How many here feed birds?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alas, we have hawks here too, and the poor mourning doves suffer for it. The other resident birds are able to escape the hawks' grasp, but not the mourning doves. :frown:
I never saw one grab a dove, but they get at least 1 pigeon every 2 weeks. Poor things. Makes me feel horrible when I see this.

I've also discovered that Starlings are like a garbage disposal... they eat just about everything... EXCEPT peanuts.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I always feel bad when I see a hawk snatch a smaller bird or when the Great Blue Herons take the young koi from our lake. Many years ago, a bird (I can't remember what kind) built a nest on one of the pillars on our front porch. I watched in horror as a crow methodically picked off all of the babies one afternoon, one after the other, while the mother bird fluttered frantically--and futilely--around. Awful. But I remind myself that that's Nature and creatures have to eat. I just want it to happen when I'm not around. :(

Occasionally, I'll see a hawk sitting silently in the tree by our feeders, waiting, waiting. Mostly, when he swoops in, the little guys take off, and the hawk is unsuccessful.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...But I remind myself that that's Nature and creatures have to eat. I just want it to happen when I'm not around. :( Occasionally, I'll see a hawk sitting silently in the tree by our feeders, waiting, waiting. Mostly, when he swoops in, the little guys take off, and the hawk is unsuccessful.
I know, it is terrible to have to witness this stuff. Hawks hang out in our trees all the time, and most of the time (thankfully) they are also unsuccessful. Just every now and again, the mourning doves get 'lax' and the hawks take advantage of it.