How is your school operating in the Fall?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Master's program has always been a hybrid program with 3 in-person class sessions for each class. Since March, all of the classes have been completely online. The class I'm taking now though is online, but the 3 in-person class sessions are now just held live during the same time. I actually like it a lot better because I'm less likely to fall asleep. I'm able to move around when I need to and I also don't have to be at school until 10pm and get home even later.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm supervising my friend's kindergartner for online learning. It's been 3ish weeks now, and the routine is more settled, but I can tell the teacher isn't getting near as much done as if the kids were there with her. We did an activity today that would have been good on a large smartboard, but was harder to see on the smaller iPad. But I know the teacher is doing her best in these circumstances.

I know the school I was teaching at is having the teachers do noth online and in person, and last I heard, most were not thrilled with the extra workload and no extra compensation. They're still open as of now, though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My co-worker's 3rd-grader got sent home because his teacher tested positive. They didn't send the kids home because they were exposed, but because they didn't have a sub for the classroom. So that's not great.

There's also a high school in the area who's going online-only for the next 2 weeks because they're fresh out of teachers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got an email about ordering youngest's yearbook. Debating whether or not I want to spend the $85 on a yearbook for a school year that may or may not happen like normal. If most of the year is online, what would be the point of a yearbook?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The neighboring County to us was having log in issues the first few days. County near where I work also had issues as well as a faulty help line where parents would call and then get hung up on. My oldest is a Sophomore in college and absolutely hates online learning. He said he would rather be face to face with the professor. He also said that only half the class will log on and do the work. I asked the youngest how things were going with him. He said it's better than last quarter but he also wishes he was in school. I am really hoping since Gov Hogan said schools can reopen, they will before too long.
I hope they can manage it. Apparently after I posted my godsons older sister had a meltdown of her own.
I'm supervising my friend's kindergartner for online learning. It's been 3ish weeks now, and the routine is more settled, but I can tell the teacher isn't getting near as much done as if the kids were there with her. We did an activity today that would have been good on a large smartboard, but was harder to see on the smaller iPad. But I know the teacher is doing her best in these circumstances.

I know the school I was teaching at is having the teachers do noth online and in person, and last I heard, most were not thrilled with the extra workload and no extra compensation. They're still open as of now, though.
My dad just told me hes going to be helping my cousins kindergartener with his online schooling some days. I’d never have thought I’d see the day dad was doing that! But we are out of other available adults to help. My aunt is bouncing between my cousins to help with their kids. I don’t live nearby or he’d probably be schooling with me. Not that I need another kid to teach; but I’m here and have taught kindy twice I guess. 🤪

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parents of Pre-K through 2nd Grade got a survey asking them if they prefer virtual learning or in person learning. Those who choose in person will have the opportunity for a hybrid schedule.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interim Report Cards come out tomorrow and my youngest son's Physics teacher hasn't graded half of the assignments. :frustrated: He/She hasn't done it for any of the students. Son isn't doing so well on tests so those assignments that aren't graded could really help with his overall grade in the class more than likely. He is getting A's in all of his other classes. But I guess if that is my only complaint with virtual learning, I count myself lucky.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposedly the High School will do hybrid learning starting in February. We shall see. I know my kid wants to get back in school.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interim reports are starting to come out here and it's not looking good for some districts. My BFF said her senior is failing a few classes so she's trying to figure out whats going on. Another friend shared something from her school district's meeting the other day and it showed 50% of the kids in the district are failing. I know they have a lot of low-income kids in that district; but they aren't rural. Some districts in my state still don't have reliable internet in the rural areas. It's better than it was and that's a campaign point for a number of representatives this year. But yikes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It isn't just reliable internet. There are other factors affecting kids from disadvantaged homes not doing well with online at home vs person to person education. The same thing is happening here in Ohio, kids from disadvantaged homes are struggling. They have situations at home that are often different from kids who aren't from disadvantaged homes. Also often they don't get the 'education is a priority message' at home like kids from homes that aren't disadvantaged especially homes where one or both parents are well educated professionals.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve been hearing reports that kids are being marked absent or getting 0’s for not answering a question; because that’s how the teacher is supposed to know who was there. Some kids are being supervised by older siblings. Some are dealing with internet connection issues. Most districts here assigned chome books so at least every kid should have a device. I know they had programs to make sure kids could get Internet access; but if the signal isn’t good theres not much you can do.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interim Report Cards come out tomorrow and my youngest son's Physics teacher hasn't graded half of the assignments. :frustrated: He/She hasn't done it for any of the students. Son isn't doing so well on tests so those assignments that aren't graded could really help with his overall grade in the class more than likely. He is getting A's in all of his other classes. But I guess if that is my only complaint with virtual learning, I count myself lucky.
Update... looks like the Physics teacher got a lot of flack for not keeping up on grades after Interims. After that, grades have been getting posted in a more timely manner. Report cards come out tomorrow. Son is getting 3 A's and 4 B's. :woohoo:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw a story on the news the other night about how so many kids are falling behind or got failing marks on the First Quarter report cards. Co-worker is dealing with this right now. Kids refuse to do their work and she won't force them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece didn't do her online school so now she has to do Zoom school ALL DAY LONG. I would hate that, but hey, she made her choices.

