How Many Ounces Of Wet Cat Food Does Your Cat Eat Per Day?

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mookie is currently 11.4 pounds. She's 15-years old. She eats as little as 3 ounces a day and has peaked at 6 ounces a day. The directions on various different brands of wet food suggest she should be eating about 9-12 ounces of wet food per day.

:noway:

How about your cats?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Same here. I've been experimenting with between 3oz and 5.5oz per day for each cat. Then I give some kibble on the side.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
each of mine are different. i offer them as much as they will eat, 2 or 3 times per day. one girl, maybe 1 oz, other girl about 3 oz, boys 5 or 6 oz each. I do offer kibble as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What the food manufacturers suggest is usually about twice what they need, at least that's what we've discovered. But that being said, every cat is different, just like humans. I've got two cats, and the smaller one eats more than the larger one! Why? I guess his metabolism rate is faster or something. They are the same age, but the smaller one runs around like a crazy cat, while the large one (by 4 pounds) is quite the couch potato :sigh:.

So what I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter how much other people feed their cats, what matters is whether YOUR cat maintains her weight at what you feed her. Plus, different cans vary vastly in the amount of calories they contain. Some have as little as 45 calories per 3 oz, and some have 110 calories plus per 3 oz. It's like comparing apples to grapes.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My four month old tiny puny girl eats 6,345,127 ounces per hour, plus one half steer, three lambs, and 17 Beluga whales. She’s eating us out of house and home! But seriously, she’s eating between 8-12 ounces of high grade wet and about 1/8-1/4 cup kibble a day. No joke! But seriously, send help. And animal food sacrifices. :thud:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My four month old tiny puny girl eats 6,345,127 ounces per hour, plus one half steer, three lambs, and 17 Beluga whales. She’s eating us out of house and home! But seriously, she’s eating between 8-12 ounces of high grade wet and about 1/8-1/4 cup kibble a day. No joke! But seriously, send help. And animal food sacrifices. :thud:
:flail::crackup::crackup::flail:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will also depend on the food you are serving and how calorically dense it is.

My 8 pound 1-year old female eats about 3.5-4 ounces of canned food and 1/2 ounce of raw food per day which is much more calorically dense than the canned (so 4-4.5 ounces total). She also gets about 1/8 cup of air dried raw.

Last edited:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo gets 6oz of homemade raw and 1.5oz of a 3oz can. Stevie gets the other 1.5oz of the 3oz can and two thirds of a 5oz can. She also gets an eighth cup of dry.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been experimenting and my cats seem to do best when they get at least 3/4 of a 5.5oz can of wet food each per day. They do even better on a full can each per day. Then they get a little dry food to snack on. I tried half a can each, but it just didn't seem to be enough moisture for them. Hope this info is useful. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been experimenting and my cats seem to do best when they get at least 3/4 of a 5.5oz can of wet food each per day. They do even better on a full can each per day. Then they get a little dry food to snack on. I tried half a can each, but it just didn't seem to be enough moisture for them. Hope this info is useful. :)
So, your cats eat at least 4.125 ounces per day. By the end of today, Mookie will have eaten three 5.5 ounce cans since Saturday morning (I just started tracking more accurately), which is 4.125 ounces per day. Plus some treats here and there. Ha, the same as your cats. I guess she's OK.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they eat a full 5.5oz can of food, I'd say they eat about 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of dry food each. If they eat 3/4 can then it's more like 1/3 cup of dry food each.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It varies because sometimes my cat doesn't want to finish his food, other times it seems like I've never fed him in his life. Generally, it's about 4oz of raw food, and either 1/2 a 5.5oz can or a full one per day.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On a normal day (if everyone is feeling well), about 6 ounces each plus kibble (2 cans Fancy Feast per cat split into about four feedings since they will only eat 1/2 can at a time.