How is your school operating in the Fall?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious what other schools are doing this Fall in regards to in-person/online schooling. Ours is starting out 100% online but hopes to incorporate some in-school learning for special needs kids. Laptops will be provided to all students. Students must "attend" live classes online at scheduled times and attendance will be taken. School starts at 9am and ends at 3:30pm with breaks throughout the day for lunch and whatnot. There will be classes Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. Wednesday will be "independent learning " day which I take as meaning "catch up" day.

I am really hoping this keeps my 16 year old on track as the 4th quarter last school year was a nightmare. Son was slacking off on several classes and had to do 90% of the work at the last minute just to pass. Other classes (the ones he enjoyed), he kept up on and had no issues. I am not home during the day so there was no way to monitor him. I think the way it's set up now will help my stress level. :lol:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100% online for my two kids (7th grade and 10th grade). Classes for both kids start at 9:15 but we have a shortened school day. I agree, 4th quarter last school year did not work well, and we are all hoping it will be different this school year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100% online for my two kids (7th grade and 10th grade). Classes for both kids start at 9:15 but we have a shortened school day. I agree, 4th quarter last school year did not work well, and we are all hoping it will be different this school year.
My youngest just didn't care and it was so frustrating. Normally he is an A or B student. He wouldn't do his work and was convinced that nobody would fail. I told him to not risk it because he wouldn't want to repeat 10th grade. On the last day to turn in work, he spent the entire day play catch-up in several classes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The town where I work is starting school normally. My co-workers and I discussed it and none of us are optimistic. We give it about 2 weeks before several people test positive and it'll all fall apart. So I sure hope they made a backup plan. Even if they decide to ignore asymptomatic positive test results (which would probably put them at risk of liability lawsuits), it's only a matter of time before some teachers are too sick to go to work and then what are you going to do with that classroom? Anyway it'll probably be a disaster.

One of my co-workers is the high school football coach and he doesn't expect the sports season to last long. He has way fewer kids on the team due to those who chose not to play because of the virus, and so do all the surrounding schools. So it would only take a couple kids getting sick to cancel everything. He gives it 2, maybe 3 games, tops.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The town where I work is starting school normally. My co-workers and I discussed it and none of us are optimistic. We give it about 2 weeks before several people test positive and it'll all fall apart. So I sure hope they made a backup plan. Even if they decide to ignore asymptomatic positive test results (which would probably put them at risk of liability lawsuits), it's only a matter of time before some teachers are too sick to go to work and then what are you going to do with that classroom? Anyway it'll probably be a disaster.

One of my co-workers is the high school football coach and he doesn't expect the sports season to last long. He has way fewer kids on the team due to those who chose not to play because of the virus, and so do all the surrounding schools. So it would only take a couple kids getting sick to cancel everything. He gives it 2, maybe 3 games, tops.
They have canceled all Fall and Spring sports at our schools. Not even going to try it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, South Dakota is. . .a country song come to life, I think is the best description. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure they'd even bother to have schools in the rural areas if not for high school football; it's basically a religion. If they can, I think they'll run the football season even if school gets cancelled. But when even the coach doesn't think it'll last long, he's probably right.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The private school I taught at is doing a five day in person option and a remote option and sounds like they're having the teachers do both, which sounds like a headache.

The high school my niece goes to is all remote and they've pushed most sports, including football, to spring. I think they're still going to do like cross country and maybe golf.

My youngest just didn't care and it was so frustrating. Normally he is an A or B student. He wouldn't do his work and was convinced that nobody would fail. I told him to not risk it because he wouldn't want to repeat 10th grade. On the last day to turn in work, he spent the entire day play catch-up in several classes.
I mean, last year we were basically told we couldn't fail anyone (not that it mattered that much in preschool, but I know some of the older students' teachers were pretty frustrated) because of the whole emergency nature. This year I imagine there will be actual consequences for not doing the work.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I worked as a Special Education teacher but retired a few years ago. I have been subbing in our Special Ed. program but do not plan to return this year. Originally our school district planned on having in-person learning but due to the upward trend of Covid infection rates they have switched to distance learning, i.e. on-line, with the hope of returning to the classroom sometime in October.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are approved for hybrid; but each district is still deciding I think. Many have postponed the start while they finalize plans. Some are starting all online for the first quarter. Then hybrid till midterms. Fall sports are postponed till spring. Others I haven’t heard.

