How many times per year do you breed your queens?

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Yah Meeka is indoors and I think we keep it warm enough that she will cycle all year (we're pretty bad about keeping the lights on a lot too). I know its early and I'm not as experienced but I think thats just how she will be.

I've also heard a lot of people put their queens on antibiotics if they go into heat and they don't want to breed them yet. I guess thats always an option too.
About what temp do you keep it at? Mine seems to cycle year-round and since we live in an apartment it's the most annoying thing EVER!

What type of antibiotics? Would it be to prevent pyo?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure the antibiotics but I know its been talked about on TIBBA. Some people don't take a chance at all and start antibiotics immediately if they won't breed.

I keep the house at 72-73F . In the summer its naturally warmer. I'd like to keep it cooler in here but my fiance wouldn't hear of it

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in that theory - I think it just depends on the individual cat. My Persians and Exotics are in natural and artificial light 24-7 (they have lights on when it's dark) and natural light during the day, and they call normally.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Do some people leave queens with their kittens for FOUR months? Our kittens stay with the queens for two months.
All my cats (at the moment 3 adults and 3 newborns) live in my home with me so the kittens stay with their mother until they move away from here which they do no earlier than at 16 weeks of age. I see no need to separate the kittens from their mother and I actuarally don't know any breeder who do that.

When it comes to numer of litters each year... That's individual. You have to look at the cat to be able to determine what is suitable. Some females don't go into heat during the autumn/winter/summer while some females go into heat every month all year long.

Some females recover fast after they've raised a litter, some take longer time. So, we have to see every breeding queen for who she is and make plans that suit her.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good on you that you keep your kittens with their mothers that long. Maybe Devon Rex kittens don't suck the life out of their mothers like Persians do. My kitten is just on nine weeks, he will be going to his new home next week at ten weeks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

Here breeders generally leave the kittens with mom for 3 months and they are not weined any sooner. My bengals will breed year round. I haven't noticed any calling behavior in any of my females, but they will breed and get prego year round. I don't know why all of my queens have silent heats...maybe im just lucky?
It seems everytime I open my big mouth about something murphys law has to kick me in the head....my marble queen has gone into heat and she's driving me nuts. She's not too loud but she just keeps meowing and meowing. And boy does she want my snow stud, she looks into his pen and mows. She can't have him though because I let my young stud breed her.
I put her in with my snow stud like a month or more ago and never seen them breed. I finally put her back in with the young stud and my charcoal queen and she comes into heat! Go figure.... guess that means she won't be having kittens with my snow stud, she'll be having them (hopefully having some) with my young brown stud.
Im just holding my breath to see if she gets prego. When I first got her she had a thick yellowish discharge coming from her vulva (not a lot). I took her to the vet and the vet said she was fine and it was just her uterus contracting after she had a litter of kittens. Im still skeptical though. I think she might have CEH and she may be sterile.