How many people do you get gifts for during the holidays?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
List for fun please

How many people do you get gifts for during Christmas? (list out please for fun)
Do you buy or make? A mixture?
Are you a late shopper, or do you have it all done early?
Do you wrap each one, or do you bag it? Or do you have someone else do the wrapping?
Do you enjoy shopping for Christmas?
Do you enjoy gifting to others for Christmas?
What is the average price (speaking generally) if you feel comfortable listing on each person you listed?
Do you save for Christmas all year or deal with it as it comes?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 15 for me.

Some I make, some I buy, some I stress over, some are easy to buy for.

Like to wrap - to a point.

Amount spent depends on my income and who. Usually spend most on Sis and BIL.

If I hadn't gotten sick Tuesday I would have probably finished shopping. As it is now I may end up writing checks.

But I love giving and watching others open their presents.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Way too many!! It's gotten out of hand really! My nieces and nephews have multiplied and what not, so we've taken to just doing "couple" gifts. And when it comes to certain people, I only send them a gift if they give one back (like certain aunts and cousins, etc).

I've made things in the past but not so much anymore. Sometimes it costs me just as much!

I don't start before November unless I specifically find something for someone. My Aunt is fantastic; she'll have everything bought and wrapped in July sometimes. I just don't think that far out!

I enjoy the process of gift giving for the most part. This year it has been hard and I was really last minute mailing out most of the presents.

I wrap just about everything for the most part since most things get mailed out. But this year I'm doing several gift bags for convenience sake! And I always do it myself! For me it's fun to go over everything I've found for people. Since I don't see most of my family for any holidays it's nice to take another minute or two and think of each of them specifically.

So yes I really enjoy the gift giving process! I did awful with it this year. It's been hard to get into the mood to shop but I succeeded eventually! LOL!

As far as how much I spend; well it depends on who it is, how much I have to use, and sometimes how much they tend to give themselves. This year I hit some GREAT deals!

We've generally just dealt with Christmas as it has come. I've never had a Christmas account at the bank or anything like that. Maybe we will consider that with the baby coming this year. Next Christmas is sure to be fun!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

List for fun please

How many people do you get gifts for during Christmas? (list out please for fun)
Do you wrap each one, or do you bag it? Or do you have someone else do the wrapping?
What is the average price (speaking generally) if you feel comfortable listing on each person you listed?
Well over 20. I am not sure how it happened, but this Christmas I took better notes of everyone. Mostly family, significant other, mom, dad, siblings, all in-laws -parents/siblings, nieces, nephews, a favorite cousin, grandparents, a favorite uncle, a few friends, a nice white elephant gift for a social function, and of course cannot forget the pets. I am sure I am leaving someone out of the list.
I buy everything, very rarely do I home-make anything.
This year I was early, I had 1/2 done at the end of October. Now all are wrapped and ready. Cards were sent the first week of December.
I hate shopping, because in general I am not a shopper but I sure do
love
giving gifts to others.
I don't have a savings for Christmas, but I am thinking I should start!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very few, my BF and I just do stocking stuffers and instead use the money for some time off work together, usually going away for a few days.

My family long since stopped doing gifts for all but younger children, instead, volunteering their time at a charity over Christmas together. Last year my mum bought a cow through Oxfam in my name for Christmas and we often do the shoebox project for orphanages etc where you fill a shoebox with gifts and they are distributed.

We really dont need anything so dont see the point in buying stuff that we can wait a few days and get much cheaper if its something we do need.

So the rest of your questions are kind of N/A for me
although the kitties usually get quite a few things

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5-7 ...I hate christmas shopping. I try to do it online, but I always feel like I'm buying useless things, and my family doesn't do gift cards so I can't just get that. My mom on the other hand goes all out and always tries to be so creative, always puts so much thought into what she is giving and tries to give something meaningful. We shop together sometimes and I don't have the patience for her overthinking out loud every single gift she buys

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not celebrate... I give gifts all year round to friends and fur family( no skin s left)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 siblings, 2 nephews, mum & her partner, dad and his wife

Buy

Early, I like to be done by September/October

Depends on the gift, if it's an odd shape it goes in a bag

Yes, we tell each other what we want so it's easy

Yes

$30-60

I get the younger ones toys in August as they have toy sales here for xmas at that time. Don't save for it, or have a xmas account.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This year I bought for:
2 daughters
1 husband
2 in-laws (we draw names for his family)
SS
A couple of friends.

So I guess technically I should have voted for 8-10, but I voted for 5-7.

A mixture, but this year was mostly bought. I did make some goodies in a tin for my neighbours. (I don't count them as buying for, because its just a normal thing, we share baked goods)

A bit of both.... I shop all year round, then forget what I have or don't have and now I'm left with today, I have to go look in my closet and see if I need to get the kids anything else. To me, 4 shopping days till xmas is late shopping LOL.

