How Many Hairballs is Too Many?

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone - Long time, no post! I have a question about my cat Puffy, a neutered male who's almost 2 now. Puffy is a very puffy cat (lots of fur), and he's been shedding A LOT this spring. I mean, we have Puffy hair all over the house, and I have to vacuum every day. I even brush his hair to cut down on shedding, and it doesn't seem to help.

Anyway, Puffy has been throwing up about 2 - 3 times a day for weeks now, ever since he started shedding so much. (I think there's been one day this week that he didn't throw up.) He's not throwing up food, just a ton of bile and a hairball every 3rd or 4th time. I'm getting pretty tired of cleaning the carpet! (Not to mention the stains!)

Is this normal for hairballs? I've tried hairball formula cat food, and that doesn't make a difference. He's been on the same cat food forever, and he doesn't usually throw up food.

Puffy's a very healthy cat with lots of energy. He's not acting sick at all, that's why I'm leaning towards hairballs.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to see your post Dawn! I don't have any advice for you, but you might be interested in this thread http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...threadid=15278 which is about the effectiveness of using a rubber brush called a Zoom Groom, members here are getting fantastic results.

Hopefully, one of the more knowledgeable members will respond soon with some good advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lorie - Thanks for the link. I'll probably be trying that out soon. I'm tired of hair wafting across the floor all day long! Puffy hasn't thrown up yet today, but the day isn't over yet. I did get some hairball medication for him and got him to take that. I wonder if that will do the trick.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi dawnt91

If it were me, I'd take Puffy in for a vet's visit... throwing up 2-3 times a day for weeks seems like an awful lot. I think that cats can get very dehydrated throwing up that frequently... and I don't think throwing up bile is good either... I'm by far no expert, but it definitely doesn't sound good.
Hopefully one of our more knowledgeable members will be able to give you more accurate information.

I hope your little guy is feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been two days now with no throwing up. Maybe the hairball medication is really making a difference. Although I couldn't get him to take it today, he's figured out what that's all about!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just make sure and keep a good eye on him
It sounds like either a hairball/obstruction sort of problem, or he's not tolerating the food as well anymore. Instead of the hairball goop from the store, you can just try adding an omega 3 fatty acid and fish oil liquid to the food. Usually in cases with long haired cats, it's easiest to keep them somewhat lubed up on a regular basis. When they have the oils in the food, the hair tends to slide right through and comes out in the litter box.