How long does it take for a Stomatitis ulcer in mouth to go away?

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charlie and I have been fighting his Stomatitis for years. He has had several extractions and is recently experiencing another flare up. I noticed a mark on the roof of his mouth about a week ago. The vet said the mark is consistent with Stomatitis and looked like it was going away. I don't see improvement. Charlie was to the vet again today to have blood work done too. However, when I look at the typical ulcers associated with Stomatitis, Charlies actually does look milder. It does not appear to be open or bleeding. But, he is having difficulty eating. Does anyone know how long a typical ulcer can last? How long it takes to heal?? Does it heal???

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes they do heal, however it's not really possible to say how long it takes, it depends on how big/deep and how irritated or not it gets when eating. Hoping you are giving him canned/baby food turkey while it heals. Theyre mouth heals around the same speed as ours does, so you can have some idea.
You know, in rescue I've dealt with stomatitis many times. I have to say its really okay to have the teeth removed, they do just great. The pain they've suffered for so long is finally over with. Just have to make absolutely certain that no root pieces are left behind.
It will never stop and usually gets worse over time.
Good luck! :catman:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they do heal, however it's not really possible to say how long it takes, it depends on how big/deep and how irritated or not it gets when eating. Hoping you are giving him canned/baby food turkey while it heals. Theyre mouth heals around the same speed as ours does, so you can have some idea.
You know, in rescue I've dealt with stomatitis many times. I have to say its really okay to have the teeth removed, they do just great. The pain they've suffered for so long is finally over with. Just have to make absolutely certain that no root pieces are left behind.
It will never stop and usually gets worse over time.
Good luck! :catman:
That's the issue. There were crown extractions only. Why they did that, I don't know. Perhaps his jaw had been weakend by the disease, but it fractured during surgery. Possibly they finished it that way because of the fracture? Very upsetting and I am not sure. However, he came out of that surgery the same day and ate dinner when he got home. He was okay for a long while this time, but recent flare up. Doing everything I can for him from hand feed, dry, wet, vitamin supplement and constant contact with the wonderful new vet I found. Here is a picture of the ulcer. It is not bleeding or open anywhere I can see. Thanks for the hope. I hope it heals soon.

Attachments

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the vet hasn't dealt with stomatitis much, he/she may not be familiar with treatment so much. This is a good reason why, when a cat does get a full mouth extraction, the vets who have plenty of experience with it knows of the gradual progression and most importantly knows that even a tiny bit of root left after extractions causes the cat's system to react just the same as he did prior to extractions.
Luckily my vet is well versed on this defect and will take an x-ray to make sure no root is left behind.
I think you can help speed up the sore healing by withholding dry food/treats or anything that is not smooth and soft, canned pat type and chicken or turkey baby food are ideal. Nothing to irritate it at all.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will take awhile they do not go away right away. As long as it’s not looking red and angry that’s a good sign.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the vet hasn't dealt with stomatitis much, he/she may not be familiar with treatment so much. This is a good reason why, when a cat does get a full mouth extraction, the vets who have plenty of experience with it knows of the gradual progression and most importantly knows that even a tiny bit of root left after extractions causes the cat's system to react just the same as he did prior to extractions.
Luckily my vet is well versed on this defect and will take an x-ray to make sure no root is left behind.
I think you can help speed up the sore healing by withholding dry food/treats or anything that is not smooth and soft, canned pat type and chicken or turkey baby food are ideal. Nothing to irritate it at all.
I think we are looking at a week or two he has had it going on.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week or 2 is soon. It will take longer than that for it to be completely gone. If you can see it all the time it should got from a red red color, to red, to pink red, to pink and then go away. The change in color is what to look for. If you have that things are improving. The first change takes place on the gums at least in a day or two. Mouth ulcers maybe longer. My cat had ulcers on occasion and it would be a few weeks before it healed. With my cat a combo of Convenia and a steroid helped with flare ups.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A week or 2 is soon. It will take longer than that for it to be completely gone. If you can see it all the time it should got from a red red color, to red, to pink red, to pink and then go away. The change in color is what to look for. If you have that things are improving. The first change takes place on the gums at least in a day or two. Mouth ulcers maybe longer. My cat had ulcers on occasion and it would be a few weeks before it healed. With my cat a combo of Convenia and a steroid helped with flare ups.
This is very helpful and the best response I have been searching for for a long time. It is the general information I was looking for. I know every case is different, but this is very good info.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad it’s helped. I had 3 cats, a momma and her 2 babies end up on my porch one day all ended up with this condition. The mamma lived to 17 and the 2 babies are now 19 and still going. It’s a condition that can be managed with a good quality of life. Good luck!!

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad it’s helped. I had 3 cats, a momma and her 2 babies end up on my porch one day all ended up with this condition. The mamma lived to 17 and the 2 babies are now 19 and still going. It’s a condition that can be managed with a good quality of life. Good luck!!
Thank you. It has been encouraging. I had a small breakthrough with the vets office. Since I have been struggling like crazy trying to tempt him to eat without much success for over a good week now, the vet advised me to give him a tsp of pancake syrup first to make sure he will not go hypoglycemic from not eating. And secondly, if he won't eat on his own he will need to be force fed around the mouth ulcer. I just fed him his first meal now and he did very well. He even seemed to have less irritation that way than even eating alone.

Seeing that there is experience with this monster condition, early on I learned that it can indeed be hereditary. I've been fighting for Charlie along with this condition for years. If he suffers, I do too. I intend to keep up the good fight for him and be his sweet little voice always. :redheartpump: :bluecat: :redheartpump:

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been getting Fancy Feast. Do you recommend a specific type of baby food I can try?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it sounds counterintuitive but since cats swallow food whole I’ve always found small kibble better that soft food for stomatitis cats. My kitties when they would have flat ups would always get the soft food caught in the pockets of inflammation and it was painful to watch them try to get it uncaught. You may want to try a dry food.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it sounds counterintuitive but since cats swallow food whole I’ve always found small kibble better that soft food for stomatitis cats. My kitties when they would have flat ups would always get the soft food caught in the pockets of inflammation and it was painful to watch them try to get it uncaught. You may want to try a dry food.
He does better with dry food usually.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning the results of his blood work were available. He has Kidney Disease. The mouth sore, they said is apparently a symptom of it. He is starting treatment with fluids at home. I am going this evening to learn how to administer. I am sure I will do well, because I have already been giving him his Depo Medrol injections which are intramuscular and not simply under the skin. He will have to try a special kidney diet too. For now, if and until the ulcer heals he will mostly be syringe fed around that ulcer where he is able to eat with about 70% less difficulty. And has also started a pain medicine to help which seems to be effective enough.