How Long Did Your Cat Survive Oral Cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just curious to hear what other cat humans have experienced with this. I’ve read several different time frames but am curious what your experiences were. Mainly curious about if you treated your cat with palliative/comfort care. Did you have your fur baby euthanized or did they cross the bridge on their own?

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my experience, from diagnosis to when I decided to euthanize, it was a little under two months. I didn't get a confirmed diagnosis either since I couldn't afford the biopsy but the vet was very confident in her opinion that it was most likely oral cancer. We were prescribed pain medication. It started to really become noticeable on her face and she stopped eating and refused to allow me to syringe feed her so I made the choice to euthanize based on her quality of life. So it happened devastatingly quickly in my case.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happened so fast! From the night I came home to Cabbie (Cabernet) drooling to the day she was euthanized was maybe two weeks. She had a tumor removed from her jaw and biopsied. She had an appointment scheduled with the oncologist. Over her final week, I was giving her “cat scores” (how well she was doing the cat thing.). By the weekend before her oncologist appointment, she was scoring ones and twos. The cat who always wanted to sit or sleep in the same room as me even if she was across the room spent the entire weekend under the bed and showed little interest in eating or doing any other cat things. She tolerated my attention but it didn’t seem to bring her any comfort or joy. It would have been the hardest decision for me to make if she hadn’t already made it for me. Didn’t make changing her appointment or what followed any easier though. So sorry you are going through this!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, from the diagnosis (first week of October 2016) to the end (end of March 2017) it was 25 weeks.
We could add the timeframe between the moment I first saw a symptom and the diagnosis, about 3 weeks.
Then the timeframe between the day the vets should have noticed it and the first symptom, 7 weeks.
So, I'd say not less than 35 weeks, that is 8 months.

I had her treated with chemo and radiation therapy. Though they are very invasive treatments, the oncologist said they were palliative because they wouldn't have cured my cat.
I also treated her with home "non-conventional" therapy, with supplements and herbs and "miracle things".
From the radiation therapy to the end it was 22 weeks.

My kitty was euthanized at home on a sunny and warm afternoon.
The vets told me that I would have known when the time was right. The first time I thought the time was right was Christmas 2016, when I called my vets to tell them to get ready to come home any time.
Then, between some good days and some bad days, she made it to the end of March, when I realized it was really the end.
I called the vet home, he arrived in an hour, and all was over... my life too.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently put down our cat due to an aggressive and fast growing cancer in his throat. He first presented with very benign symptoms of a URI. We did not know we were dealing with cancer until the vet removed the tumor postmortem, even with all the vet visits to treat him and figure out what was wrong. But if you look at the timeline from first symptom to his end, it was about 6 weeks. The day the vet finally found the tumor was the day we tried to remove it as his breathing had become very labored, but it was unsuccessful due to the size, location and type of tissue the vet encountered, and so we said goodbye.
The vet contacted us after the fact and said that even if we had found the tumor during the few short weeks prior, it would not have changed the outcome, due to the type of cancer it was. She also told us that he was lucky that the cancer only spread in his soft tissue, and he probably did not suffer any pain from it, just the discomfort of shortness of breath (URI symptoms). Cancer that spreads into the bone is VERY painful, so I firmly believe that euthanasia should be done if that happens and if you see that the quality of life is not there. Radiation therapy can help with bone cancer and the pain from it, but unfortunately it is not always an option. In our case, the only vet clinic that offers radiation therapy for this type of cancer is 6 hours drive away, and was required 3x week. And even then, it usually only extended the life for 1-3 weeks (with the type of cancer our cat had).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, from diagnosis to when I decided to euthanize, it was a little under two months. I didn't get a confirmed diagnosis either since I couldn't afford the biopsy but the vet was very confident in her opinion that it was most likely oral cancer. We were prescribed pain medication. It started to really become noticeable on her face and she stopped eating and refused to allow me to syringe feed her so I made the choice to euthanize based on her quality of life. So it happened devastatingly quickly in my case.
I’m so sorry to hear that happened so fast ☹ Affraid it will be the same, 2 days from now marks 1 month since the vet found the cancer.

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It happened so fast! From the night I came home to Cabbie (Cabernet) drooling to the day she was euthanized was maybe two weeks. She had a tumor removed from her jaw and biopsied. She had an appointment scheduled with the oncologist. Over her final week, I was giving her “cat scores” (how well she was doing the cat thing.). By the weekend before her oncologist appointment, she was scoring ones and twos. The cat who always wanted to sit or sleep in the same room as me even if she was across the room spent the entire weekend under the bed and showed little interest in eating or doing any other cat things. She tolerated my attention but it didn’t seem to bring her any comfort or joy. It would have been the hardest decision for me to make if she hadn’t already made it for me. Didn’t make changing her appointment or what followed any easier though. So sorry you are going through this!
I’m so sorry! It’s so hard to learn they’re sick and you will lose them soooo soon! I just started scoring him a couple of days ago. So far he is well above that 35 score. Gonna keep journaling daily. So many ups and downs so far.

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, from the diagnosis (first week of October 2016) to the end (end of March 2017) it was 25 weeks.
We could add the timeframe between the moment I first saw a symptom and the diagnosis, about 3 weeks.
Then the timeframe between the day the vets should have noticed it and the first symptom, 7 weeks.
So, I'd say not less than 35 weeks, that is 8 months.

I had her treated with chemo and radiation therapy. Though they are very invasive treatments, the oncologist said they were palliative because they wouldn't have cured my cat.
I also treated her with home "non-conventional" therapy, with supplements and herbs and "miracle things".
From the radiation therapy to the end it was 22 weeks.

My kitty was euthanized at home on a sunny and warm afternoon.
The vets told me that I would have known when the time was right. The first time I thought the time was right was Christmas 2016, when I called my vets to tell them to get ready to come home any time.
Then, between some good days and some bad days, she made it to the end of March, when I realized it was really the end.
I called the vet home, he arrived in an hour, and all was over... my life too.
Sorry to hear about your fur baby we decided to go with comfort care. Not sure how long he’ll make it... luckily today is a good day for him l!

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently put down our cat due to an aggressive and fast growing cancer in his throat. He first presented with very benign symptoms of a URI. We did not know we were dealing with cancer until the vet removed the tumor postmortem, even with all the vet visits to treat him and figure out what was wrong. But if you look at the timeline from first symptom to his end, it was about 6 weeks. The day the vet finally found the tumor was the day we tried to remove it as his breathing had become very labored, but it was unsuccessful due to the size, location and type of tissue the vet encountered, and so we said goodbye.
The vet contacted us after the fact and said that even if we had found the tumor during the few short weeks prior, it would not have changed the outcome, due to the type of cancer it was. She also told us that he was lucky that the cancer only spread in his soft tissue, and he probably did not suffer any pain from it, just the discomfort of shortness of breath (URI symptoms). Cancer that spreads into the bone is VERY painful, so I firmly believe that euthanasia should be done if that happens and if you see that the quality of life is not there. Radiation therapy can help with bone cancer and the pain from it, but unfortunately it is not always an option. In our case, the only vet clinic that offers radiation therapy for this type of cancer is 6 hours drive away, and was required 3x week. And even then, it usually only extended the life for 1-3 weeks (with the type of cancer our cat had).
ugh so sorry to read about your baby! I’m glad he is no longer suffering... we’re at 4 weeks since diagnosis today but drolling, bad breath etc started 3-4 weeks prior. It’s horrible how fast this happens to them!

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you decided for a comfort care.
What does it include, exactly?
Thanks, it includes buprenex pain meds and Metacam anti inflammatory/pain reliever. Also he can eat whatever he wants whenever he wants! (Which is mostly just baby food) he stopped begging for our food weeks ago but occasionally will eat some meat.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, basically it is a pain killer therapy.
I'm so sorry, he is such a handsome cat... :(

More and more cats are getting victims of this kind of cancer. I wonder if there's something wrong in this world, something dangerous for them.

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks he is a handsome boy! And a lover to the end! I wonder the same thing! Just like humans more and more pets are getting cancer.... hes 12 but was always acting sooo young!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy had throat cancer, it's been 12 years so my timeline is fuzzy. I know we caught it when it was the size of a quarter, or smaller, I felt a small lump before he had any other symptoms. The vet thought abcess but my gut said it wasn't and I pushed for a biopsy the first day. They did one to shut me up and it came back as cancer within 24 hours. He had surgery to remove it with a week and started chemo the week after. Six months of chemo and the growth came back. We attempted a second surgery to buy him some more time, not planning on restarting chemo, but the cancer wrapped around his artery that time and could not be removed. He lasted a few more months, I want to say three but it could have been six months or just two months. Our vet came to our house when it was time.

He never had any obvious physically problems, had a great appitite up to the end and didn't loose any weight. What made us decide it was time was he lashed out at us when petting. Which convinced us it had made it to his brain and was starting to affect his mental state. He did have a softball size lump on his neck that somehow did not interfere with his eating or grooming at that point. So we made the call before it caused him a huge discomfort but when we could tell it was starting to impact his quality of life. I don't regret when we made the choice and I am eternally grateful for the vet coming down.

The vet originally estimated he'd have 3-6 months with no treatment. So treatment bought him some time. Because of how much he disliked the vet and how little extra time her got, I wish we hadnt done the chemo. But I know it's a pointless wish because if we hadn't I would have regretted not doing it. I do know the experience has made me reevaluate how much I am willing to do to treat over quality of life. My girl I will never do anything invasive or aggressive with, she may have a shorter life but she just can't handle that much. My boy though I can push harder and do more for.

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww that is a tough story... so sorry to hear that. We decided not to go through with chemo/radiation just bc it would be guaranteed to come back anyways and would just prolong his suffering and ours due to to the location in his mouth. Today he is happy... letting go is so hard no matter how much time you have!!

Oldladykatie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly my baby Rocko crossed the Bridge last week Thursday. He made it exactly 6 weeks from the day we found out. There were so many ups and downs for him. He took a turn for the worst last Monday and Tuesday and then perked up to give us one last load of love on the day of his Euthanasia. Despite that we stood by the decision bc we couldn’t bare to watch him go downhill yet again and the couple of days prior he fell below the pawspice quality of life score. Our hearts are utterly broken. I miss him terribly!!! I created a video with all of his pictures and video clips. I must have watched it a 100 times already... it helps ease the pain. I will love my Rocko Taco and think of him forever. They definitely take a piece of you when they go!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Oldladykatie Oldladykatie ,
I'm, very sorry for the loss of your precious Rocko!

It does hurt, it's more than a piece of us that goes with them, it's a good half of our heart.
Rocko gathered all his energies to give you a last flood of love before flying to the Bridge, he wanted to thank you for all that you had done for him. Till the last moment when you saved him from a tremendous ending.
But he'll never forget you and will wait you to be together again one day.

RIP Rocko, all is fine now :(

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are locked after such a loss as a sign of respect. Please consider starting a tribute thread for your boy in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, Rocko. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.