How long until cats eye color turns permanent?

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 7 months old and still has her baby brown eyes. When she was about 3 months old they suddenly started to look orange but that went away after a month and now they are back to the regular dull brown color except the insides are finally turning green. I couldn’t get a good photo of her eyes are right now but here is a photo of her at 9 weeks. Her eyes look the same right now except the insides are now green. I’m just wondering when her full adult eye color is supposed to finish coloring in.

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you're going to just have to "wait and see." My first abyssinian had amber eyes with a green ring around the pupil. The green eventually expanded so his eyes were completely green, but process took about 4-5 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that’s a long time! Most info I see online says the eye color comes in within a few months but I guess I’ll just have to wait lol I don’t mind though, it’s fun to still see her eye color change.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean baby blue eyes? They are all born with blue eyes and the pigment comes later starting at 4-6 weeks. Depending on the cat/ breed it can take a while. Angie had blue eyes longer and then they turned bright emerald green. I can’t remember how long it took now, a few months maybe.
Your kitten’s eyes look olive green in this pic.

I think I may have posted this to another thread so sorry if it is a repeat. Zena has dichroic eyes, green in the center and yellow at the edges. You can only see it well when his pupils are smaller. I never saw him as a kitten, I just rescued him in December, he was a dumped kitty. He is so happy now 😻 He is about 2-2.5 maybe now.

BE13B8BA-8395-4434-8780-F5FC0E9DF9CC.jpeg

Last edited: