How long should I keep sealed cat food for?

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep their food sealed in a certain way. I put a small plate covered with another plate into the same position and a bigger plate. I put a heavy object, here's a picture.
48DB3C7D-59BC-4339-A009-62D86A345C58.jpeg

I usually only keep the food for 4 hours like this, and then throw it out later on since I don’t wanna risk anything.
Last night, they didn’t eat dinner (I have to wake up at night to check if they wanna eat again, my phone didnt charge last night and the alarm didn’t work) And it’s about 6am right now, I’m planning on feeding them before I leave for school since I dont want them hungry, so what should I do? Should I keep the food? It looks normal, it was not refrigerated so that’s my biggest worry. It’s been about 8 hours since opening it and storing it. Please give a reply as fast as possible

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a food timer for canned food. They come with packets. It's set for 6am. In the morning they fill nauseous from being without food for so long. The food timer helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a food timer for canned food. They come with packets. It's set for 6am. In the morning they fill nauseous from being without food for so long. The food timer helps!
Thank you so much!! I’ll try to find the food timer the next time I’m out for food

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food is a cooked product so it's good for up to 12 hours at room temperature ( less if your home is hot and humid like in a tropical country) and a few days if stored in the fridge.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat's digestive systems are not like ours and they can eat a lot of different foods than us, questionable garbage, and green water. I wouldn't chance it myself, a partial can of food is not that much money. you might want to go to a smaller can if they don't eat it all. Friskies has 5.5 oz. cans and Fancy Feast has even smaller.

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[/QUOTE]
Canned food is a cooked product so it's good for up to 12 hours at room temperature ( less if your home is hot and humid like in a tropical country) and a few days if stored in the fridge.
Thank you! My country is considered to be hot, so there’s always an AC on pretty low in the room where I keep the food, and everywhere else in the house. This would be fine, right?

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat's digestive systems are not like ours and they can eat a lot of different foods than us, questionable garbage, and green water. I wouldn't chance it myself, a partial can of food is not that much money. you might want to go to a smaller can if they don't eat it all. Friskies has 5.5 oz. cans and Fancy Feast has even smaller.
They’ve been eating Fancy Feast for a long time since that’s the food they enjoy most, they also have a bit of dry food out at all times. Anyway, thanks for helping out, I’ll keep that in mind!!

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise