How long did it take your kitty to conver from dry to wet?

How long did it take to convert from dry to wet?

• Immediately - my kitty just ate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 day - 1 week

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • >1 - 2 weeks

• >2 weeks - 1 month

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • >1 month - 3 months

• >3 months - 6 months

• >6 months - 1 year

• 1 year +

• Total voters

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always talk about how stubborn some of our kibble addicts can be. I thought it'd be fun/educational to get poll answers on this. I'm sure we'll get some answers on the way long end. Then we can show new members trying to convert that kitties don't necessarily just chow down whatever is served, but even the most stubborn ones can be converted.

Multiple answers are allowed for those who have more than one kitty. Looking for total time it took, so your conversion should be complete, not in progress.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my case converting from dry / kibble  diet   to  an all wet diet was almost  immediate .. My cats have always eaten  a grain free  dry  and  Fancy Feast can  food occasionally ..

So I just stopped giving the dry food and  started feeding  only  their favorite wet and they are just as happy .. 

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was around a month for us. In the course of a month they went from free fed dry to meal fed wet. They were both really happy to get wet meals, especially since Mo only get them on a treat basis in the past. Now the novelty is wearing off and Kismet's being a little turd about the wet she receives.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine only get wet once a day. I dont know how i would get them to eat enough wet. To be enough calories. they eat 4 times a day know. They would have to eat so much at one feeding. Our youngest can eat 2oz faster then the older cats eat an ounce. I still have trouble getting some to finsh their wet. Not sure they being full or bored. Or...

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat took to wet immediately. She looked at me and meowed at me as if to say "about time stupid human."

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin has always LOVED wet food, so she took to the change immediately. Simba is a stubborn little thing, and I tried switching him multiple times and he would just sniff it and walk away, refusing to eat anything until he got dry. This was when they were being free fed dry. I switched to scheduled feedings of dry for a week then started putting down wet at meal times instead of dry and he started eating it because he knew it was the only food he was getting until next feeding. He also will not touch anything except 3 flavors of Friskies pate. (Mixed Grill, Turkey & Giblets, Chicken & Liver) Now they get 4 feedings of wet a day, NO DRY at all (except treats when they get teeth brushed, nails clipped, etc)

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have always gone from the momma to wet to dry.  Set of kittens 20 years ago, we didn't offer until they were 6+ months old.  DH decided for what ever reason.  THIS time around, three of the kittens were on dry and wet.  Wally was wet only, JUST having come off the the bottle at 3 weeks and was eating Pàte.

Now the kids eat Friskies turkey and chicken products.  We vary it.  We have tried fish products... no go.  Beef products are too strong.  Gives them all thhe poopers and throwing up

Wally, the only one of my bunch not eatting hard food, has been eatting hard kitten food for 2-3 weeks now.  I will find out how old he is today.  We need to pick them up soon. 

lindamc62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Immediately.  Most of my cats prefer wet.  I leave some dry out to give my skinny 16 year old cat (being treated for hyperthyroidism) as many opportunities to eat as possible, but it goes slowly.  I only had one cat that ate mostly dry. She was very picky!

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cats were free-fed kibble but always got a daily treat of wet. After Tim's second serious constipation episode, we started increasing the amount of wet we gave them each day and they loved it. And we decided we should switch the balance - primarily wet with an occasional treat of kibble. Abby loved that and her attitude was like "it's about time". While Tim loved eating the extra wet, he had a hard time not being able to freely eat and he really had a fit that we were offering fewer and fewer kibbles. It took several months for them to adapt from free-feeding to timed-feeding.