How long is too long to leave a cat on its own?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have been left in the care of a sitter who comes once or twice a day. They've been just fine up to twelve days. On their own, I think trips of that length wouldn't be a problem were it not for the boxes, food and water. They're 'scarf-n-barfers' and can't be free-fed. I can leave them overnight on their own, but no longer.

Miamha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could get a cat backpack and take your out with you- just kidding.
If it's more than a week I want more than just someone checking in. In the past we've had friends camp out at our house while we are away on vacation.
Maybe I'm over doing it, but I often have someone checking on my cat during the ten hour work days I've mentioned. My cat is very interactive and I don't want her to get lonely. She doesn't have a cat buddy, she's a lone pet.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave my guys alone (with cat sitter visiting twice a day) very often but I would never, ever leave them like this for 4 weeks+. The maximum for me would be 10 days, or maybe two weeks, but no more, even knowing that they are used to it and I know very well they are great when we’re away (I have four cameras to check on them). 4 weeks without their humans it’s just really long. I’d have someone move in to my place to stay with them or, if they were younger, I’d temporarily leave them with family or friends (I used to do this when mine were kittens).