Mr. Coco--fur length and size?

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here’s kitty boy Mr Coco. He’s ten weeks and has purebred parents. Dad is a seal point ragdoll, and mum is a ”relatively” medium haired exotic shorthair Tortie. The mummy has a long haired recessive gene and passed it on, so most of the litter came out pretty fluffy. Mr Cocos toe tufts are 1cm long and his overall body fur is around 1.5 inches and almost 2 around the mane. How long will his fur be? Inches or a measurement would be great. Thanks guys!
9A714562-D323-46E6-B773-1E11E002B351.jpeg
55B164EA-62FC-40FE-9501-10945E8A544D.jpeg
7B97907E-ADA7-4603-A809-C451B9F08E29.jpeg

he is such a handsome and sweet child I love him to the bone. Thanks again!!!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a precious baby! He looks to me like he will be a medium- to long-haired cat. I can't give any measurements. He is really beautiful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! My grandmother has had many cats, Siamese, Persians, himalayans, you name it. She also said that his fur would be semi-longhair at least.

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Edit: The fur around his legs And tummy is around 1-1.3 inches.

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Mr coco is almost 13 weeks old now. He’s quite fluffy, and he weighs 1.88 kilos now. I’ve been wondering, how big is he going to be when he’s older? His dad is a ragdoll (medium haired) and his mother is an exotic with an lh gene. She’s medium haired you can say. I’ve been wondering, what will my kitten look like when he’s all grown up? Any images which resemble you ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

0DB4EA0F-585E-4B59-BFF3-6B5AC6CE9DB6.jpeg
5250CC90-E908-4CA7-8BCC-54E32FEB001F.jpeg
E00DB5ED-F5EE-46A4-86B2-02C497C0F24B.jpeg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Others here may be able to help answer you, but all I can say for sure, Coco is going to make heads turn! :redheartpump::hearthrob:
Such a cutie. :loveeyes:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a cute kitten. Was it an accidental breeding?

We can't tell from his current weight exactly how big he will get. Cats grow at different rates. Some grow fast and seem like they are going to be huge, but then slow down and stop growing. Others slowly grow for a longer period, and end up being bigger than expected. Occasionally the smallest kitten of a litter turns out to be the biggest one later on. You will have to wait and see how big he gets.

Genetically, cats are either longhaired or shorthaired. "Mediumhair" is an informal term that is sometimes used for longhaired cats that are not as fluffy as other longhairs. An Exotic Shorthair might have a fluffier coat than other shorthairs, but it's still technically a shorthaired cat. Ragdolls are longhaired cats, and show quality Ragdolls have very fluffy coats... not quite as fluffy as Persians, but more fluffy than many of our longhaired breeds. Your kitten is obviously a longhaired cat. Since you say that his parents are a Ragdoll and an Exotic, I would expect he will mature to have at least as much coat as a typical Ragdoll, or possibly more. But you will have to wait and see.

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much. I agree completely with the weight. He seemed rather big, and I was suddenly confused, as neither parents were particularly “big”. I was unaware of medium hair, just being a way to describe a “shorter” longhair. Thank you! 😸

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a cute kitten. Was it an accidental breeding?

We can't tell from his current weight exactly how big he will get. Cats grow at different rates. Some grow fast and seem like they are going to be huge, but then slow down and stop growing. Others slowly grow for a longer period, and end up being bigger than expected. Occasionally the smallest kitten of a litter turns out to be the biggest one later on. You will have to wait and see how big he gets.

