How long do steroid shots take to work in cats?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet saw Jellybean Saturday for basically a small bump on the inside of his lower lip, thinks it is eospholic granuloma but not from fleas bc he's an indoor cat. Gave him a steroid shot and an antibiotic. She wants to wait to see if he improves after 4 weeks. He does seem a bit better but still.'m curious as to how long those of you who've had kitties show inflammation and get a steroid shot took to see improvement?

The past few days he hasn't been eating as much of his dry food so I'm giving him more of his regular wet food to avoid liver issues. He doesn't seem 100%...

When it first showed up I slowly switched his dry food to something more simple using the 25 25 50 50 75 75 100 method so obviously not right away. But since he got the shot he doesn't seem to have the same vigor etc.

Hes not throwing up stool looks mostly normal was a little darker than usual so I'm defin. calling my vet tomorrow..

I should also note we feed him dry food in a ceramic bowl (we are getting a new elevated one to avoid whisker stress) and he has a catit fountain (I just ordered a fancy stainless steel one) so I'm trying to eliminate any sources of bacteria. It just seems weird in general. No throwing up, stomach is not hard, still peeing normal, urine clumps same size etc. Etc.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The antibiotic could be slowing him down too. steroid shots usually start to improve the cat's condition in about three days. You need about a week to show real improvement with the antibiotic too. I have had cats improve much quicker, but I think it may be what they have to begin with. tumors get smaller relatively quickly, other conditions just take longer.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the granuloma is on his chin, it could also be a little painful to eat if it's rubbing against the bowl. Feeding more wet food is a great idea and I'm glad you're thinking about keeping him eating. Steroids are usually quickly effective, but the anitbiotic could also be upsetting his tummy. What antibiotic did the vet give him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They gave him a steroid shot and a covenia injection. Just curious as to how long we should wait for a follow up? He has perked up.