How much a month

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this "Special Kitty"? Just wondering because I took some of that to our local shelter and they wouldn't even accept it. Truth.
~ Yes — ' Special Kitty' . Perhaps they changed the formula ..? :dunno:
Kirkland brand at Costco is another alternative. Unless that had since changed ...
I still use Friskies pate and FancyFeast .

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes — ' Special Kitty' . Perhaps they changed the formula ..? :dunno:
Kirkland brand at Costco is another alternative. Unless that had since changed ...
I still use Friskies pate and FancyFeast .
I have no idea. They just flat out refused it. Usually, the shelters are grateful for all donations. I was wondering if they had experienced some issues with it in the past. I took it there because my cats wouldn't eat it.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea. They just flat out refused it. Usually, the shelters are grateful for all donations. I was wondering if they had experienced some issues with it in the past. I took it there because my cats wouldn't eat it.
~ Well that is odd. Last time I had any was over 1 year ago.
Strange as it sounds someone told me the city animal shelter would not accept clean laundered towels and sheets — only new !! :headscratch:
I steam chicken for my cats. I know a woman who makes her own cat food this way. For some that may be another option ...

🍲 🐈

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Well that is odd. Last time I had any was over 1 year ago.
Strange as it sounds someone told me the city animal shelter would not accept clean laundered towels and sheets — only new !! :headscratch:
I steam chicken for my cats. I know a woman who makes her own cat food this way. For some that may be another option ...

🍲🐈
Now that you mention it, it wasn't the shelter, it was the city animal shelter. They must have different rules and requirements. The local shelter takes all used towels and such. Used medicines too. I think a lot of people do that. I don't have the time or the energy.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is why I am taking the leap to breed meat rabbits for our cats food, raw and home sourced.. Much cheaper, I hope l can figure out how to to sell some locally to fellow cat parents for cheaper than regular rabbit cat food goes to help some people out, as rabbit cat food manufacturers inflate the prices like crazy and so do normal cat food manufactures. Rabbit is super cheap to raise because your feeders can - for the most part - exist primarily off of grass and fodder, not pellets.
Where are you going to keep these rabbits? You must live in a rural area with some land. How are you going to butcher them when the time comes? Have you raised and butchered animals before? I have so many questions. It’s an intriguing idea but it would never work with my current lifestyle.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
RX dry food, about $50. Though I probably spend 80 hours a month fighting her to eat. So there's some opportunity lost there 😹
I know, I know...but the wet food resulted in more of a fight to get her to eat.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Believe it or not — many "cheap" pet foods with meat & poultry by-products, liver, bone meal and chicken fat are better than the more expensive brands. Most "designer" and grain-free pet foods are marketing to unsuspecting humans with unnecessary and "fake" ingredients such as "garden greens ; pea protein ; "healthy" corn meal for carbohydrates ; etc ...
Walmart has a house brand that is actually very good with simple basic ingredients. I supplement kitty's food with Brewers yeast.
Sadly I learned the hard way after falling for all the advertising hype to " keep kitty healthy and happy" . :catlove::redcat:
In my case, it had little to do with advertising and everything to do with what the cats would consistently eat without any fuss.

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you serious??🙀😲.
I am. Rabbit is a natural and common food source for cats in the wild, in fact, the majority of a wild cats diet consists of largely rodents as opposed to fowl, especially chicken and things of that nature.. Lets not get into the logistics of cats eating beef in the wild.. :lol:
media_2018_09_2018_KT_cowcat.jpg

:goldstar:^ That page has some information on rabbits being a staple in cats diets. Also, this is a fantastic entry point into biologically accurate feline nutrition.
Where are you going to keep these rabbits? You must live in a rural area with some land. How are you going to butcher them when the time comes? Have you raised and butchered animals before? I have so many questions. It’s an intriguing idea but it would never work with my current lifestyle.
We have 50 acres and currently raise ducks and chickens in coops, breeder rabbits will be kept in the garage while feeders go on pasture - rabbits can be kept kind of easily in the city; although that isn't what I am doing, as for butchering, the broomstick method is what I prefer. You can look up some videos on broomsticking, but I won't link them just in case anyones squeemish. I've butchered so far rabbit; deer, chicken, duck, etc. Here's a video showing roughly what raising them looks like, and here's another!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am. Rabbit is a natural and common food source for cats in the wild, in fact, the majority of a wild cats diet consists of largely rodents as opposed to fowl, especially chicken and things of that nature.. Lets not get into the logistics of cats eating beef in the wild.. :lol:
View attachment 443175

:goldstar:^ That page has some information on rabbits being a staple in cats diets. Also, this is a fantastic entry point into biologically accurate feline nutrition.

We have 50 acres and currently raise ducks and chickens in coops, breeder rabbits will be kept in the garage while feeders go on pasture - rabbits can be kept kind of easily in the city; although that isn't what I am doing, as for butchering, the broomstick method is what I prefer. You can look up some videos on broomsticking, but I won't link them just in case anyones squeemish. I've butchered so far rabbit; deer, chicken, duck, etc. Here's a video showing roughly what raising them looks like, and here's another!
As you are likely aware, the only downside of rabbit meat is that it is low in taurine, so supplementation would likely be necessary.

Bill

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have several weeks worth of food left so I'm not switching yet but I just can't give up Boone and Gracie eating well at least once a day so I'm going to stick with Weruva for the morning meal. And I decided to go with WholeHearted for the evening meal since I can get everything from Petco. I am getting the 5oz cans in both brands which I split between the two cats. The Weruva will last me 2 months and the WholeHearted will last me 3 months. I do plan on picking up a few cans of WholeHearted just to test it out a week or so before making the initial order. Hopefully they like it and there are no upset tummies to deal with. I used to switch food monthly when they were babies but have been feeding exclusively Weruva for at least a year if not a little longer.

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow such an interesting thread!
I’m in Europe, and i buy a good canned brand in bulk online - around 70€ for 3 months, and i mix it with home-made raw food, which costs me about 40€ a month (and much more in time!).Adding to that 20€ for a big bag of litter that lasts 2 months, so I’m reaching appx 80€ monthly for 2 cats.
A little bit cheaper, but you have to make tome for the home-made preparation!

OrangeTabbyDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 Canadian cats, one is on a Rx diet, the other won't touch anything other than weruva pate pouches. Total $280 in food, plus $60 for litter. I dream of having lower bills... But my human food bills are 2x theirs, so I think it's fair. They're my kids.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I don't like about feeding exclusively Weruva. The expense. Between $2-$3 each and since I feed one flavor per meal totally 14 different varieties a week, my bill was nuts. I am hoping that only feeding Weruva once a day and another cheaper brand once a day will cut my bill dramatically. At least I will only be buying more food every 2-3 months because I get the 5oz cans to split between the two cats. Weruva comes in an 8 pack and the other comes in a 12 pack.