How long does blood last after deworming?

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! My foster kitty took her first dose of deworming meds on Saturday. This morning I still noticed blood in her stool. Is it common to see blood during this process still? Her stool sample with blood came back negative last week. But the. I visibly saw worms in her poop so they treated her.
Hoping nothing else is wrong.

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any sort of straining, constipation, dehydration, etc could cause blood, along with parasites. I would definitely have another fecal checked in a month. They shed the parasites and eggs and everything at different times, also the possibility that the specific sample didn't contain anything. Recheck is always good. There are more in depth fecal panels they can do also. Is the stool formed or loose? Is is extra dry or hard?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah she had to go to the vet to get her ears cleaned out because they were so gunky and updated on a shot and they said retest in a few weeks after her meds. It’s not super loose, but not hard. Soft but formed? Bright red blood.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bright red blood usually indicates straining to defecate. It is at the end of the digestive system. Black, tarry looking stools indicate blood from higher up in the digestive system, much more serious. Bloody stool is somewhat common, as the body rids itself of the worms, and should only last two to three days at the most. The worms attach themselves to the intestine to feed and when detached can cause a small amount of bleeding. a hard stool may cause straining and bleeding too, make sure there is plenty of fresh water offered, set some small bowls around to entice her. You could add some water to any wet food, and get some pumpkin puree (with NO spices) to add too, about a teaspoon to the food as a fiber additive. Good luck and bless you for helping her!

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I haven’t noticed blood the past couple days but it is soft stool still. She hates wet food. I’ve tried several different kinds! I’d like her to eventually make the switch though since it’s much better for them. I change her water a couple times a day right now to make sure it’s fresh. No idea why she doesn’t even want to touch wet food.

but I give her tuna water. Thinking of the pumpkin since I tried it with my cats in the past. Getting her to eat it is going to be the hard part. She’s very lively and sweet! I’m so glad I found her ❤

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Argh! I found blood again. She took her deworming pill one week ago. Her stool is still soft and I found a trace of blood this morning. I remove the poop immediately after she goes. She was at the vet 3 times in the last week and a half. I guess I just may need to be patient. Going to try and get some pumpkin today. Poor babe has one thing after another.

Hyda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey hannah, is your cat doing alright now? Mine just got her deworming med and today i saw a dot of blood in her stools.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey hannah, is your cat doing alright now? Mine just got her deworming med and today i saw a dot of blood in her stools.
She is! I ended up giving her pumpkin which helped. We just moved and she had diarrhea again with a tiny drop due to straining but I think that’s from stress and excitement. We have to get a fecel test on Monday to be sure but I’m giving the pumpkin a try again. :)

I think it’s normal to see after the first few days.