How i avoid my cats waking me up for their wet food.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a microchip pet feeder, it doesnt keep the food cold (so maybe not good for raw?), but it will keep regular or cooked wet food fresh for 24 hours. My mom bought them for us, each one cost $150.  I saw the difference of setting out their food, with and without the machine. the food still looks good the next day, since the lid seals in the food. the machine only responds to the cat that is programmed.

the reason im making this post is for anyone that cant sleep with their cat waking them up. We had to buy them, because the cats would wake my mom up at 4-5am. My mom would risk her health to get up and feed them, she didnt want to sleep with her door closed. I was willing to get up, but needed my sleep, since i was her carer.

This feeder kept my sanity intact while caring for my mom. I didnt need to worry about the cats, just put in wet food for 24 hours and im done. They didnt bother my mom the entire night, even though her door was open. My sister in law could feed them when i was in the hospital with mom.

You can find it on amazon called Surefeed Microchip pet feeder.

Hope this helps someone needing sleep. lol

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for writing about this.  So many people have problems with cats waking them up for food at night.  In addition to making suffers feel terrible, sleep deprivation can be deadly.  I'm glad these devices helped your Mom get her sleep. 

The price does seem rather steep but if it means nights of uninterrupted sleep, it sounds like it's worth the money.  Cats benefit as well because sleepy people are not throwing slippers at them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for writing about this.  So many people have problems with cats waking them up for food at night.  In addition to making suffers feel terrible, sleep deprivation can be deadly.  I'm glad these devices helped your Mom get her sleep. 

The price does seem rather steep but if it means nights of uninterrupted sleep, it sounds like it's worth the money.  Cats benefit as well because sleepy people are not throwing slippers at them.
lol my mom would throw socks and they didnt care. 

it sucks that they make all these pet products so pricey. 

i hope this helps, ive seen posts in the past of people not being able to sleep. lol

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not be able to afford this but boy do I need some sleep right now. Peaches starts crying in the middle of the night and does not stop until I get out of bed. I only got 4 hours sleep last night and the night before she only let me sleep 5 hours.

I'm so tired, I can't think straight.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

I would not be able to afford this but boy do I need some sleep right now. Peaches starts crying in the middle of the night and does not stop until I get out of bed. I only got 4 hours sleep last night and the night before she only let me sleep 5 hours.

I'm so tired, I can't think straight.
 I have been where you are.  My old boy Wesley used to have what I called "The Black Claw of Death"  He would start off patting me on the head, then one claw would come out and dig in deeper and deeper into my head until I got up, almost weeping with frustration and longing for sleep.   This was before I knew what to do.  Here's an article that should give you some ideas to get Peaches to change her ways.

[article="33461"]How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night​[/article]  

Good luck.  It's very important that you get your sleep.  I know all too well what it is like to stumble through life like a zombie! 

kirochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!!! This wee mongrel GOT MY BEDROOM DOOR OPEN YESTERDAY!!! Obviously, the placement of the old piano bench helped, but I have NO IDEA how he got the handle to open the door. Maybe he's grown opposable thumbs when I wasn't looking? Last night I had a major case of amnesia and decided, Eh, how bad can it be? and left the door open. Katniss was fine - she'd sleep and leave me alone, I'm sure. This marauder, Joakim, tortured me all night with claws to the face and head. I don't have kids, but I imagine my forgetting why I have to keep the door closed must be what it's like to forget the pain of childbirth.

And the piano bench is getting moved.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joakim is a smart one!  I had a cat who could open round door knobs like that.  He pushed up on the left side of the knob while pulling down on the right side of the knob until he got it to click.  He could only open doors from one side, where his weight pushed the door open into the room.

You could add a little hook and eye latch up higher.

kirochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Turns out, Joakim isn't quite so smart, and Karen isn't either! The door latch doesn't catch, so all he had to do was lean against it.
 The lock doesn't work either, so last night I piled a few boxes against it. So far so good...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Turns out, Joakim isn't quite so smart, and Karen isn't either! The door latch doesn't catch, so all he had to do was lean against it.
 The lock doesn't work either, so last night I piled a few boxes against it. So far so good...