How many pills do you take per day?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of days ago I actually sat down and dispensed a month worth of pills into one of those pill organizers so that I wouldn't have stand and open bottles everyday because there were some days where I just didn't feel up to it, or didn't have time to. Today while I was taking my morning pills, I actually counted them. Every morning I gulp down 16 pills!

3 1/2 of them are prescription (thyroid pill, Celexa, low dose ASA), the rest are supplements in an attempt to boost my immune system because I don't always eat well balanced meals.

Here is what I take in addition to my prescriptions:

Royal Jelly
- 2 capsules daily
- For my asthma

Echinacea
- 2 capsules daily
- Recently started
- To treat my current and to prevent future colds. However, there is no real clinical evidence that it works. I'm hedging my bets anyway.

One-A-Day Women's Formula
- 1 pill daily
- Because I don't always eat nutritionally complete meals everyday

Odorless Garlic
- 4 capsules daily (2 in the morning and 2 at night)
- Recently started
- To treat my current and to prevent future colds.

Zinc
- 1 pill daily
- To treat my current and to prevent future colds. Seems to have been effective until this year. Until now, the last cold I had was at least 6 years ago.

VitaminD
- 3 pills daily
- Informally prescribed by my pain clinic doctor because I do not like to sit outside in the sun. It helps manage my depression as well as pain.

In addition to the above I am going to the pharmacy to pick up Vitamin B Complex as well as Vitamin C.

So what are you pill regimes?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't believe in taking a lot of pills. Even the doctor on CBC said that vitamin pills are not the best way to get vitamins because the body doesn't absorb them the way our body uses the vitamins in food.

Unfortunately, at age 63, I do have a couple pills I find I need to take - 1 HRT and 1 (Losec - sp?)for heartburn which I had frequently after I quit smoking. I'm actually going to try to stop taking that one to see if I'm OK without it now. As for the HRT, I quit taking it for over a year but the hot flashes became so frequent and debillitating, I've started to take them again for the last month.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm, too many for my age, too many for my liking...but less than I once did.

Mine vary, as one is a painkiller which is taken as needed.... somedays I take 2 of em, some days I have to take 12/day.

My second prescription: 2-3 daily

Third prescription: 2 daily

Fourth: - iron pills when it is that time of the month (1 a day for 7 days)

Total prescription on a rough day: 18pills. Min. daily: 7/day (that's a very good day)

I take: (for better health, and pain issues)

- multivitamin (one a day womens formula)

- physillium fibre pills (2-6)

- advil and tylenol as needed (now I can take them from time to time, as my prescription painkiller does not have any added to it) (2-12/day)

- cranberry supplement (2pills a day)

- diruetic (1-4 a day, depending how bad the swelling is)

Total non-prescription: 6- 24/day

So on a good day, I take bout 13 pills a day..... ( I don't have a lot of good days
)

So far this morning I've already taken 3 prescription meds (4pills), advil, and am about to take my fibre, cranberry and vitamin here with my breakie.

I am working on my diet, so that I can stop some of the pills I take..... if I can avoid taking them, I would rather do that. Unfortunately, 2 of the prescriptions I will be on for the rest of my life..... the other two, if I could increase my iron enough through food, I could quit taking it.... and if I learn to sleep, I could quit taking those too.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I have 5 prescribed ones taken on a regular basis with a short term one for an antiobiotic. (Only a couple doses left of that one.) I'd be on 6 if I could afford it.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way to many...

I take 5 prescription drugs, the dumb thing about it is I take the 5th Pantalogue so I can take the other 4 and not get sick.
I also now take Potassium and Iron.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Way to many...

I take 5 prescription drugs, the dumb thing about it is I take the 5th Pantalogue so I can take the other 4 and not get sick.
I also now take Potassium and Iron.
Irony at its finest

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
14:
1 Ferrous Sulfate
1 Prilosec
1 Multi-vitamin
2 Vit-C
2 Glucosamine/Chondroitin
1 Niacin
2 Melatonin
4 Bee pollen/Royal Jelly

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Three:
blood pressure pill
omega-3 supplement
calcium supplement

I'm debating whether to start taking a multi-vitamin again.
As for the BP pill, it's a very low dose (reduced by half a couple months ago) that I'm hoping to be off completely. Doctor says that with my continued exercise and diet, it's "within the realm of possibility."

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 pills - metoprolol and baby aspirin for preventative measures, and multi vitamin.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three daily: Zoloft, Prilosec (OTC), and a dissolvable allergy tablet. All in the morning. When I have them, I also have those chewable multivitamins. I have difficulty swallowing large pills regularly... so the chewable ones are good... and they're chocolate flavored (Viactiv).

Depending on my pain levels through the day, I take either one or two Aleve/Excedrin/Bayer...

And at night, if I have no pain, I take Melatonin (GNC, timed release)...
but if I have spasms, I take a Skelaxin...
if there's just pain, I take Advil PM...

every once in a while I take nothing before bed...

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take 2. Yaz and the pill for my thyroid. I hope after some time I can stop taking the thyroid pill. My parents have a lot of pills to take.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't take any unless I have a headache or something, then I take ibuprofen. I'm boycotting all the companies that do direct to consumer advertising so I take generic ibuprofen
Lol not really it's not that much of a conscious decision but I DO hate them..

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Four. 2 prescription (BC and antidepressant), and 2 non (multi vitamin and vitamin C). Usually there's a painkiller and some heartburn meds thrown in there too.....

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see...

I'm supposed to take:
2 Nexium daily (usually only do 1)
1 beta-blocker (definitely do this one)
Nasal spray (bad about this one...need to refill)
2 iron pills daily (bad about these, I don't like them)
Allergy medications as necessary, rare nowadays
Nausea medication as necessary, up to 3 a day, also rare for now

Was recently on:
1-2 Elavil a day for stomach problems
1 diuretic

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
0 Rx.
1 Folic Acid supplement (suppose to be daily). I started this in Jan this year. In the event I become pregnant, this is thought to help prevent very early (mostly before it is known one is preg) birth defects.
My diet is very balanced and healthy. And I love getting out in the sun and live in a place where that is possible.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take one scrip a day for blood pressure and if I have a headache I take ibuprofen, that is not usually everyday tho