How long does adult cat tKe to bond with us?

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted an adult female bengal from a breeder and she has been with us 2 mths now. Previously had posted threads on her for other matters.
She was used for breeding and now at 2. 5yrs, retired from breeding. She has been steralized now.
She is not talkative and is super quiet. No meows or even purrs.
She is not active like the bengal we see on you tube and does not like to go for walk.
She is on the ideal weight at 4.3kg and was eating raw chicken diet till yesterday we change to dry kibbles as per vet advice due to her ongoing ear infection.
Quistion is, she still does not consider us as family. She only see us for food and allows to be pet only when she allows. She does not bite or scratch us less in defensive mode when applying the ear drops.
She does not sit near us or follow us and times we fell like we don't have a cat at home.
How long does it take for an adult cat to bond with the family?
Believe she should be an F5 gen cat as I am base in Singapore where only F5 gen are allowed to be imported or bred.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Two months is just a very short time in the life of an adult cats. Add to that the fact that this kitty had a medical issue requiring a vet visit plus ear drops and it isn’t any wonder that she isn’t feeling 100% relaxed yet in her new home. It’s just all a big adjustment and despite it she is actually doing great if she isnt hiding all the time.

It hard to say how long it will take her to warm up to you and her new home- could be a few weeks or it could be a few months. It really depends on the personality of the cat, their previous socialization and their new environment. But I expect once you are finished with the ear drops you will start seeing changes in her personality.

I don’t really understand your vet’s recommendation to switch her to dry food though. If he doesn’t want her on raw, then talk to him about switching to a quality commercial canned cat food. It’s far more nutritious than dry and she will probably prefer it as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I heartily second the recommendation about a quality canned food. It is far, far better for her, and her kidneys will thank you as she ages.

Yes, patience is the key here. She has gone through a LOT of changes in a short time...surgery, new home, ear infections...she's just going to take some time. These articles might help you help her adjust:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have tried wellness brand can turkey, fish, turkey as well as instinct brand can food as well. She does not eat. Rather she gobble the dry arcana kibbles fast. She is a fussy cat as she only prefers the patte type and have tried different can variants. Even the ex ziwi brand beef flavour also not interested. will be hoping down to the pet shop to look around again. She drinks water from the fountain now.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted an adult female bengal from a breeder and she has been with us 2 mths now. Previously had posted threads on her for other matters.
She was used for breeding and now at 2. 5yrs, retired from breeding. She has been steralized now.
She is not talkative and is super quiet. No meows or even purrs.
She is not active like the bengal we see on you tube and does not like to go for walk.
She is on the ideal weight at 4.3kg and was eating raw chicken diet till yesterday we change to dry kibbles as per vet advice due to her ongoing ear infection.
Quistion is, she still does not consider us as family. She only see us for food and allows to be pet only when she allows. She does not bite or scratch us less in defensive mode when applying the ear drops.
She does not sit near us or follow us and times we fell like we don't have a cat at home.
How long does it take for an adult cat to bond with the family?
Believe she should be an F5 gen cat as I am base in Singapore where only F5 gen are allowed to be imported or bred.
Hey Suljas Suljas .
Bengals can be very stand offish at first and 2 months is not a very long time for her to get used to her new environment and to you.
Also Bengals can be just like other cats,some super active some laid back and lazy..they are not all Ninja,s.

And get a new vet, get a recommendation from a Bengal breeder for a vet that understands Bengals and their special needs. For example the standard type of anesthetic that vets use can kill a Bengal so you need a vet that knows what they are doing.
A F5 Bengal is only a few steps away from a Leopard cat that is an ultimate carnivore and dry foods and wet foods containing grains and other fillers will eventually make your cat sick. Also Bengals are totally and completely lactose intolerant so no dairy products at all.
As for the bonding this can take months or years for the cat to bond to the one person which Bengals do.
But we can short cut the system.
Start at the meal times and and break the meal into 2-3-4 portions depending on the patience of the cat and a rigid set time for the meal. Announce the time for dinner asking are you hungry or dinner time what ever you chose to say and give a portion and as she puts her head down to eat a quick rub on the back of the neck or a tug on the tail.
When she finished ask..want some more?? and look for some acknowledgement that she does and do the same again for touching as she feeds. Do this for each portion so there is a reward for touch and verbal interaction. Cats love ritual so this will make her feel secure too.
This after a while should open up some communication between you and the cat and she will start letting you relate to her and she to you. I still do this with my cat after nearly 3 years and mealtimes have turned into a noisy fun time with him yeowing at the top of his voice and me trying to make my self heard..lol. Avoid other petting unless she comes to you and talk to her each time you pass her or see her, talking to Bengals is as important as petting and hopefully she will start getting vocal back.
Also every now and then when you walk past her drop a treat in front of her nose and after a while you will be getting expectant looks and meows when you approach which further opens the communication channels with her.
Try this and see how you go and see if her attitudes soften a bit.
Make sure you came back and tell me how you go.
Also get onto some cat body language you tubes or web pages and learn to communicate with your cat by blinking your eyes and other little things...help speed things up for you.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW, Suljas Suljas , Silver Crazy Silver Crazy 's Bengal came to him as a badly abused cat, and is now a totally different animal. He knows whereof he speaks! I had meant to tag him for you from the start, and just plain got distracted. I am so sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Silver Crazy
thanks for the advise.
used to bring her to the vet but have engaged another vet who does home visits and this eliminates the carrier stress. This vet is more approachable.
My bengal behaviour for now is rather On her own terms.
1. she associates me with food. so I am her trustworthy chap coz I give her food. She will even follow me aroun, pushing me to her food plates. I can pet, touch, carry her and even sleep next to her. She does not purr and have never heard her purr at all. At night she will wake me up with small ball in her paw, asking me to play with her. So I am like her hooman slave. Lol.
2. with my wife she will sort of give some small chirps at time but other than that just like to sit a distance from her. But when when we put the drops in her ears whervshe puts a bit fight, she will surprisingly cuddle into my wife’s arms like a baby. My mrs will just wrap her in her arms like a baby and the bengal will just remain still hugging my wife.😺surprise as she don’t let us hold Her like that.
3.my 7 yr is some thing like a mix. He likes to carry her often which she don’t like. But she don’t bite or scratch him. So now when he approaches, if she does not want to be carried, she will pose into sleep pose.lol. But she kisses his head when he asked for it, plays with home most and likes to sleep next to him By coming near him herself.
4. my other two elder boys, she does not even want to be near them.
so as of now, it’s like she has 3 people she like to attend for different reason. Smart cat.