How High Can Your Cat Jump?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I know it varies a little bit from cat to cat, so I'll be really curious to see how high TCS cats can jump. Charlie can jump from the ground to a perch that's about 6 feet high.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Playing with the laser toy Luna has jumped up straight up the wall about 7 or 8 feer maybe
Athletic kitty! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see pictures or videos if you have any!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White Tip - my top jumper - can reach the top of a bookcase which I just measured at 70 inches - just shy of six feet. The rule of thumb is six times a cat's body length from nose to the base of the tail, which means that Bob could ostensibly attain a vertical leap of roughly twelve and a half feet, however, at almost 35 pounds, I believe he'd require either a hot air balloon or a medium sized skyrocket as a booster. He doesn't even jump to the counter in a single bound, but instead, uses a chair as an interim step, though to be fair, his speed from the sofa to the food bowl is probably the equal of any Cheetah.

;)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
White Tip - my top jumper - can reach the top of a bookcase which I just measured at 70 inches - just shy of six feet. The rule of thumb is six times a cat's body length from nose to the base of the tail, which means that Bob could ostensibly attain a vertical leap of roughly twelve and a half feet, however, at almost 35 pounds, I believe he'd require either a hot air balloon or a medium sized skyrocket as a booster. He doesn't even jump to the counter in a single bound, but instead, uses a chair as an interim step, though to be fair, his speed from the sofa to the food bowl is probably the equal of any Cheetah.

;)
I'll have to measure Charlie, to figure out his theoretical jump height (if he can stay still long enough). I'm curious! :agree:

That would be amazing if Bob could jump that 12.5 feet, though. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPER BOB!!!! :hyper:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Bengal Makena can do 10 feet straight up. I know this because he saw a bird on a rafter in our barn and went for it. I measured it later. He then let out some very worried sounding yowls when he realized how far back DOWN he had to go. With a little coaxing he found he could jump onto a shelf along the wall, then down to the floor.

I find it more amazing how far he can jump horizontally: about 12 feet from standing still, quite a bit further if he has a running start.

This was taken during a jump of around 10 feet across a steam landing on a rock about 4 feet higher than his starting point..

This was about 6 or 7 feet across..

Seems like he is more hesitant to go up than horizontal. I think he is cautious about being able to clearly see what he is landing on: tough to visualize the landing zone when it is above.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow.......amazing!

Greg and arnold
20170702_084845.jpg
arent really jumpers.

If they want something out of their reach, they just command me to get it for them.

Arnold did manage to jump on to of our new dressers the other day, about 48 inches high. Fairly impresive when I realize he had to throw his 22 lbs 4 feet straight up.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Our Bengal Makena can do 10 feet straight up. I know this because he saw a bird on a rafter in our barn and went for it. I measured it later. He then let out some very worried sounding yowls when he realized how far back DOWN he had to go. With a little coaxing he found he could jump onto a shelf along the wall, then down to the floor.

I find it more amazing how far he can jump horizontally: about 12 feet from standing still, quite a bit further if he has a running start.

This was taken during a jump of around 10 feet across a steam landing on a rock about 4 feet higher than his starting point..

This was about 6 or 7 feet across..

Seems like he is more hesitant to go up than horizontal. I think he is cautious about being able to clearly see what he is landing on: tough to visualize the landing zone when it is above.
That's impressive! Beautiful pictures, too.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nightfury can easily jump about 5'5" without a problem. His favorite way to escape Rocket and Link is jumping on the washing machine or a dresser both of which are about that height. I've also caught him on top of a shelf another 5' above the washer. All of those have no ledges or grip so its a straight jump. He looks like it is no challenge. He also has jump from ground to someones shoulder with no struggle. Always fun when he random jumps up and you weren't expecting it. He probably could do 8 or 9 feet if he wanted.

I am not sure about Rocket. She doesn't go on much. Ditto for Link. Both can jump on tables or counters. Rocket is very graceful outside and frequently chases squirrels in trees with ease. So I would guess she can jump well but she is very short and stubby so I wouldn't think he max height would be more than 6 feet.

Link prefers jumping from a chair to a counter. He notoriously has missed my Dads lap on several occassions either by going completely over or into his leg. Link is also really funny to watch climbing trees because he runs at them and leaps... only to end up a foot off the ground and do a shimmy up. He isn't nearly as surefooted or graceful as Rocket or Nightfury. If anything he is better after he broke his leg than before too. He probably tops out at a 4 foot jump if we were talking ground to top without anything to grip.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gibs is gaining some grace as he ages, but, it's still more sheer hard headed determination, with no regard for well being. (means he's a klutz).
A free standing 8ft, 10ft, 12ft jump? He's pure muscle and I would think that would be no problem for him. However, I've never seen him do it.
He has hit the ceiling a few times, but, in all fairness....he's using the arm of the couch.
To "me", the interesting thing here is not the height....It's the direction change.
He sits facing the sofa, I'm 10ft away. Quite often he lands on me. He will play this game until he can barely walk. LOL

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a little fuzzy black girl (looks about 10lbs but has never weighed more than 7lbs). When she was young, we would often find her perched on the top edge of the shower door. It's just a piece of glass and the top edge is 7ft from the floor. The only way up there way up there is a free standing jump.
The landing would have to be more impressive than the jump.
Everything she does is crazy graceful though.