How long before a female cat comes back into heat after mating with a male cat who has had a vasectomy?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long before a female cat comes back into heat after mating with a male cat who has had a vasectomy? Does an infertile male due to natural causes still mate with in heat females? I apologize for all of my stupid questions.

Thanks in advance!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How recently was the male neutered? Males can still have live sperm for a couple of months after being neutered. If it was done recently it's possible that your cat is actually pregnant and will not come into heat again.

If she's not pregnant I would expect her to follow her usual heat cycle.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, vasectomies are what men have to make them infertile. Neutering a cat is a simpler (i.e. cheaper) and a more complete operation, which also gets rid of most of the production of male hormones so the cat becomes less interested in female cats.

If a tom cat has been neutered but still copulates with a female in heat it's fair to assume that the neutering was quite recent because the tom is running on residual hormones that haven't yet left his system.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, vasectomies are what men have to make them infertile. Neutering a cat is a simpler (i.e. cheaper) and a more complete operation, which also gets rid of most of the production of male hormones so the cat becomes less interested in female cats.

If a tom cat has been neutered but still copulates with a female in heat it's fair to assume that the neutering was quite recent because the tom is running on residual hormones that haven't yet left his system.

Margret
I'm talking about male cats that have had a vasectomy specifically to trigger ovulation in queens kept for breeding purposes. Male cats that have been a vasectomy will still mate with in heat females, unlike a male that has been neutered. Neutering a male gets rid of all of those hormones whereas a vasectomy does not.
How recently was the male neutered? Males can still have live sperm for a couple of months after being neutered. If it was done recently it's possible that your cat is actually pregnant and will not come into heat again.

If she's not pregnant I would expect her to follow her usual heat cycle.
Huh. I didn't know that. I knew that their hormones don't leave their body until after about a month after neuter surgery, but I didn't that they could still impregnate a female during that time.

None of my cats are pregnant or been recently fixed. I'm just trying to piece together this big puzzle. Thank you, GoldyCat GoldyCat .

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe I've read that a female mated by a vasectomized tom will have a full cycle, often going into a false pregnancy. So it could be a few months before she comes back into heat. But I have no practical experience with it, and I assume, like all living beings, there's a fair amount of variation.

And, yeah, the same way a human male has to give a sample a few weeks after a vasectomy to make sure his tubes are clear, a recently neutered/vasectomized male cat may have some sneaky sperm hiding in the tubes so it can be a while before he's totally infertile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! That's what I wanted to know. Thanks again!