How Many Feliway Diffusers Would Be Recommended?

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just brought home a new kitten, a 6 month old male, and we have our resident cat, an 11 month old female. While there's been no actual aggression aside from resident cat hissing when approached too closely by the kitten, I can tell she's very unsettled and anxious about the new cat still after 6 days. Her appetite is very off, and she's being territorial about everything (such as making a point to eat from new kittens bowl and use his litter box while he's watching, and staring him down when he goes into her preferred areas and sometimes chasing him away).

I was thinking a Feliway diffuser may help since it seems to work for everyone who uses it. Big question is- how many diffusers should I get and how big of a range will each cover? I live in a 2 story house and the cats go on both floors. We have a litter box and a food station (dry food and water) upstairs in a spare bedroom for the resident cat, but the kitten loves going up there, and we have another food station in the kitchen (wet food and water) for resident cat as well. Then we currently have the kittens food station and litter box in a separate room downstairs but keep the door open now because he hates being shut in. Soon we will give him the same set up as the other cat, with dry food upstairs and wet food in kitchen. Any suggestions of how many I should get? And how quickly do they start to work? And how effective are they if I move them around a bit?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
#1 Because momma cats a protective of their kittens your resident cat is afraid of the new kittens mother so she's trying to shoo the kitten away.

#2 Best way to introduce a new cat is 1-2 week quarantine in a spare room so that all cats can get accustomed to each others scents without feeling threatened. During the quarantine period you can "switch them out" for a few minutes during the day.

$3 IIRC each diffuser covers 500 sqft. I've used the diffusers and pump spray. Maybe place the diffuser near food and in sleeping areas?

best of luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. We did the quarantine thing for a few days but the kitten hated being cooped up and would scratch at the door so we let him have free range now. They play together sometimes but the resident cat wants it to be on her terms and wants to let the kitten know who's in charge. I think that's going to be a permanent thing in their relationship since he's fairly submissive

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
We've used them on and off for a few years now and honestly it depends on the size and layout of your house. If the house is reasonably open concept, one per floor has worked for us - our vet said they easily do 500-700 square feet of open space, but if you have a long hallway in your house you may need one at each end.

PennyCatMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had good luck with Feliway spray. I think it works well, but it's not a miracle drug. I'm betting that within a week everything will have settled down whether or not you get Feliway.

But, if you do, the plugin really only covers one room, so I'd put one in just a couple of the rooms where the cats tend to spend their time. We find it lasts about 30 days or so.

There are studies that show that they work quite well in some cases. But again, I don't think it's a miracle drug.

Good luck!
Penny

Sagem44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just brought home a new kitten, a 6 month old male, and we have our resident cat, an 11 month old female. While there's been no actual aggression aside from resident cat hissing when approached too closely by the kitten, I can tell she's very unsettled and anxious about the new cat still after 6 days. Her appetite is very off, and she's being territorial about everything (such as making a point to eat from new kittens bowl and use his litter box while he's watching, and staring him down when he goes into her preferred areas and sometimes chasing him away).

I was thinking a Feliway diffuser may help since it seems to work for everyone who uses it. Big question is- how many diffusers should I get and how big of a range will each cover? I live in a 2 story house and the cats go on both floors. We have a litter box and a food station (dry food and water) upstairs in a spare bedroom for the resident cat, but the kitten loves going up there, and we have another food station in the kitchen (wet food and water) for resident cat as well. Then we currently have the kittens food station and litter box in a separate room downstairs but keep the door open now because he hates being shut in. Soon we will give him the same set up as the other cat, with dry food upstairs and wet food in kitchen. Any suggestions of how many I should get? And how quickly do they start to work? And how effective are they if I move them around a bit?
Hi there, I have recently (2 weeks ago) adopted my third furry boy from OHS. He was very scared due to his previous owners bad treatment. So when Vet recommended to buy and use Feliway diffuser at least for a month, I didn't hesitate to buy it. As soon as we got home, I plugged it in his bedroom (until my two cats and him ready to meet, I have a separate room for this new boy Tiny). And I slept with him that night until I woke up middle of the night feeling dizziness and nausea, I got up and open the window, unplugged the diffuser from the plug and went to my bedroom and open my window to get fresh air to my lungs. Since then never used it.
The vet told me that the Active ingredient is a mother cat's pheromone, but she didn't include what is the excipient in this product, which whoever lives in that environment and the cats inhales it. Actually it is Isoparaffinic hydrocarbon q.s which is extremely flammable and poisonous.
You can read it's MSDS sheet here: http://doc.ccc-group.com/msds/english/507111.pdf
By the way it affects on the living beings' nervous system. Babbies, adults, cats.... it is not the cat pheromone, it is the poison that makes animal dozed. For your consideration!