How is my cat apparently a Russian Blue?

bishop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So he is my avatar picture and that's what he looks like. Blueish fur, white skin, and green eyes. But neither of his parents were supposedly Russian Blue. So how is he a Russian Blue, which he apparently is. Do you think there are genes somewhere is his ancestry , or that one of his parents was an unknown RB? Thanks.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

So he is my avatar picture and that's what he looks like. Blueish fur, white skin, and green eyes. But neither of his parents were supposedly Russian Blue. So how is he a Russian Blue, which he apparently is. Do you think there are genes somewhere is his ancestry , or that one of his parents was an unknown RB? Thanks.
Yes, it is genes who happened to combine here so beautifully, they did become into almost a look alike to a RB.

And thus, to be a breed, is not what you are look-alike, but what ancestry you do have..

One of the parents being an unkown RB is not entirely impossible, but verry rare (DOES one of them looks like a RB??) .   Also, a mix of RB doesnt need to look like a RB, they often gets black, feks.

You are welcome with more pictures!

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my opinion he might be part RBI think  @MServant  would be able to help you at the most in this case. Could you post any more photos of him?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Very smart looking cat.
    I wouldn't like to claim greater knowledge that stefanZ on breed of cat but thank you for the vote of confidence @GraveKandi and GemsGem!  

@Bishop, I think what stefanZ is trying to say is that your cat is beautiful and looks very like a Russian Blue cat, but without the documented genetic line of the cat it is not possible to say if he is a Russian Blue.   Although possible for one of the parents to have been a pedigree Russian Blue it is extremely unlikely as most entire Russian Blue cats are kept very safely indoors. This is a rare breed of cat and studs and queens are prized animals.   Also, a Russian Blue crossed with another cat could produce young with different colour or patches, or black tips to fur  (the resulting young are less likely to have the solid grey coat than you might expect).

It is possible for cats looking very like Russian Blues to occur without pedigree breeding and I suspect this is heritage of your cat.  His fur does look very dense and fine, and from your pictures I would not be at all surprised if he has the characteristic double coat (barb and under coat both of same length and tending to sit out from the skin rather than lay flat).  He also looks to have a rather nice build to go with his coat although perhaps not quite as long in the limb as Russian Blues tend to be.  I can not see a silver sheen to the fur but that is not to say it is not present.  From the photographs the eyes look to have more of a yellow hue but this may be more due to photograph lighting that their true colour.  Despite these comments he is a gorgeous cat and I would be very happy to see him roaming about in my home.  :-D  

As an alternative description, another member recently taught me that solid grey and mostly grey cats are known as Maltese, a name which I am very taken with!  It seems fitting that all cats who look like Russian Blues but do not have the necessary documented heritage should have a beautiful name to describe them.  (The only reason I have a pedigree cat by the way is because when I was desperately seeking to replace my previous cat there were no little rescue cats or kittens available for me to adopt).

I think what you have here is a stunning example of a Maltese cat. 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I will second that ! I think he makes a beautiful Maltese cat. :D

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, he's blue, but not Russian :D (or probably not; as others have explained, purebred cats are rare and not generally allowed to roam around procreating randomly). There are certain genes for the diluted black (which is what blue is), so if you know what color his parents were I'm sure someone could explain how he got the blue coloring.