Combo of wrapping and bagging. Opening bags is just not the same as opening wrapping paper. We all do the wrapping, kids help with parent stuff, hubby helps with kid stuff. Speaking of which, that I have to check today....make sure theres more wrapping paper, otherwise I will have to go out.

Indeed I do, but I prefer doing it NOT around Christmas time... its too busy, and I find people to be rude around this time because they are in a rush, etc.

To me, that is one of the best parts of Christmas.... the giving.

I am more disappointed if someone didn't like what I got them, than if I don't get anything.

Oh wow, this is kinda tough.

DH: ummm, prolly around the $300 mark.
In-Laws: the limit is 50 ea.... So $100 there
Kids: this one I wouldn't even be able to tell you unless I sat back and added things up. This year we were fairly fortunate, so I was able to get some of the more expensive gifts (the ones that cost $50 or more each....) that they wanted.

Its going to be a good Christmas.
Thanks to DH's work bonus.

The way I shop throws a budget out the window...because I sale shop all year round, the amount goes out the window as I don't keep track of it. Though next Christmas, I need to keep track of it, and will prolly put a limit on DH and myself.

answerred above.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
21. My mom, sister, husband, in-laws, 4 grandmas (mine and hubbys), all the kids on my moms side of the family (6 of them), my husbands family, my boss and the people whos names we drew

Buy

Late shopper. I did about 90% of my shopping 2 days ago and still have my in laws and my husband to buy for.

Wrap each one

For certain people. In my family there is 6 boys to buy for between the ages of 5 and 10 and I don't know what boys that age like. I don't mind shopping for my mom and sister. My husband cousins (I think 6 and 9) are the easiest to buy for because I work at Claire's and girls that age love pretty much anything from there.

yes

On my husband-$100-150
Parents, inlaws, sister and the people we draw: $50-60
Kids- About $10-15
Grandmas- About $15-20

I usually just go out and blow one paycheque and buy everything at once

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
non family:

3 younger girls (all sisters)....home made (pillows with matching picture frame tiny pillows). their mother: bought small "crafty" gift. all placed in gift bags

30 year old developmentally disabled girl: 1 home made pillow, small toys collected over the year from various sources (no money spent) all wrapped individually because that's what she loves. Her parents, bought gifts, wrapped.

friends (10) technically home made; had desk calendars printed up with photographs of sky that I took throughout the year. All mailed, none wrapped.

family:

adults: "Aunt Gigi's Famous Baked Macaroni and Cheese Casserole". I make a pan for each: brother and sister in law, three sisters and my mother. (a true labor of love, the sauce alone takes 2 hours). Frozen, unbaked, wrapped in foil.

five nieces and nephews: now that they are all teens I've decided they are getting cash. $20 bill with a giant Hershey bar put into a gift box that is already decorated so does not need to be wrapped. (up until this year I did individual thought out gifts for each kid, but my sisters assure me they would rather have the cash and that is fine with me)

All the cats in my life (other people's cats I mean) I make self warming cat beds. They get mailed. This year I have made and mailed 14.

here's a few of them:

One of the recipients:

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many people do you get gifts for during Christmas? I voted for 18+ b/c I'm sure there are some people I'm not counting and I got to 17
Do you buy or make? A mixture? Buy
Are you a late shopper, or do you have it all done early? Late, we just did most of our shopping in the past few days
Do you wrap each one, or do you bag it? Or do you have someone else do the wrapping? Wrap
Do you enjoy shopping for Christmas? Sometimes
Do you enjoy gifting to others for Christmas? Yes, if they are children. I don't think I should have to buy for adults
What is the average price (speaking generally) if you feel comfortable listing on each person you listed? About $20 per person, a bit more for my parents and sister
Do you save for Christmas all year or deal with it as it comes? Deal with it as it comes.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I would buy for about 25 people easy but in past years I cannot afford even close to that. I mainly buy just for my older sister, I sometimes give her son cash in a card when I am able. Just can't afford it anymore.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
26 total.
FH
Mom, Dad, Brother
Grandmother & Grandparents
2 cousins
FH's parents
FH's sisters and their husbands
His 2 nieces & 1 nephew
2 of his aunts, and 2 of his cousins

PLUS, we get 2 people for the Secret Santa gift exchange Christmas Eve, and we do "stockings" (scavenger hunt w/ 10 categories) with his sisters every year - this year was couples, so we had 2.

Buy

Early...I had lots of vacation days to use up this year, so I used them all up in November and early December. All my shopping is done and wrapped ..

Wrap mostly, except if they're giftcards I use bags.

