How Long Should Cats Be Outside For?

Jjb1907

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i was just wondering can cats stay outside all day and all night even with the weather getting colder. One cat is used to being outside a lot and the other has always been an indoor cat but now gets put outside all the time. Only have old sofas for shelter and come in to be fed then gets put straight back outside again. No water put outside and there are cats that live next door. These are not my cats, they belong to someone i know. Thanks.

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn't okay, if someone owns a cat it's there responsibility to provide shelter for him/her and to offer food, same with a child. I believe cats can be out when sunny for a few hours to enjoy the sun but no cat deserves to be outside 24 hours a day. Try taking them in at night, that's what I do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jjb1907

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im in the Uk. Im not round the owners place all the time and i dont live close by to them but when i am there i do sneak them in at night, I have to take them upstairs to the bedroom to make sure they can stay inside at least for a while and get told off for it and if they get found by the owners they get put back outside. Next door does put food out not sure if she puts water out as loads of cats do go round there. I personally don't agree with them being outside so long and the owner knows that. Even if inside they haven't got an area that is just theirs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gosh, this is so hard for those of us who care, and know better, when faced with this kind of thing.
Can you compromise in the next discussion with them, say you'll leave them out if water and better shelter is provided? (I don't know, the old couch, if set up right could be ok but a self-warming bed or mat could help (thermal, warms with the cats body heat).
What changed in this household that the second kitty is also being put out now?
Would these people be willing to re-home the cats?
Would the head of the family listen to a person of authority and at least get some water out there for them that's maintained, kept clean and thawed?
I don't know if you'd want to do this, can you talk to the neighbor and find out if these kitties are coming over to her house? This might stir up more trouble than you want, but...

Jjb1907

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The owner has a new partner and it looks like he don't like animals that much and is also a bit of cleaning obsessed. There are 2 sofas one on top of the other which cats can get between the female cat is too scared to leave the garden but sometimes goes next door for stuff. They are my in laws and not the easiest people to talk to. The owner did mention about rehoming then changed her mind. I would have to ask about putting proper shelter out there etc. I do have a picture of one of the cats in the sofas.

Jjb1907

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are my in laws and are not easy to talk to. I will have to try and have a word about shelter outside. The female stays in the sofa all day until she knows she is allowed in. I have seen her go next door a couple of times but the male cat he is used to being outside and has found where to go to get what he needs. There is 2 sofas one on top of the other with a gap in between, I have a picture of the female in the sofas.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Water is a big issue, although hopefully they are getting canned food which would help regarding hydration, but this is super unfair to the female kitty.
Bless your heart, I'm standing right there with you mentally!