How Important Are Eggs Yolks?

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that they're very nutritious, but how necessary are they? I know Dr. Pierson on catinfo.com doesn't really add them to her food, but I'm not following her recipe. Asking because I use Alnutrin, which includes egg yolk powder, and I've never added raw eggs yolks. But the raw food from Hare Today that I feed my cats doesn't contain any kidney, which I heard egg yolk somewhat substitutes in its absence (please correct me if I'm wrong).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you're using Alnutrin and follow their recipe, if it doesn't call for egg yolks you should be fine. I used to use Alnutrin and Hare Today meats, but it was years ago so I don't remember their recipe, sorry. But I do know we had a poster recently whose cat is allergic to eggs, so she obviously doesn't use eggs OR use any premises with egg in them and her cat is doing ok Hope this helps

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HT doesn't contain kidney but it does have liver. We talked about this. It's fine. As long as you have enough liver.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Egg yolk just adds extra nutrients and helps with hairballs.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Wiki...

Yolks hold more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamine, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, and pantothenic acid of the egg. In addition, yolks cover all of the fat-soluble vitamins: A, D, E, and K in the egg, as well as all of the essential fatty acids.

Phosphorus: 56% 390 mg
Cholesterol: 1085 mg
Calcium: 13% 129 mg
Vitamin D: 36% 218 IU

The whites are good for simple protein. They also contain avidin, which encourages histamine production. Vitamin B helps regulate histamine. Yolks are full of vitamin B, so they essentially balance the avidin in the whites. If the whites are fed alone, there could be an overproduction of histamine, which could be bad for the heart. This is why most folks cook the whites, to destroy the avidin if they are being fed without yolks. Honesly, I feed both yolk and whites, but still cook the whites just to be on the safer side.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I eat a lot of cooked eggs as a protein source (I am vegetarian.) Ritz loves loves cooked egg yolk (pictured); Dahalia will sometimes eat them if I disguise the taste with (homemade) bone broth. If the product doesn't call for egg yolks, then I wouldn't add them. They *are* calorically dense.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Would it be ok to give spooky egg yoke substitute So I don't have to separate the egg whites