How Long Should I Wait To Get Another Cat?

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As some people might know, my kitten, Mojo, was put to sleep today because he was very seriously ill (his liver function was bad, he wouldn’t eat, and he could have had FIP).
My parents want to get another cat, but are unsure how long we should wait. I think we should wait at least a few weeks to make sure there are no viruses or anything left from Mojo. Is about 3-4 weeks long enough?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
As some people might know, my kitten, Mojo, was put to sleep today because he was very seriously ill (his liver function was bad, he wouldn’t eat, and he could have had FIP).
My parents want to get another cat, but are unsure how long we should wait. I think we should wait at least a few weeks to make sure there are no viruses or anything left from Mojo. Is about 3-4 weeks long enough?

I am so sorry to hear about Mojo.

Viruses can hang around for quite awhile- make sure new kitty has his shots before coming into your house.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mojo's vet is probably the person who should be answering this question. That said, jefferd18 jefferd18 is correct: make sure the new kitty has all shots before you bring him or her home.

:grouphug2: I'm so sorry to hear about Mojo's death. Remember that we're all here for you when you need shoulders to cry on. Also, you may find this thread to be helpful: Grieving.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will tell my mom to ask the vet then. We will definitely get a cat that has all the necessary vaccines.
The house feels empty without Mojo there. I no longer have a cat to accompany me while I’m reading or doing my homework and my hamster is too small and usually sleeping.
Thanks for the thread Margret Margret
We are going to disinfect everything that he used, like all his beds, toys and his cat tree.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aside from the virus issue, your family needs a chance to decompress from Mojo’s death. It’s tempting to want to hurry and try to find “another Mojo” but in my opinion that’s not fair to the new kitty or your family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that we need some time after Mojo's death. I didn't want to get a cat right now but my parents don't know much about cats so they wanted to get another pretty soon. I was just asking so I could prove to my parents that we shouldn't get a new cat right away.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom said we can get a cat next month.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A "new" cat will be an entirely different animal. Don't grieve longer than you need to. Many cats need homes and honestly I found it comforting to get another lady to care for very soon. They give so much more than they ever take. Every cat is so unique, yes I still sometimes miss my Saber cat, but she had a very good long life that I will never forget. My spouse got me my sweet Flash not that long after Saber (who loved to bite everything except people). I still have old book on "how to train your cat" (from biting all my books) that my dad gave me, now Dad is also departed, and I'll probably keep that book that is covered in cat tooth marks forever!!! It is the Love that needs to be remembered. Love never dies just keeps on stronger. I've had 3 cats before that (each one at a time of course, all long lived--now angels in cat heaven. I'm going to go play with my beautiful perfect Flash cat right now and Love on her for a long time. God bless you my dear, I know it is so hard to lose Beloved pet, but hope does spring eternal!

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s been almost 3 weeks. My mom said we can get another cat in 2-3 weeks.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s been almost 3 weeks. My mom said we can get another cat in 2-3 weeks.
Huh? I didn't write this. And it has only been 1 week lol.
It was probably my sister (I usually leave the computer on even when I'm not there)