But I'm sure there are plenty of kids who just aren't doing anything, online or Zoom or otherwise.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece didn't do her online school so now she has to do Zoom school ALL DAY LONG. I would hate that, but hey, she made her choices.

But I'm sure there are plenty of kids who just aren't doing anything, online or Zoom or otherwise.
I am lucky in the fact that mine have done so well this school year. Youngest's school is through Microsoft Teams and that has made all the world of difference for him. He needs structure and a schedule so last year's last quarter where it was "here is your work, do it at your leisure" was horrible for him. Oldest is in college and is doing well too but says he'd prefer "real" school to online school.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am lucky in the fact that mine have done so well this school year. Youngest's school is through Microsoft Teams and that has made all the world of difference for him. He needs structure and a schedule so last year's last quarter where it was "here is your work, do it at your leisure" was horrible for him. Oldest is in college and is doing well too but says he'd prefer "real" school to online school.
I did my ESL endorsement completely online. College is definitely different (especially postgrad when you have another full time job), but I missed the in person component I'd had when I'd done my reading endorsement a few years earlier (these were both pre-covid). Still, a lot easier for college aged students than elementary.

That said, schools seem so unsafe right now and there's no easy answers.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs structure and a schedule so last year's last quarter where it was "here is your work, do it at your leisure" was horrible for him.
Yeah I think that's my niece's problem too. My nephew is doing great with online school but she really needs more structure.

Their school actually IS open; they just chose to stay home because neither of them are on the fun side of the social structure at school.

The local schools are mostly open, with intermittent closings due to lack of teachers or a particularly bad outbreak among students or staff. It all sounds just chaotic but they're doing their best. Right now half the 3rd grade is out because one of the kids (and his entire family) tested positive.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think that's my niece's problem too. My nephew is doing great with online school but she really needs more structure.

Their school actually IS open; they just chose to stay home because neither of them are on the fun side of the social structure at school.

The local schools are mostly open, with intermittent closings due to lack of teachers or a particularly bad outbreak among students or staff. It all sounds just chaotic but they're doing their best. Right now half the 3rd grade is out because one of the kids (and his entire family) tested positive.
They had opened our schools for K-2nd graders and special needs kids. Now only special needs kids are allowed to go. They stopped the K-2nd graders just before Thanksgiving.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got an alert last night that schools are postponing hybrid learning indefinitely. We have been 100% virtual learning since school started in the Fall. They had planned to get some elementary schools open this month and open more and more up after that. High Schools would open in March.

I told my youngest who is a Junior in HS not to expect to be going to school in person this year. With the delay, I doubt by the time they'd get to the high schools that there would be any point to it. Schools end on 6/9 so they probably could have gone for a month or maybe even just a few weeks.

I am so happy my youngest is doing so well with online learning but more importantly he has something exciting going on right now that takes his mind off not being in school. He has his Learner's Permit and has been driving a lot. He is currently taking the classroom portion of Driver's Ed. After comes the behind the wheel portion. Then getting his license and being set free!! I think it is helping his mental health to have things to actually look forward to in his life.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to my youngest, teachers are telling them that school will be virtual all year. Funny how the schools are telling parents there is a chance of reopening and teachers are saying nope! I figured once the reopening was delayed, that was the end anyway.