How long after an enema does a 1-2 week old kitten go poop?

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. :wave3: First time poster here.

I recently became a mother to 2 precious little kittens. I would guesstimate their ages to be roughly 10 days or so old, but not entirely sure.
The male has no trouble eating or going pee/poo and seems all around healthy. The female (also the runt) seemed like she was having a hard time having a bowel movement. Its understandable that the potential for them to get constipated was high when they were transitioned to KMR. A few days ago, I noticed that the female kitty was refusing to eat and seemed lethargic. So I ended up taking her to the vet and they performed an enema on her because the x-ray showed that she was really backed up. I felt so awful for letting them do that to her, but I wanted to give her every fighting chance she could get...

Since then, she is acting normal. She eats well and is active. The only thing that concerns me is that she has not been able to poop. I stimulate both kitties and the only one who has been able to have successful normal poos is the male.
Is this normal? I spoke with the same vet that I took her to that performed the enema and they said it is concerning that she has not had a bowel movement yet, but not sure..

If anyone would be able to help me out with this issue that would be greatly appreciated.
Please be kind to me~~

Gratuitous kitten pic below:
KakaoTalk_20200415_141450244.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much does she weigh and how much is she eating in a 24-hour period?

Add drops of olive oil to her formula. This usually helps soften the poop. Also, you can mix her formula with clear pedialyte rather than water. This will also help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to weigh her for the first time yesterday as I didn't have a scale on hand. She weighs about 260g. When I see the kitten growth charts online, she is heavier than what's listed on those charts. Am I overfeeding her? I try to feed her until she is full, which is typically about 7-9ml during each feeding. I don't weigh her as she's eating so I am not sure on exact numbers, but I would say 42-54ml in a 24 hour period.

My mom, who looks after the kitties while I am at work says that the amount the eat have increased to almost 14ml
I'll have to give the olive oil technique a try. About how many drops per ml of formula do I use?

Sorry if I don't sound like a diligent surrogate mother. :sweat:
I really do care about them and want them to live long.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She weighs a touch over 9 ounces! A 2-week old kitten should weigh 8 ounces; 12 ounces at 3 weeks; and 16 ounces at 4 weeks. So she’s at least 2 weeks old.

At that weight she needs a minimum of 72 ounces every 24 hours. More is fine if she wants it! The rule of thumb is 8 mLs per ounce.

You’ll add 2 drops to each feeding. If she begins to get diarrhea, back off on the oil a little. If she still hasn’t pooped in another 24 hours I’ll tell you the glycerin trick. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She weighs a touch over 9 ounces! A 2-week old kitten should weigh 8 ounces; 12 ounces at 3 weeks; and 16 ounces at 4 weeks. So she’s at least 2 weeks old.

At that weight she needs a minimum of 72 ounces every 24 hours. More is fine if she wants it! The rule of thumb is 8 mLs per ounce.

You’ll add 2 drops to each feeding. If she begins to get diarrhea, back off on the oil a little. If she still hasn’t pooped in another 24 hours I’ll tell you the glycerin trick. :)
Apologies for the late update.
She finally pooped! I'm so glad the olive oil did the trick.:woo:
I was starting to get really worried, but she is quite the fighter. So feisty!
20200419_115904.jpg