How Long Do I Lock Up My Cat After Anesthetic?

Bighorncats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.

New to forum and new symptoms for me after first dental cleaning with anesthesia for any cats I’ve had.

Symptoms are 1 of our orange tabby cats is falling over when jumping off low heights or when head shakes. We have 2 orange tabbies, Mac is 7 y/o and Leo is 5. Leo recovered just fine and is jumping and running without any problems. Mac is tipping over or losing his balance. I thought at first his back legs were weak from the bruising or catheters in him but it seems more his balance is off. Took him back 24 hours after recovery and Vet/Dr said he is “still drunk and recovering”. Said to continue to monitor him and if he’s not fully recovered in another day or so to return. I hope he didn’t suffer some kind of lack of oxygen to result in any kind of permanent damage???

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer your inquiry, cats are affected by anesthesia differently, just like people. He may have gotten more anesthesia, or even be somewhat allergic to what he was given. Make sure his symptoms are on his record and are brought up for any further surgeries. It is something that needs to be known, they can switch anesthesia's, or give him less. Hopefully he just needs longer to recover, Try to get him to eat/drink, as much as you can, to get his systems going again, make sure he is using the litter box, this may slow him down a bunch and he may get constipated. Keep him safe, try not to let him climb where he will jump and get hurt. No stairs. Get some water dental additive for cats and hopefully this will help with their teeth, I get Oxyfresh on Amazon, (and Oratene) and noticed they have it at Walmart now too. Beware of vets that clean too often, i switched vets when i had one that just scheduled cleanings, the other vet said their teeth were fine. I will pray for his recovery, let us know how he is doing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My experience over many years is that cats can take anywhere from 12 to 72 hours to fully "shake off" the effects of anesthesia. Just like humans, cats have different metabolisms. MOST cats fall in a 24-48 hour window.