How long after loosing the mucus plug does a cat usually go before labour?

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster cat peppa is currently pregnant and due any time now! I had her at the emergancy vets last night (sunday) as she had greeny yellow discharge from her vigina.. The vet was the only one there as it was Sunday and emergancy clinic only. He looked her over and gave her a ultrasound (it was a amazing experience!) [emoji]128518[/emoji] and said there is no sings of infection and her and her 4-6 babies look perfect and healthy.. He said the discharge was lily her mucus plug and labour should start tonight ( meaning Sunday it's now Monday evening) and still nothing is happening, she is very clingy to me and crys when I leave the room so iv litrally been camping out in hear for the past 12 hrs [emoji]128514[/emoji] thank god my son's at his grandma's for a few days! She is grooming her self alot and she dosnt stay in one place for long ie she will move every half hr or less to a direct spot in the room... Iv noiced no contractions or anything! I'm so inpatient now and just want them to arrive haha! I know they will come when they are ready but does any body know how long around it is after loosing the mucus plug that she should deliver?? She also had a bloody show from her vigina on Friday morning..

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is in stage one labor with all the uncomfortable moving around. She will probably deliver within 24 hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh goodness! Poor cat has to start all over again immediately. She must have conceived when her kittens were barely one month old. This is certainly less than ideal.

What are the plans to spay her so she does not have to continue breeding like this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just so you all know She is a cat I am fostering from the RSPCA she is not mine all mine were spayed and nutered once they hit 6 months I would never ever let one of mine reproduce the way she Was just left to do... peppa is just turning 2 and is on her 3rd litter her previous owner neglected her and her babies they were found in a squalid house, crawling in fleas and we're both malnurished, she and her 12 week old son came to me but he has now gone back before she has her next litter, I do belive she will be spayed once her kittens are 8 weeks and then she will go back to the center, her kittens will all be spayed/nutered at 10 weeks before they are rehomed.. This will thankfully be her last litter!

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a pregnant foster cat iv had her 3 weeks today. I was told that she was dated at 5 weeks pregnant at the vets 10 days before she came to me and she's now been with me for 3 week I worked out she should of been due during the week somtimes but still no babies. Last Sunday she had some greeny yellow thick discharge from her vigina so we took her to the vet to be sure everything was ok as I worried about infection. THe vet said everything was fine and there was no infection and it was probably just her mucus plug, he said the babies will be hear by tues night at the latest.. its now Saturday morning and still nothing, she is very clingy and restless she has been all week and she is eating and is perfectly fine in her self and the kittens are very active moving around lots so I'm thinking he may of dated her wrong by a week or so, this morning I went in her room to feed her and I seen this in her vigina it looks a bit different to last week it's got more of a orangey colour to it... does anybody know what this is??

Last edited by a moderator:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a couple of things including part of the mucus plug.  You can call the vet and send him the pictures.  Since he has seen the cat it should be okay to get a phone consult.

How is she doing now?

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is ok she is still eating alot and apart from what came out yesterday there has been no more, I have noticed that her vigina looks open!she's still as affectionate as she usually is but no real signs she's starting in labour.. last night she was up and down of the bed then she would go in her little house and she was also going lien in her litter tray, she would scrape for ages on it then instead of doing anything she would just lay down for ages then she would get up and go lie somwere else ..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like she's in early labor and starting to dilate. This is good progress :).

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
O I do hope so, she looks quite open (her vigina) the only experience iv had of cats having kittens is when my mums cat lily had kittens 3 years ago, she was restless from around 6am then at 9pm she started having contractions and pushing exactly on day 64 by 1am all 4 kittens had arrived so I'm pritty new to all this and not got any experience really as my mum was the one who was with lily when she had hers . Peppa has litrally lay in her nest today and not moved much apart from coming out for her meals or to use the tray she is usually based on the window cill sunning her self.. I spoke to the lady who runs the fostering today and she said that if she hasn't had them by tues she will take her to the vets.. They can't know for sure when she's due asthey don't know when she got caught so they have just estemated. I'm so exited for them to arrive she is getting really big now and her belly is just solid, kittens are moving alot and you can distinguish little feet and legs when they are moving, she never seems to be able to get comfy and stay comfy for more than 20-30 mins or so then she's moving around again fingers crossed they arrive before Tuesday :) ill keep this thread updated on her progress x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If her vagina is dilating then she's probably within 24 hours of birthing. Let's hope so and that she has an easy time with it as well.

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No nothing yet she's still eating all of her meals and just sleeping most of the time in her nest or on the floor next to it and grooming her self she seems so fed up and uncomfortable.. Iv not noticed her leekinng any milk yet iv read today that they will start to get there milk shortly before labour?

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not much change in peppa today, still just eating and sleeping really, her belly feels like a rock today and seems almost like it's dropped... her vulva is still open in fact today it's even more open, she is having a hard time now getting up if she has been lay on her side she sort of wobbles for a few seconds like a turtle on its back [emoji]128514[/emoji] she is also havin a tuff time getting Down there to groom, she just wants me to rub her belly for her when I'm stroking her she will roll over for me to tickle her belly and back legs.. I hope they arrive soon! I'm thinking no later than this week surly?!?!?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It should be soon if she's dilated. She sounds very uncomfortable. She has all the signs that it's imminent! :)

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
any news on your arrivals yet?  Missy started last night and now has 4 cute little bundles 

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh how lovey :) hope her and kittens are doing ok, no kittens on my end yet, she was back at the vets on Monday due to her having diarrhea and there was reduced moment with kittens we couldn't feel anything atall, when we got there peppa was fine but they could only pick up one heartbeat the vet did say that it dosnt mean the rest have died it could be that they are just in a funny position:( she felt some slight moment on the left but nothing on the right.. I have sins felt moment again on both sides bur it is nothing like what we were feeling and seeing last week, she said it could be them moving in to position for birth and the fact there very cramped in there as to why there's reduced movment.. she was dated wrong at the first vets and if she was "overdue" she would be very poorly by now, she said it can be easy to date a cat wrong especially when she got pregnant so soon after giving birth because she's still all swollen and she had no time for her body to go back to normal so that could be why the first vet thaught she was future along.. its just a waiting game now, iv got to take her temp 2 wise daily and if it goes to 37° or below and nothing happend in 12 hrs I have to take her straight back and also if it raises above 39° I have to take her back in.. I hope they arrive soon for her she is so big and uncomfortably and fed up x