We have homeschooled from the beginning so I am starting us next Monday as usual. I haven’t heard of any co-ops starting to meet yet except one private school that offers dual-enrollment. The library is open but I’m still debating how we will utilize that.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Columbus and the suburb that I live in are starting out 100% online. I don't know about the other suburbs, I am guessing they are doing the same. Columbus had talked about high school being online and parents of younger kids having an online option but then we had a spike here so it is back to all online.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our schools were going to be open for in-person classes. But since our County has increased dramatically in covid cases (partly due to the prison in the county), the Gov has recommended the schools not open at this time and do remote learning. I hope that's what the school districts decide to do.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really wished our schools gave parents the option of in-person vs online. I would have picked in-person in a heartbeat. Youngest did not do well last quarter with 100% online. He needs to be in school and in front of a teacher to succeed. I am hoping the restructuring of how classes are taught in the Fall helps keep him focused and on task. Being left to his own devices did not go well and I would have to lay down the hammer every day when I got home. Not fun for him or me. I was really hoping the schools would opt for some in person learning as they were discussing doing that. At least a couple days in school is better than none.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Youngest did not do well last quarter with 100% online. He needs to be in school and in front of a teacher to succeed.
Would it be possible for you to get a tutor for him? Maybe not every day but one or two days per week so he could ask questions, get help with homework, etc. and the tutor could check if he understands the lesson(s).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any in school (thankfully) but most of my coworkers do. This is what they have to choose from:
School starts 8/24 here.

1597160749250.png

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tutors are good, but for my kids the best motivator seems to be finding them a buddy to work with and study together (over FaceTime, etc...) because what they are really missing is the interaction with other kids at school.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible for you to get a tutor for him? Maybe not every day but one or two days per week so he could ask questions, get help with homework, etc. and the tutor could check if he understands the lesson(s).
That wasn't the issue with him. He could do the work and get good grades. His issue was actually doing the work. He would let assignments slide until the last minute.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That wasn't the issue with him. He could do the work and get good grades. His issue was actually doing the work. He would let assignments slide until the last minute.
Is this your son in high school? I know you want him to be accountable but can you talk to his counselor and ask for their advice so he doesn't fall behind and wait until the last minute. Or else maybe he'll learn his lesson when the work piles up. ;)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this your son in high school? I know you want him to be accountable but can you talk to his counselor and ask for their advice so he doesn't fall behind and wait until the last minute. Or else maybe he'll learn his lesson when the work piles up. ;)
Yes. I have one in High School (Junior) and one in college (Sophomore). The issues from last quarter are all on him. The last day he could turn in work, he literally spent all day playing catch up in certain classes so he'd pass. He literally went from a 30% because he wasn't doing his work to over 90% in a matter of hours because he got caught up. I am hoping since the school is making things more like a regular school day with students being required to be logged on at certain times and taking attendance, we won't have this issue again.

My older son would get up at 7am and would immediately get onto the computer to do his schoolwork. Youngest would wake up after noon and would do an hour or two of schoolwork but never all of it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he isn't being challenged by the work. A lot of people don't realize that it is the smart kids that are at more risk of dropping out for that reason. Are there more challenging advanced type classes that he could be taking?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he isn't being challenged by the work. A lot of people don't realize that it is the smart kids that are at more risk of dropping out for that reason. Are there more challenging advanced type classes that he could be taking?
Most of his classes are "advanced placement" classes so no, not really. He is pretty much taking all advanced classes right now. I do agree that he wasn't being challenged and what learning they provided last quarter didn't help.