How long will it take for neutering to heal for male cats?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long will it take for neutering to heal for male cats?

It all started when i sent my cat for grooming and mentioned about this stray i was feeding for 2 years at office to the groomer.
Like how he always have tons of injuries whenever he appeared etc etc...so the groomer suggested me to bring him to neuter.
She mentioned neutering makes him get into lesser fights and he won't roam around as much as he did,
so i'm actually very keen on this suggestion.

As the cat i am having now was also a stray and neutered when i adopted, i do not know these procedures (shes a female...)
So, i want to know what kind of procedures will i expect from the vet? Do i need to keep him in for a few days to heal his injury?
I mean i do not have the space to contain him, so can i expect to release him right after neutering?
How long will surgery take too?

Kindly advise thanks!

PS: Sorry, i don't have the means of adopting another cat in even though i know the dangers of the wild.
i just want the best for him to live out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The procedure for males is a lot easier than females. It would be better if you could keep him confined for a day or two to watch for infection but you said you couldn't. I would think it would be fine to release after the surgery as long as there weren't any complications during the procedure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males can be released as soon as they're fully awake from the anesthetic (usually overnight but this depends on what kind the vet uses). You can keep him in a cage or trap, or have the vet keep him overnight. He'll heal quickly---it's a very simple procedure for males; no internal surgery like there is with females.

If you can keep him in a garage, shed, spare bathroom, etc. for a few days, that would be better, but overnight is fine. Also have the vet give him his vaccinations, flea and worm treatment, everything else he needs, at the same time.