how long does it take for special food to work?

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally started my elderly foster cat on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response which she ate with her previous owner and seems to really like. I don't know what she was eating for the 2 months since her owner died and she was looked after by the family of the deceased, but she was brought to me with canned Friskies which she didn't really care much for.

I started her up on the (expensive!!!) fiber kibble because she wasn't eating enough, because she had eaten this before, and because she has persistent minor fecal incontinence (liquid). Her previous vet says it could definitely be caused by constipation which she had years ago. Her personality/livelihood is fine and she's drinking, using the litter box. She's only been eating this special kibble for 2 days now. No BMs in the last 24 hours.

I know senior digestion is slow, so I figure 1 to 2 weeks max before I consult her vet again. Thoughts?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take a couple of weeks for any change in food to "regulate" itself..for the digestive system to get used to it. But I would like to add that if this food is a fiber rich formula, you want to make sure she is getting enough water. High fiber and not enough water will cause constipation. I know you said she's drinking, but it might not be enough. Maybe it would be a good idea to feed her some wet food along with the kibble.....In all honesty, a dry food only diet isn't great due to the lack of moisture, as cats tend to not have a high thirst drive. They generally also have more filler and carbs than wet food. She may have not liked Friskies, but there are so many options out there to try out.
I wouldn't worry too much about no poop in 24 hours but if you think she might be getting constipated, give her a little hairball gel/paste for a couple of days. Even if she doesn't have hairballs, it does "grease" things up in there so passing a possible harder stool may be easier on her.
As for when you should consult a vet, if she doesn't poop in the next 48 hours (max) or gets the liquid poop going on, bring her in. Any longer than 3 days without pooping and poor kitty will not be feeling well, even if she hides it. And of course you don't want her to get a blockage so the vet will then be able to give her something to help. Also if you notice she acts uncomfortable/in pain (hiding, straining to go, loss of appetite, tired/lethargic, blood on the stool (if she goes) etc...) I would bring her in right away.

Are you planning on trying to change her food again at some point?
What has the vet said about long term treatment for her constipation? Are they trying this food as a start, before exploring further with tests as for why she has poop issues?
Do you know how often she normally went?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This food is definitely the starting food to see if it works AND gets her eating, as her old vet had Rx it for her. She also once had an enema years ago. Unfortunately I have no anecdotal info about her life with her previous owner and cannot get it (they died).

We are giving her some wet food, too. She enjoys food paste and broth-based treats, and does eat Fancy Feast a bit.

Our end goal (per her new vet) is actually renal health diet as she is elderly and her kidneys are damaged. She wants to see how the gastro diet does with her first and then transition to a kidney health plan. But we really need to control her anal leakage. 😩

This is all very new as she's only been with me for 1.5 weeks, and before last week she hadn't been seen by a vet for 3 years, so we're all playing catch-up and trying our best based on her bloodwork, eating habits, and litter box usage.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm glad that she has you to get her on the right track. :heartshape:

So, does she seem to be eating the new food? I only ask because if she does have CKD, loss of appetite is VERY common with it.
Have you tried to do the tent test to see if she's hydrated well? You pull the skin up around the shoulders, let go and if it springs back she's good, but if it takes a long time to go down, it's a sign of dehydration. What can make this test difficult though is if kitty has recently lost a lot of weight...and you did mention she wasn't eating....so I'm not sure how accurate it would be. Kidney cats are prone to dehydration due to the increase of urination (I had a kitty with CKD, so I've got a lot of experience with it, from beginning to the end) Did the vet mention how far she was in her kidney disease?

For future reference...
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
This site helped me tremendously when I was dealing with my little Toby and his CKD.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will say though, based on your description and her age, that she probably suffers from motility issues. An X-ray will probalby be necessary to see if there may be some megacolon going on or a partial obstruction.
I hope you get her feeling better soon!

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep I worry about her ability to pass stool. If she doesn't have a BM today I'm calling her vet.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news. She's passed 2 healthy-looking stools in the last 2 days, and has been eating the special kibble regularly. We've been giving her some wet food too, and per her water fountain she's drinking the avg amount suggested for her size.

Her liquid fecal incontinence is still present but MIGHT be getting better. Time will tell. We're very much hoping this food regulates her enough to stop this.