How Many Cats Do You Have?

apyles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard or people having quite a few cats and was just curious how many you all have and how you get away with having more than your city ordinance allows. I have a very dear friend that has 10. She is concerned that she will eventually get in trouble if someone complains on her and is not sure what would happen. I told her I was a member for a forum all about cats and I would ask you all's opinion or experience. Thanks.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three indoor cats and own our home, so no-one asks questions. We've had put o five with no problems. My daughter once kept 14 cats in her apartment. Have no idea how she managed to do it, though.

I'll be interesting to find out how people manage it.

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
10 cats!! I'm jealous!! :worship:

We have two cats and two dogs so are two pets below our approved limit (maximum 6 pets, up to 3 of which can be dogs).

I don't know...I mean it's breaking the law but I think it's a judgement call. As long as the house, litter boxes, feeding areas etc. are kept clean, the cats are provided adequate food/water, and they have plenty of space to do their thing, I don't see why it should be a problem. Generally these rules are in place to prevent hoarding and unsafe situations for the pets and humans; I doubt animal control would enforce it if it's a well-kept house and the cats are healthy but you never know. Somebody would have to report it first, though...definitely a gamble. :ohwell:

Now, if she doesn't own her house/apartment, her landlord could evict her....then she and all of her cats would be homeless and that doesn't sound like it's in her or their best interest.

:sunshine:Good luck!!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A apyles - I have eleven in approximately 485 m², and I think it's exactly the right number unless another cat wanders in needing an home. I believe - as mel_why_ssa mel_why_ssa has already noted - that most towns and cities enact such ordinances against the eventuality of hoarding situations, and unless your Friend is in such a situation, she and her ten kitties are probably relatively safe.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats need about 500 square feet to be happy. Otherwise, you can get territory issues that result in excess marking and other bad behaviors. Too many cats in very close proximity is stressful for them unless they've all been raised together. We had five in 3100 square feet and there were issues even though two of them were brothers.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats. I will probably get more in the future, if I have a house with a yard. My current apartment complex only allows 2 pets.

I don't think there's a limit to how many cats you should have, as long as there's enough money, time, and space available to care for them all.

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats. The City of Ottawa has a limit of 5 (excluding kittens) outside agriculture areas. Within city limits. I have 4 as it is my financial limit. Vet visits, shots, food, litter, toys, etc. Not to mention I have to give them all attention and work plus have a life. Time wise, my wife and I don't have more right now 4 is a handful.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to have 8 indoor cats. I'm partially disabled so I won't be able to get anymore. I can barely take care of myself. My last cat passed away last December and I miss them so much. They were a family of orange cats.
Sorry, to hear that. Hope hanging around this site and sharing your knowledge of kitties helps in some way.

As for how many cats I have, just one, my girl, Ruby. And I'm 99.9% sure, she wouldn't have it any other way. :lovecat2:

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 7...just rescued a kitten last week

My husband falls immediately in love with our foster kittens and that is how we ended up with so many

We are also in a 450 square foot condo with a terrace that the kitties definitely get to use

shadowkitty10

"Mom" of Many Kitties
Kitten
Purraise
A apyles I'm a little like your friend! I have nine kitties in all. Whiskers came first, and now she's three years old. Then we took in a pregnant mom who had a whopping eight kittens, which all survived and are here today. Whiskers is a bit grumpy, but for the most part, my cats are pretty sweet.

They're all fixed, too, so there's no chance them following their mom's path! I'm not in a super big house, but it never really feels cramped since most of them are indoor-outdoor. Once they got their shots and we knew it was safe for them to go out, they gladly did so. :)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have four, but for years now, our lease has only ever said 2. When we were renting apartments, I would take two either to a friend's house or to boarding at the vet for the day while people were coming in the unit. We also had blockaded major windows with something up behind the visible curtains so the cats couldn't congregate in the window sill. We haven't taken a cat in since Stewart, 5 years ago.
We are really looking forward to a mortgage in the next 2 years so we don't have to do this stupid dance. The cats also live with three little parrots and 3 guinea pigs.

Miss_Molly1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. Owen who I got first, he is 11 months almost and a year on Christmas. He is just the best cat, apart from occasionally jumping on kitchen counters when he know she he isn’t isnt supposed to. He was a little hyper at first but now he is the best. He’s very nosy and interested in everything. Loves kids, other dogs, other cats, and most people. He likes to pick on my mom and only acts up when it’s just him and her which I find hilarious. My second cat is my little Sofia who is about 2 months. I rescued her. I wasn’t looking for another cat but someone find her under there house and because of her age and the fact they had another cat who wasn’t taking well to her they couldn’t keep her. They thought she was about 6 weeks, but in reality she was 3 or 4. I named her Sofia because she’s a little princess so its Princess Sofia. She’s super demanding and is a little fighter. Since I got her she had worms and she has a super sensitive tummy and etc but she doesn’t let that stop her from being playful, energetic, and adventurous. She loves to eat and is super sassy. She bosses her big brother around even if he’s much larger then she is. She no longer has worms and her sensitive stomach is getting much better since I found the right food for her. Much love to anyone else who loves there fur babies as much as I love my Owen and Sofia.