How Long Can Kittens Survive Without Mama?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you guys help me please. As you know I rescued this white cat (Snow White) and she gave birth inside our apartment. Usually when I feed her in the morning she just goes out of the house to poop and pee, and immediately comes back after. She does now want to use the litter box that we have for her inside. She would just sit there by the door and make noises so I'd know she is finished with her thing.

This morning as usual after eating she left so I took a shower and got ready for work, thinking that by the time I get out of the bathroom she would be in front of the door and waiting for it to be opened. But she was not there. I waited. And waited. My husband and I searched for her outside but in vain. We were already running late for work but still we searched. After sometime we had to go, but I am worried about the kittens.

My question is, how long will the kittens make it without Mama's milk? How many hours? I will be here in the office until 5pm and will reach home an hour later. I am not sure what happened to Snow White but she has always been a good Mama. I am worried something happened to her.

Lesson learned. I hope she gets back and when / if she does, I am never going to let her out of the house again!

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be in heat and looking for a mate.
I wouldn't let the kittens go more than 12 hours (max) without food. If she doesn't come back you will have to take on the roll of mama. I'm don't know what kind of pet supplies you can get in Qatar, but KMR if available. At the very least, goats milk. Feed them belly down (just like they would if they were nursing). You will also have to stimulate for poop/pee. Unfortunately this has to be done every two hours including throughout the night, depending on age.
How old are the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
She may be in heat and looking for a mate.
I wouldn't let the kittens go more than 12 hours (max) without food. If she doesn't come back you will have to take on the roll of mama. I'm don't know what kind of pet supplies you can get in Qatar, but KMR if available. At the very least, goats milk. Feed them belly down (just like they would if they were nursing). You will also have to stimulate for poop/pee. Unfortunately this has to be done every two hours including throughout the night, depending on age.
How old are the kittens?
They are just a little over one week of ages. Five kittens in all.
I am working so I would not be able to feed them every so often. Oh no! :(

I hope Snow White is back when we get home later.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Healthy kittens may survive surprising long. But its not ideal, better to be prepared to handfeed them at least when you are at home.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I asked my husband to leave work much early to check if Snow White returned. Well, she was not anywhere near the apartment. My husband found her several blocks from ours and literally kidnapped her and brought her back inside our flat. She was with another cat, probably a male! Oh dear me! Can she get pregnant while still nursing??

This cat is not leaving the house anymore!

Thank you for your responses.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
This is Snow White! Home at last after several hours of wandering about.

4FBEB014-C7EF-4D17-83F8-7C1BF3F07DFF.jpeg

And these are her 5 dwarfs, photo taken as of last night. Their eyes are still closed.
F75F5DBD-F861-4667-AFCB-29C97123A496.jpeg

Thank God their mama is back!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she could get pregnant again very soon after delivery. If she was with a tom cat .........you will have to be prepared to have her spayed.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she could get pregnant again very soon after delivery. If she was with a tom cat .........you will have to be prepared to have her spayed.
Oh no!
Can she be spayed while still nursing? The vet advised us to wait for the kittens to be weaned.

Panic mode on.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With a little luck she will continue to nurse them even after spaying.
But you do of course prepare for handfeeding. The prepared is guarded! :)

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
With a little luck she will continue to nurse them even after spaying.
But you do of course prepare for handfeeding. The prepared is guarded! :)
Ok thanks a lot. I will ask the vet again. I hope I could get her spayed before I leave for a month for my vacation. Otherwise, I might come back with additional dwarfs in my house. :(

Yes, I will look around for supplies needed for hand-feeding. I am not sure if they are available from where I am. Oh dear...:(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she probably got pregnant again. Cats! If you wait until they're fully weaned she'd probably be too far along for a spay/abort. Talk to the vet about your options. I know there's a mismatch shot for dogs that can be given within 3 days of an unwanted mating, but I don't know if it works for cats or if it would mess up her nursing.

She can be spayed while nursing---many cats who get c-sections are spayed at the same time---but there's always the risk that she'd stop nursing.

I would probably have her spayed when the kittens are about 4 weeks old. That way she's not too far along and the kittens are old enough that if you have to handfeed them they'd probably be fine.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote said: Yes, I will look around for supplies needed for hand-feeding. I am not sure if they are available from where I am. Oh dear...:([/QUOTE]

I have found this info on Internet:"Goat's milk is available in Doha in Lulu supermarket's. It is packaged in 1 litre tetra packs." Hope this is useful for you.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote said: Yes, I will look around for supplies needed for hand-feeding. I am not sure if they are available from where I am. Oh dear...:(
I have found this info on Internet:"Goat's milk is available in Doha in Lulu supermarket's. It is packaged in 1 litre tetra packs." Hope this is useful for you.[/QUOTE]
Wow! A BIG THANK YOU! I could hug you right now. Thanks for the help.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she probably got pregnant again. Cats! If you wait until they're fully weaned she'd probably be too far along for a spay/abort. Talk to the vet about your options. I know there's a mismatch shot for dogs that can be given within 3 days of an unwanted mating, but I don't know if it works for cats or if it would mess up her nursing.

She can be spayed while nursing---many cats who get c-sections are spayed at the same time---but there's always the risk that she'd stop nursing.

I would probably have her spayed when the kittens are about 4 weeks old. That way she's not too far along and the kittens are old enough that if you have to handfeed them they'd probably be fine.
Thanks for the info. I have scheduled her for spaying on the 28th, before we leave. I can't be on vacation and worrying that she'd be pregnant again.