How important is meat variety?

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually stick to one meat source a month when making their food. I went from goat, to rabbit, to chicken, and I was thinking of going back to goat again but would it be terrible if they ate chicken again for another 40 days...?

Their meal is completely balanced and they seem to eat whatever I give them so is there a problem?

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it wouldn't be terrible at all. We try to feed a variety of proteins because they each will have slightly different nutrient profile and so theoretically one protein may be a better natural source of a nutrient that another may be a bit lacking in and we always prefer nutrients to be provided in their natural form rather than to come from supplements. But that is all just theoretical. There are many unknowns when it comes to nutrition.  We know beef liver contains more copper than chicken liver and feeding beef liver makes it easier to meet AAFCO copper recommendations but we don't know for sure that feeding chicken liver and no beef liver would really make a significant difference in the long term to the well being of a cat.  

Feeding a rotation of proteins is a good idea in my opinion but I wouldn't stress over sticking slavishly to it if it is difficult or impossible to.

Last edited:

lilymai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds like a silly question, but is it ok to mix meats in one batch, say, mixing rabbit and chicken, or chicken and goat (just examples, not necessarily what I would mix together!) If it's ok to mix is there a limit on how many meat sources you should use in one batch?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've mixed goat and rabbit. You can mix meats as long as you're sure your cats will eat it. Might not want to mix them without letting them try it first. You'll end up with pounds of wasted meat lol. My one cat seems to be my that into chicken so I think I'll be going back to goat this time around. Seems to be a really well rounded and healthy option for them. Also not as expensive as rabbit [emoji]128529[/emoji]

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere to only feed chicken, turkey & rabbit as these would reflex more of the natural diet.  Cats are never out there killing deer or beef.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll mix duck/chicken, duck/beef, turkey/beef, lamb/chicken and so on- I think as long there are not any protein sensitivities and they like it, go at it!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I frequently mix proteins on the same day. If I am feeding a very low fat protein (rabbit, chicken breast) then I also mix it with a relatively high fat protein like lamb.
I read somewhere to only feed chicken, turkey & rabbit as these would reflex more of the natural diet.  Cats are never out there killing deer or beef.
I've read that too, and I don't have the scientific rebuff but the way I reason it is, I have to be practical and cost conscious. Turkey is rarely on sale where I live (50% off due to the meat being at or near its 'sell by' date) and rabbit is always expensive where I live. OTOH, while I could feed mice (and have learned the hard way that Hercules hasn't lost his hunting instinct!), that is a little over my comfort level at this time.
That said, neither Ritz nor Hercules have shown any food sensitivities.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I frequently mix proteins on the same day. If I am feeding a very low fat protein (rabbit, chicken breast) then I also mix it with a relatively high fat protein like lamb.
I've read that too, and I don't have the scientific rebuff but the way I reason it is, I have to be practical and cost conscious. Turkey is rarely on sale where I live (50% off due to the meat being at or near its 'sell by' date) and rabbit is always expensive where I live. OTOH, while I could feed mice (and have learned the hard way that Hercules hasn't lost his hunting instinct!), that is a little over my comfort level at this time.
That said, neither Ritz nor Hercules have shown any food sensitivities.
Catinfo.org says that any quality wet food is better than the best dry.  I would work within your budget & do the best you can.  I only have one cat & no family to worry about so I can spend a little more than most.  Mice would be great but not very practically for me. Plus, we have the stupid leash laws.   I will go to my grave regretting that I did not let my precious kitty eat his mice his last summer.  He had been declawed as a baby but still a great hunter.  Worried about worms/poison.  IBD; mice would have felt better.  Mice are the most natural food & I would think a little worming now & then would solve the problem if you don't have people dumping poisons all over.  Chicken, turkey & rabbit are not natural foods anyway & in that they are domesticated the food is not the same as wild.  Finally to answer your question I don't think changing back & forth would matter as long as they are eating mostly raw.   Curious, why low protein?  I thought 70 % protein & 30% fat was supposed to be the best.

I would not recommend them bringing those mice into the house!  LOL  I have seen barn cats down the whole mice; head to tail with no mess, however. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm shooting for an average of 30% fat; but Ritz needs to watch her girlish figure :)

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Truth is there is no proof that a variety in protein sources is vital/important to our pets... It's a rule we go by because it's logical. Personally since I prepare grinded it's easy to give a lot of variety. I do chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, salmon. But I believe 3 protein sources is considered enough, a lot of people just do 2.

Balancing the meat, bones and organs ratio is MUCH more important than the variety of meat in my opinion. 

Last edited: