How is your school operating in the Fall?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the back and forth is harder for kids anyway. Most do better with a routine.
I agree. In the email from the school, it said that bathrooms would only be open during lunch. Can you imagine a bunch of kids having to hold it until lunchtime and then everyone racing to use the bathroom before it gets too crowded and they have to wait??

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. In the email from the school, it said that bathrooms would only be open during lunch. Can you imagine a bunch of kids having to hold it until lunchtime and then everyone racing to use the bathroom before it gets too crowded and they have to wait??
That makes almost no sense at all to me. :dunno: Lets avoid congregating by making everyone go at once.:headscratch: I don’t know how much time they get for lunch; but that probably isn’t enough to both eat (possibly with a long lunch line) and get through a bathroom line.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes almost no sense at all to me. :dunno: Lets avoid congregating by making everyone go at once.:headscratch: I don’t know how much time they get for lunch; but that probably isn’t enough to both eat (possibly with a long lunch line) and get through a bathroom line.
Lunch would be an hour long. Youngest will be a Senior next year so I really want him to have some of those "in school" experiences but they want to clamp down on weird stuff.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How big is the school? I remember we had 3 lunch periods and at least 5 lunch lines including the salad bar. They still had long lines just to get food. I don’t really remember how long we had for lunch though. It sure wasn’t an hour.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is the school? I remember we had 3 lunch periods and at least 5 lunch lines including the salad bar. They still had long lines just to get food. I don’t really remember how long we had for lunch though. It sure wasn’t an hour.
It's a pretty large school. Only high school in our area so all the kids from the different elementary and middle schools go there.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Youngest went back to school yesterday. He said only 2 people were on his bus and only 50 kids showed up at school. There is normally about 1100 students. I guess most parents said screw it and will send their kids back in the Fall.

They have two groups so probably 100 students total decided on in person learning.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most parents that are pushing for this have given up on this year they are wanting to make sure that schools are open again in the fall. Ohio put teachers and school employees between the 70 and 65 year old people for vaccinations and held clinics at the school so everyone employed by the schools had the opportunity to be vaccinated. There were some other demands by the union as well. I think this is all about opening again in the fall.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most parents that are pushing for this have given up on this year they are wanting to make sure that schools are open again in the fall. Ohio put teachers and school employees between the 70 and 65 year old people for vaccinations and held clinics at the school so everyone employed by the schools had the opportunity to be vaccinated. There were some other demands by the union as well. I think this is all about opening again in the fall.
I was fine with youngest continuing with online school since he was doing so well but he wanted to go back. I bet the numbers for the elementary and maybe the Middle School are a lot higher than what it was for the High School.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did he feel about it after being back?

We only have 1 quarter left to the year here; so I could see some just waiting for next year.
He's almost 17 so getting anything out of him besides a grunt is pretty hard. :lol: Can't really say how his firsr two days went. He will only be going Mon-Thurs every other week. I will ask him tomorrow if he wants to go back to 100% online and see what he says.

We too only have one more quarter so I agree that is probably the reason.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like once kids/parents realized that hardly anyone came back to school, they decided not to anymore either. Youngest said that there should be about 6 people in his classes but yesterday, only 3 showed up. He said he was the only kid in one of his classes yesterday.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin teaches middle school English. She started in person classes a month or so ago and said overall her kids were really happy to be in the building for class. I wonder how this all is going to change our schools long term.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found out something shocking this morning. Went to add money to my son's lunch balance as it hadn't been used much over the last year and a half. Saw that it was the same amount as when I looked over the summer. Checked his "lunch history" and it was blank. I texted him to ask if he'd been eating lunch. He texted back that lunches were free. :woo: Luckily, there is less than $40 in the account because when I tried to get a "refund" of the money left over in my older son's account when he graduated, I never got a response back and lost all the money because his account was deactivated after graduation. Don't remember how much it was but it was more than $40 for sure. I will assume the $40 in youngest's account will magically disappear too.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was the boys first day. AM bus was 8 minutes late. Hey that’s not bad for the first day. PM bus was a different story. After waiting an hour after my kids were supposed to be home I called the school, no answer I tried the office, attendance and security. I had to look up the transportation dept number as the school had given me the wrong number. The transportation dept was very pleasant and informed me the kids were still in the school after an hour and fifteen minutes. Many parents were calling. I’m upset because the school should have answered the phone or sent out a robocall or left an outgoing message that the kids would be detained in the gymnasium. So or instead of getting home at 3:09 they got home at 4:43.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was the boys first day. AM bus was 8 minutes late. Hey that’s not bad for the first day. PM bus was a different story. After waiting an hour after my kids were supposed to be home I called the school, no answer I tried the office, attendance and security. I had to look up the transportation dept number as the school had given me the wrong number. The transportation dept was very pleasant and informed me the kids were still in the school after an hour and fifteen minutes. Many parents were calling. I’m upset because the school should have answered the phone or sent out a robocall or left an outgoing message that the kids would be detained in the gymnasium. So or instead of getting home at 3:09 they got home at 4:43.
I would have freaked. I was standing at the bus stop when my youngest was little and the bus drove right past me. I thought maybe they were going to drop off the others and turn around so my son could get off with the door on the correct side. Bus came back and started to drive past me again. I yelled and the bus stopped. I asked where my son was. Driver told me he wasn't on the bus. I went home to call the school but saw a message that the school had called when I was at the bus stop. Son missed the bus and needed to be picked up. :doh:

You should see if your schools participate in this... WheresTheBus™ No more worrying about where the bus is.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin just put her oldest on the bus for kindergarten yesterday. She was a pile of nerves. I hear so many jokes and grumbles about the drop off and pickup lines at schools; but sometimes I see why parents just skip the bus! 😣

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in college atm
We mostly have physical lessons now, 3 days a week. We also have 2 lessons online, but in the afternoon after we already physically went to school. This is a bit of a weird choice I think, it would have been more logical to do one full online day and the rest irl

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This afternoon I got a call from the school district stating due to the national bus driver shortage my children need to be picked up from school. If I was unable they would sent a bus 2 hours after school dismissal to bring remaining children home and it may be a 2 hour bus ride. So my kids get done at 3 pm but if I couldn’t pick them up they would get home between 5 and 7 pm. I went and picked my kids up early at 2:30 because my youngest has a family friend as his teacher and she recommended it.