Genetically, cats are either longhaired or shorthaired. "Mediumhair" is an informal term that is sometimes used for longhaired cats that are not as fluffy as other longhairs. An Exotic Shorthair might have a fluffier coat than other shorthairs, but it's still technically a shorthaired cat. Ragdolls are longhaired cats, and show quality Ragdolls have very fluffy coats... not quite as fluffy as Persians, but more fluffy than many of our longhaired breeds. Your kitten is obviously a longhaired cat. Since you say that his parents are a Ragdoll and an Exotic, I would expect he will mature to have at least as much coat as a typical Ragdoll, or possibly more. But you will have to wait and see.
I am unaware of him being an accidental kitten. I think so perhaps, considering when they were being sold, the woman was hurriedly getting her breeders license. Accidental also maybe, considering their fur and face types being so different, I never though anyone would breed them, as it would ruin the end result of the coat, as someone once told me. 🧐

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am unaware of him being an accidental kitten. I think so perhaps, considering when they were being sold, the woman was hurriedly getting her breeders license. Accidental also maybe, considering their fur and face types being so different, I never though anyone would breed them, as it would ruin the end result of the coat, as someone once told me. 🧐
Persians have been used in Ragdoll breeding programs in the past, so we do see Persians appearing in some Ragdoll pedigrees. I expect that historically, breeders had a variety of reasons for doing this. I can imagine that a breeder might do this outcross on purpose in order to introduce different colors, add more coat, heavier bone structure, more extreme head type, or simply as an outcross for genetic diversity. Today, the Ragdoll breed is so popular that I don't know if any such outcrosses are really necessary any more, but it's conceivable that a breeder might do it on purpose for some reason.

Most of the time when we see kittens for sale that are a mix of two breeds, it's not because of any of these reasons, however. Sometimes it's an accidental breeding when a breeder is working with more than one breed... or, perhaps more frequently, the kittens are actually no particular breed and the owner is just making a guess based on the parents' appearance.

In Mr Coco's case, he looks like he could be a genuine cross breed between Ragdoll and Exotic / Persian (maybe a moderate "doll faced" Exotic / Persian) so I would guess maybe an accidental breeding. Does the breeder work with both breeds?

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Persians have been used in Ragdoll breeding programs in the past, so we do see Persians appearing in some Ragdoll pedigrees. I expect that historically, breeders had a variety of reasons for doing this. I can imagine that a breeder might do this outcross on purpose in order to introduce different colors, add more coat, heavier bone structure, more extreme head type, or simply as an outcross for genetic diversity. Today, the Ragdoll breed is so popular that I don't know if any such outcrosses are really necessary any more, but it's conceivable that a breeder might do it on purpose for some reason.

Most of the time when we see kittens for sale that are a mix of two breeds, it's not because of any of these reasons, however. Sometimes it's an accidental breeding when a breeder is working with more than one breed... or, perhaps more frequently, the kittens are actually no particular breed and the owner is just making a guess based on the parents' appearance.

In Mr Coco's case, he looks like he could be a genuine cross breed between Ragdoll and Exotic / Persian (maybe a moderate "doll faced" Exotic / Persian) so I would guess maybe an accidental breeding. Does the breeder work with both breeds?
The aspiring breeder at the time only had one tortoiseshell exotic shorthair, and had one seal point ragdoll. I haven’t a picture of the father, come to think of it, you are right. Both cats weren’t spayed, and possibly had multiple litters in the past. I see a lot of Persian cross ragdoll cats, and expect so, because they do produce very nice litters most of the time. She didn’t have two ragdolls/ 2 exotics, so I would assume she did it on purpose, or didn’t have full-intention, but was aware that they could produce a decent litter.

To describe him genetically, he has fairly shorter legs compared to his long body. His head is semi-punch I would say, not your regular doll face, but it is flat, according to everyone who’s seen him. His fur is unusually thick, as I’ve met quite a lot of kittens, and their fur was significantly thinner than his, and more sleek as well. His fur is very very downy, compared to the kittens I’ve met younger than him. His fur also has a very very slight coarse and plushness in it, I assume from his mother, but it is still soft, possibly due to the father. He was the runt of the litter. His ears aren’t small like the exotic, but are average sized, and what you would expect of a ragdoll kitten. Both parents were also pedigreed with papers.