Eh, not really. I hate going out this time of the year, because the drivers are more crazy and the people are mostly more rude. I'd rather do online shopping. I do have fun shopping for the kids, and finding cute things for them though.

Yep

FH - depends. This year was about $150, I've spent more though.
My parents - was about $100 this year, but my brother went on with us on their stuff
Grandmother and grandparents - $25
2 cousins - about $15 or so
FH's parents - Whatever we can get his dad since he's a hard shopper, and we usually go in with his sisters for his mom so probably $50 or so. Not quite sure on that ..
His sisters and husbands - $25 each
Nieces & nephew - we get them an outfit and a toy each year. Maybe $30-$40 each
Aunts & 2 cousins - Roughly $15 each

Deal with it as it comes. My credit card bill is higher this time of the year. But I pay it all off at once and am done with it after the season

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Husband
The Furkids
Son
DIL
Grandkids
Parents
In-laws (and their dog)
Three co-workers
Some friends via the mail

Usually a bit of both as I enjoy baking.

A bit of both, I guess. I'm now in the process of putting together cookies and candies for mailing.

DH wraps the gifts. I do wrap his presents. And I put my co-workers gifts in gift bags.

Overall, yes, although the crowds can make me a little crazy.

Yes, we always have.

Husband: $300 - $400, sometimes more or less
Son: $150
DIL: $150
Grandkids: $100 each, give or take
Parents: $100
In-Laws: $125 (Actually we pay for my MIL's cell phone as her Christmas present. We have no idea what to get her as she has everything she needs. This seemed like a good plan and she appreciates it. We'll give her a little something, too, so she has something to open.)
Co-workers: $20, depending
Friends through the mail: $25, approximately, depending

I have a "Christmas Club" that comes in October and we can use it for whatever. If I happen to see something throughout the year that I know somebody would like, I'll buy it (and hope I remember that I have it). We refuse to use our credit cards.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
~17
Parents/Inlaws, Husband, Siblings, Nieces/Nephews, Friends, Grandparents, Pets. Also donate to a few charity groups.

Buy the gifts but are crafty with inserts for the Christmas cards

If I see something in summer for someone, I will get it then - but I do most of it the first 2 weeks after Thanksgiving.

I used to LOVE wrapping paper - it's so pretty. However I like re-using bags/tissue paper - I hate seeing all that paper thrown out. I am probably 50/50 - some things are better wrapped (or boxed).
I LOVE wrapping gifts. I am not very good at it - I wrap gifts like a 5 year old still - but I really enjoy it.

I love love love finding gifts for people that they will love. However I hate crowds.. and I hate shopping for tricky people. So I try to just go out and walk around and wait to see something that "hits" me as that person.

Yes

My husband and I set a limit each year for each other. I used to spend a lot more on my friends (ironically when I was making less money) but I figured out that they don't spend a lot on me, so I cut back a lot on them, and am more generous with family and charity.

We try to cut out stupid spending around Christmas to help pay for things but mostly just deal with it as it comes.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Partner
Mum
Dad
Ex Step Dad
Current Step Dad
Nana
Aunty & Uncle 1
Aunty & Uncle 2
5 cousins
Secret Santa with Kieran's family
A few misc

usually 14+

buy

a mixture, but this year I'm all done!

a bit of both, usually wrapping

no

yes

$20

Do you save for Christmas all year or deal with it as it comes

as it comes

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The amount of ppl varies from year to year. Generally around 10-15.

All bought. I'm not too talented craft-wise.

I try to have all my shopping done at least two months ahead of time, although this year I got behind due to finances.

Most of them I wrap - some are bagged. I'd prefer it if I had someone else do the wrapping, because I hate wrapping stuff!

Online, yes. In the stores, NO!

YES!!

It depends upon the person. An average estimate would be around $25.00.

I pretty much deal with it when it comes.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Lets see...immediate family there's DH and the cats (who are easy and fun to buy for), my parents, also easy and fun, my brother and grandparents who are a bit of a challenge and my inlaws who are absolutely nightmarish to buy for.

I do a bit of buying and a bit of homemade usually. there are also the unofficial gifts like the quilt my mom saw me finishing and convinced me to give her.

Alot of my family can do the same crafts as me, but we do different styles so we'll often make something that the person can make but wouldn't have made for themselves (hope that made sense)

I try to get it done early but always end up finishing about a week before Christmas.

I love wrapping and wrap as many of mine as I can. My brother used to bribe me to do his wrapping for him when we were kids.

I actually hate Christmas shopping. It's like pulling teeth to get me out to the stores after December 1st.

I love giving gifts. It makes me smile.

We usually set a yearly average. this year was $35 per person.

I don't save for Christmas, but I try to stagger my shopping so that it' not too drastic.