How Long Do You Leave Out Wet Food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sasha&Rocky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I mix the dry because I got a free bag of Taste of the Wild and he wont touch dry so I figured to get rid of it by soaking and mixing it in the wet until its gone. Then I probably wont buy it anymore. Is there more bacteria in the dry?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I mix the dry because I got a free bag of Taste of the Wild and he wont touch dry so I figured to get rid of it by soaking and mixing it in the wet until its gone. Then I probably wont buy it anymore. Is there more bacteria in the dry?
Dry food is much more processed and is coated in lots of “gunk.” It’s very susceptible to bacteria build up, especially when moistened. If you’re going to mix it with the wet I would make sure it’s eaten right away.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kinda late to the thread but I'll leave a can out for a whole 8 hours if I feed them before work since we live alone, but I feel like after a few hours it becomes unappetizing to the cats and they won't eat it after that. Hugo is especially picky since he doesn't like wet food much anyway. he'll pick at it for an hour tops and then it's like it's not even food anymore and he'll meow for something else.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to leave it for hours. Lately, I stopped and now refrigerate what doesn't get eaten within an hour. No particular reason for stopping, I just felt better about not leaving it out for so long.

For the record, none of my cats ever got sick when I used to leave it out. Of course, A/C was ALWAYS ON. I would NEVER leave food out in a warm home.