How much a month

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m still not sure if I’m doing both how much I should feed her of each.
Fancy feast and some other brands as mentioned here ...
wet is an assortment of Friskies, Fancy Feast, Tiny Tiger, and Aldi brand.
... are ok. It also depends on what you're comfortable seeing in the ingredient list, and of course being sure to feed your kitten as much as it can eat because kittens need a lot, in multiple small meals daily since their tummies are too small to hold a lot of food.

Most members will suggest that more wet is preferable, but the ratio of wet compared to how much dry you feed is, as you're referring to, dependant on what you can manage budgetwise.

When your kitten reaches approximately 5-6 months you can start feeding food that is labelled All Life Stages, which may open things up regarding sale items you can take advantage of.

We have a thread that can sometimes be useful;
Cat Food Deals Forum?
Also keep an eye on the pet supplies category of the For Sale section of Nextdoor . Com. I don't have a cat at the moment but will, and although it feels a little odd to even be looking, I'm seeing some amazing cat food and litter deals that I'm very tempted to take advantage of.

Last edited:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 12 indoor cats to feed and don’t want to even guess how much I spend on litter, can food and dry food. I have to Mix the wet in with the dry to try and save, I feed them twice a day…mostly buy Friskies and FF
no other choice….

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 12 indoor cats to feed and don’t want to even guess how much I spend on litter, can food and dry food. I have to Mix the wet in with the dry to try and save, I feed them twice a day…mostly buy Friskies and FF
no other choice….
how do they do on this high phosphorus diet?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
high phosphorus
Not to sidetrack the thread but healthy individuals are able to excrete it normally.

I was going to mention, I don't have actual figures but I will combine litters so that I still have the clumping from a clay litter but a longer "life" out of the bag or jug by mixing it with something less pricey.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to sidetrack the thread but healthy individuals are able to excrete it normally.

I was going to mention, I don't have actual figures but I will combine litters so that I still have the clumping from a clay litter but a longer "life" out of the bag or jug by mixing it with something less pricey.
I do that too.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
how do they do on this high phosphorus diet?
They do ok. But they are all between 4-6 years old so I don’t know what’s down the road. I had read that the pate texture is a little bit better than the others but again I can’t get my cats to eat the pate. My oldest is 18 years old and I have issues with her appetite, there are days that I have to open three or four different cans in order for her to get to eat something. Could never get her to eat any of the diet food so to me the most important thing at her age is that she is eating. I’ve tried many times to get my cats to eat a different brand but they won’t eat anything different.

whisperedthing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to spend no more than $125 a month on cat food, but usually, end up closer to $150. I have two kittens and I feed them a variety of wet food brands (staples are Fancy Feast Kitten, Authority Kitten, Wellness, Merrick's, Nulo Medalseries, and Tiki Cat). Some weeks I'll buy some of the more expensive ones like Tiki Cat and Wellness, other weeks I stick mostly to Authority and Nulo.

I have Purina One Kitten dry food, but I haven't bought a bag in months since we only feed them a little every couple of days.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a serious reality check this week when I realized just how much I spend on cat food each month. I normally buy small amounts throughout the month as I run out of a particular flavor. I did a mock order of all the wet and dry food I would normally buy monthly and it was $300!!! Holy crap.

Needless to say, Boone and Gracie's strictly Weruva wet food is no more once the supply runs out. Going with a much cheaper brand ( seriously thinking doing Target's brand Kindfull) from now on. Whether they eat it or not is up to them. I won't be backing down or giving in. $300 on freaking cat food is ridiculous.

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a serious reality check this week when I realized just how much I spend on cat food each month. I normally buy small amounts throughout the month as I run out of a particular flavor. I did a mock order of all the wet and dry food I would normally buy monthly and it was $300!!! Holy crap.

Needless to say, Boone and Gracie's strictly Weruva wet food is no more once the supply runs out. Going with a much cheaper brand ( seriously thinking doing Target's brand Kindfull) from now on. Whether they eat it or not is up to them. I won't be backing down or giving in. $300 on freaking cat food is ridiculous.
i hear ya, thats a fricken car payment! I maybe goin the friskie route.their on weruva, nulo combo for now

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
seriously thinking doing Target's brand Kindfull
I had no idea Target had a "house" brand of cat food, thanks for the tip.

I looked, the ingredients aren't bad, and hopefully if you do a slow introduction/transition, they'll be accepting of it :vibes::crossfingers:

.their on weruva, nulo combo for now
Would you-all consider a rotating menu, of Weruva and Nulo now and then and the Friskies and Kindfull otherwise?

Also, keep an eye out for sales, TCS has a Cat Food Deals thread :)
Cat Food Deals Forum?

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I looked, the ingredients aren't bad, and hopefully if you do a slow introduction/transition, they'll be accepting of it :vibes::crossfingers:

Cat Food Deals Forum?
I had no idea Target had a brand either but apparently it's been around for over a year or more. Just googled good wet cat food on a budget and it popped up among other ones. I did a mock order just to see how much it would cost feeding wet food twice a day plus a bag of dry food. About $120 which is awesome compared to $300!! I do wish they made 5oz cans instead of just 3oz. I normally split the bigger cans between the two cats. That way I would only have to buy 60 cans rather than 120 to get me through the month. Will probably just buy every 2 weeks so I am not over run with cans.

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Would you-all consider a rotating menu, of Weruva and Nulo now and then and the Friskies and Kindfull otherwise?

Cat Food Deals Forum?
good idea

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is why I am taking the leap to breed meat rabbits for our cats food, raw and home sourced.. Much cheaper, I hope l can figure out how to to sell some locally to fellow cat parents for cheaper than regular rabbit cat food goes to help some people out, as rabbit cat food manufacturers inflate the prices like crazy and so do normal cat food manufactures. Rabbit is super cheap to raise because your feeders can - for the most part - exist primarily off of grass and fodder, not pellets.

Attachments

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise

~ Believe it or not — many "cheap" pet foods with meat & poultry by-products, liver, bone meal and chicken fat are better than the more expensive brands. Most "designer" and grain-free pet foods are marketing to unsuspecting humans with unnecessary and "fake" ingredients such as "garden greens ; pea protein ; "healthy" corn meal for carbohydrates ; etc ...
Walmart has a house brand that is actually very good with simple basic ingredients. I supplement kitty's food with Brewers yeast.
Sadly I learned the hard way after falling for all the advertising hype to " keep kitty healthy and happy" . :catlove::redcat:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is why I am taking the leap to breed meat rabbits for our cats food, raw and home sourced.. Much cheaper, I hope l can figure out how to to sell some locally to fellow cat parents for cheaper than regular rabbit cat food goes to help some people out, as rabbit cat food manufacturers inflate the prices like crazy and so do normal cat food manufactures. Rabbit is super cheap to raise because your feeders can - for the most part - exist primarily off of grass and fodder, not pellets.
Are you serious??🙀😲.