How long after using "Advantage" for fleas, can you bathe your kitty?

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dear mother in law(not!) came over, about 3 weeks ago, with her little Cairn Terrier. After being here for 2 hours, she commented she was going nuts with the dog, because (and I quote!) "He is just INFESTED with fleas!" --UGH!!! (So, can you explain what-the-heck you brought that flea-infested dog over here for???!!!
)
So, then my DH was in the hospital for a couple weeks, and when we got home, (I had the neighbor coming in and watching the cats) my cats DID get the darn fleas. They are inside cats.
Well, I got the Advantage for them, and the flea pill, and they had them about 5 days ago. They are still scratching a bit. (Oh, I set off flea bombs too, and got us all out of here, for a day)
So, when can I bathe them with for fleas--OR do I not need to, even though they still seem to be scratching sometimes. This was not something they had been doing, prior to the fleas. If anyone knows, will you post? This is something new to me, with indoor fleas and, needless to say, I am NOT happy with my M.I.L.!!!

Thanks!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry about your cats catching the fleas. Your MIL needs some education on taking care of her animals, sheesh...
Anyway, my cats are outdoor and I rarely bathe them (only if they get too dirty). I had them treated for fleas last November (only found one flea on one cat and it's a quick visit to the vet for all three).I don't know about the other TCS members here, but I believe cats don't need to be bathed that often.

BTW, hope you got rid of those fleas!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once you treat them with Advantage or other treatments you get from your vet, bathing is not necessary. The fleas will die right away, the eggs take a bit longer. Fleas come into the house this time of year so you might want to bomb the house one more time when it is safe to do so-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh--THANKS to you all!! I usually don't bathe them, but they were still scratching some, and I thought, maybe the Advantage didn't work well enough. I bet it is the flea eggs that have hatched, that are after them now. I am going to get one more flea bomb, as I have one left over, and need two, to use, for the space I need to bomb. Thanks again. I just hate to see them be uncomfortable and feel like that! I have had poison ivy before and it itched like nothing I've ever felt! So, I'd imagine, that being infested with fleas, would make you just about that itchy too!!! (UGH!!)