How long before kitten gets used to new food?

Cookie dough

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi we have had our lovely kitten for almost 3 weeks. The person we got her from said she ate "anything" and gave different foods. We bought whiskers kitten wet food but she started with diorrra a few days after we got her. We took her to the vets and got panacur and some pro kolin. I asked moved her onto boiled chicken. There wasn't any improvement, maybe the odd less runny poo every couple of days but still cow pat ish. Anyway another vets visit and she gave her antibiotics and some more pro kolin. The vet also advised to put her onto kitten food instead of chicken. Normally she wouldn't recommend changing food suddenly since as it can cause diorrea but since she already had diorrea then she said to do it. We bought ava wet kitten food (which she loves) and she's been having that ever since. She still has diorrea, I'm hoping now the antibiotics have stopped that things improve a little as she's been very gassy whilst on them and had leaking poo dribbles. Anyway my question (sorry its long winded) is how long does it take for a kitten to eventually get use to new foods when changed suddenly? It will be a week on Monday thats she will of been on the new food, she is due another wormer on tues too which might help if she does have worms (never seen any but I know loose stools can be a sign of some). Apart from that she is healthy, gaining weight, active and playful the vet said if I hadn't of told her about the diorrea she wouldn't of guessed. Thank you if you've made it this far!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi we have had our lovely kitten for almost 3 weeks. The person we got her from said she ate "anything" and gave different foods. We bought whiskers kitten wet food but she started with diorrra a few days after we got her. We took her to the vets and got panacur and some pro kolin. I asked moved her onto boiled chicken. There wasn't any improvement, maybe the odd less runny poo every couple of days but still cow pat ish. Anyway another vets visit and she gave her antibiotics and some more pro kolin. The vet also advised to put her onto kitten food instead of chicken. Normally she wouldn't recommend changing food suddenly since as it can cause diorrea but since she already had diorrea then she said to do it. We bought ava wet kitten food (which she loves) and she's been having that ever since. She still has diorrea, I'm hoping now the antibiotics have stopped that things improve a little as she's been very gassy whilst on them and had leaking poo dribbles. Anyway my question (sorry its long winded) is how long does it take for a kitten to eventually get use to new foods when changed suddenly? It will be a week on Monday thats she will of been on the new food, she is due another wormer on tues too which might help if she does have worms (never seen any but I know loose stools can be a sign of some). Apart from that she is healthy, gaining weight, active and playful the vet said if I hadn't of told her about the diorrea she wouldn't of guessed. Thank you if you've made it this far!
Hello Cookie dough Cookie dough and sweet kitten and welcome to TCS! Experts advise mixing new foods in with established diet, adding more and decreasing est. diet over a period of two weeks, at which time your kitten will be on 100% new food. Cats' stomachs/digestive systems are pretty sensitive, and kittens' can be more so. Also, tinned pumpkin, WITHOUT spices, can help clear up diarrhea. Mix a spoonful or two into her wet food. It reportedly helps clear diarrhea OR constipation, and it is natural and gentle. Chicken is a gentle and palatable food, but it might be better to give a high quality chicken formula kitten or cat food rather than "table scraps" while she's having this problem. Keep us informed, okay? *And we love pix here at TCS!*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cookie dough

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately she hasn't been on any established diet whilst with us, the whiskers was only for a few days, boiled chicken breast didn't help at all, she's been on ava for 5days. I'll look into the pumpkin I didn't know that thank you!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately she hasn't been on any established diet whilst with us, the whiskers was only for a few days, boiled chicken breast didn't help at all, she's been on ava for 5days. I'll look into the pumpkin I didn't know that thank you!
Yeah, I didn't think it would apply in her/your case but it is what "experts" suggest. The pumpkin can't hurt. The worst that could happen is that she won't like it.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about probiotics I had the same problem with one of mine when he was a little kitten By the 2nd day on probiotics it was all cleared up

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten took weeks to settle! She was also young when I got her and before I brought her home fed puppy milk, canned milk, and calf milk replacer. Poor thing! We did antibiotics, checked for parasites, took her back and forth to the vet. It just took a little extra time to get her to a good place.