I was amused of his mother being a shorthair, and him coming out quite fluffy. We got him on a site called Gumtree, after many failed attempts at adoption centres. Most ragdoll kittens that are being sold there in our area, are not as “long haired” as him, and neither are their parents. Ragdoll Cats in Australia are very commonly found “short haired”. Yesterday, my friend told me she had a pedigreed ragdoll, who was shorthair. I was surprised, as ragdoll s are supposed to be “longhair”, but many ragdoll cats for sale in Australia, and have shorter coats, despite being genetically long-haired. You do come across the one with longer coats, shortish coats are a lot more common.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your friend have registration papers for her cat? Does she just mean that it isn't as fluffy as some other longhairs, or is it actually shorthaired? Did she buy it on Gumtree, too?

You will see people advertising "shorthaired Ragdolls" for sale on sites like Gumtree, and some people claim these are purebred, although this is not possible. For example I see an ad on Gumtree right now for "shorthaired Ragdolls" for $1200, and the mother clearly is shorthaired in the pictures, despite being claimed to be a "Ragdoll." Two Ragdoll parents can't accidentally produce a shorthaired kitten, since long hair is recessive. So a shorthaired cat would have to be either some kind of mixed breed, or (more often) simply a pointed domestic shorthair.

Exotics carry the modifier genes that make a Persian's coat longer and fluffier than other longhaired breeds. A longhaired kitten with two Exotic Shorthair parents can be just as fluffy as any Persian. So it wouldn't be surprising if having an Exotic Shorthair dad would make your kitten's coat longer and fluffier than mom's coat.

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. She does. The father was fluffy, so he was longhaired. The Dad who was a seal point ragdoll, had around 2-3 inch long fur around the tummy, and was quite fluffy, and very friendly, also should mention it was peak summer here, and it was very hot so he was shedding, so I expect a longer winter coat He was bigger than your average domestic cat. The mother was an Exotic with an Lh gene. All kittens from the litter were quite fluffy. We met both parents in person.

true, ragdolls cannot produce short haired purebred litters. Most of the time, they resemble snowshoes or Siamesem or just pointed domestic shorthairs. The only longhair kittens we see on Gumtree are typically breeders who breed purebred show quality cats.

I haven’t a picture of the dad, but I will find a picture that resembles him.

I found one! He looked very much like this, but slightly smaller. He had brighter blue eyes too.
82DDA4C1-60FD-483E-B950-B86903DEE8CD.jpeg

his points were slightly lighter however.

Mumma looked like this! This is her picture.
1C6E0C0F-AF15-4220-871D-F50145857358.jpeg

Mr Coco is the orange one. He lightened up a lot. He has ”darker” cream points on his face and paws, and has a lightly striped tail. His “points” resemble his fathers a bit.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the pictures! I don't think Mr. Coco is actually pointed like his dad. I think he's cream shaded silver... or maybe even red shaded silver that appears cream because of just the tips of the hair being colored. If he had been pointed in color, he would have been much lighter in color as a baby.

Mom's color looks like silver tabby and white in the picture (possibly blue silver tabby and white, it's hard to tell from the picture if she is dilute). However, we know that she must be silver torbie to produce a red / cream kitten, so I expect that she also has some red / cream patching that's not visible in the picture.

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cream shaded silver! That’s very pretty. I just realised after reading your post, that yes, colourpoints are light at birth, and get darker as they grow older. Yes you are correct. The mother looks like a tortie, but we could see traces of red/orange and cream within her.

I read breeding guidelines within both ragdolls and exotics. Apparently, half of the exotic shorthair population contains a recessive LH gene, and Ragdolls have 3 of those recessive genes. Apparently, if the mother (exotic) did not have an LH gene, Mr Coco would genetically be classified as shorthair, as I’ve heard it takes two to tango. Considering the whole litter came out longhaired, we concluded she had the gene.

also, side question, we wish to give him cooked egg yolks as snacks, without the whites, as they prevent the hair from growing properly. We thought the egg yolks could help him add some fat into his diet, and would be good for his overall health and cost appearance. What is your advice upon that? Thanks a lot!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feed eggs to my cats, but I don't see anything wrong with the idea. I suggest asking that question in the diet forum, as you are bound to get lots more opinions there :)

Mr Coco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I learned a lot about Mr Coco today. I didn’t know there was so much to learn about cats. I will try to do my research. Thank you so much again! 😸