How Many Different Kinds Of Food Do You Feed Your Cat? Variety?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens. 13 and 24 weeks, and I feed them both mostly wellness kitten, hills kitten dry at night, and primal turkey frozen food once every other day. Thinking of adding a salmon canned to feed twice a week.

Is this enough variety or too much?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not an expert but I think it's terrific you're giving them a variety of foods! I firmly believe that this approach provides them a means of being better able to deal with allergens, bad additives and such not, rather than always eating only the same thing over and over. My Big Guy gets a variety as well. Due to him being picky, I have to wait a couple weeks in between feedings of certain foods or he won't touch them, but eventually he gets whatever it might be into his system :)
In addition, this gives you more flexibility to adjust when the manufacturer changes the food formula and the cats decide they don't like the new one, or something that's their absolute favorite food is discontinued. :lovecat3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert but I think it's terrific you're giving them a variety of foods! I firmly believe that this approach provides them a means of being better able to deal with allergens, bad additives and such not, rather than always eating only the same thing over and over. My Big Guy gets a variety as well. Due to him being picky, I have to wait a couple weeks in between feedings of certain foods or he won't touch them, but eventually he gets whatever it might be into his system :)
In addition, this gives you more flexibility to adjust when the manufacturer changes the food formula and the cats decide they don't like the new one, or something that's their absolute favorite food is discontinued. :lovecat3:
So what do you feed your cats?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really don't have much variety in my cat's diet anymore. I know it's best to rotate foods and I had a big rotation going then foods started dropping off my list for one reason or anything (price increases, ingredient changes, my own financial situation changing etc.). I am pretty much left with Friskies canned and some Fancy Feast classics. I feed multiple flavors of each brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't have much variety in my cat's diet anymore. I know it's best to rotate foods and I had a big rotation going then foods started dropping off my list for one reason or anything (price increases, ingredient changes, my own financial situation changing etc.). I am pretty much left with Friskies canned and some Fancy Feast classics. I feed multiple flavors of each brand.
Okay thanks! Only feed your cat wet food?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard that you should have lots of variety, maybe 3-4 brands on rotation or more. It helps to have variety if for some reason you have to discontinue a brand, either because your cat gets allergic to it, it goes off the market, it's recalled, etc. But most people I know only feed their cats one or two brands (maybe one dry food and one wet food.)

Right now, both my cats are eating mainly Fancy Feast kitten wet food, as it's cheap and they both enjoy it. I also try to rotate in Hound and Gatos (lamb or turkey flavor), Instinct (salmon flavor, but I want to try turkey or rabbit again), Wellness (salmon and turkey flavor), and Canidae Pure (turkey flavor). But lately it's just been the Fancy Feast. My kitten also likes Soulistic shredded chicken in gravy, but it's an adult-only food. And since she doesn't usually eat chicken, I notice that her stools get a little soft when I feed it to her.

I should probably work on adding in other meats besides turkey and salmon.... Maybe I'll try more chicken, rabbit, or duck flavors.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I try to give my 8 month old a variety in both brands and flavors. Right now I am rotating between cases of variety packs from Blue Wilderness kitten and Purina Pro Plan for kittens. I've also given her Wellness Core and Fancy Feast.
Also since I work during the day I'll leave some dry food for her in case she gets hungry. I'm feeding her Natural Balance kitten formula.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 3 years, my cats suddenly decided that they don't like turkey and fish canned cat food anymore. I feel weird just buying them chicken & beef. But hey, if that's what they want. Maybe it's just a phase, I don't know.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine is super picky but so far he is getting wet food: Fromm (flavors without veggies), KOHA LID, Rawz, Fancy feast, weruwa cats in the kitchen pouches. He gets an occasional meal of raw meat. And i have Orijen regional red dry food out for him, he doesnt eat much dry, but i have it out anyways. ;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also feed a variety of wet food, different brands and flavors. I think its healthier, keeps their interest better, and if something is discontinued or out of stock i don't need to panic. :) I think just 2 or 3 brands, or even different flavors in one brand would be ok, i may go a bit overboard? lol In wet i feed Weruva, tiki cat, against the grain, merrick backcountry, Earthborn, Nulo the minced ones, some fancy feast, some friskies shreds, occasionally Rawz, but its hard for me to find. Or any new foods i find that look good to me. I feed two wet meals per day. I also free feed dry. Dr. Elseys chicken flavor, and occasionally Farmina, they are loving the newer pumpkin line, especially the venison, go figure. this is the first venison flavor food my cats have ever liked.