How long will a feral mama look for her missing kittens?

wilmadawn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel awful but we took a liter of kittens from the mama, we haven't had any luck trapping the mama but it's on the list. How long will she look for the kittens? it's truly breaking my heart :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It can be pretty intense if the mom is very upset, so steel yourself. Using the kittens to trap her is a great idea. My husband once inadvertently closed the door of a car that had been open for about an hour....long enough for the mom to have put her litter in there while she left them for a while. Her anguish lasted for about 2 days until we figured it out and opened the car. They all survived, thankfully.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
How did you get the kittens- in a trap? I would use that same trap as it has their scent in it already. If you don't have a trap, you can always borrow one from animal control. Can you record their cries and then play them in the same area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wilmadawn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we took them when they weren't there, they were young enough to grab but old enough where they are starting to eat on their own. putting the kittens /scent in the trap is a good idea too. Thank you!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't have trouble trapping momma. My last one we got the kitties and the next day got mom. I guess it depends if she feels threatened and leaves.