How: Healthy Immune System

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My kitten will turn 1 in June. I want to start building up his immune system to make sure he has a strong and healthy immune system but I'm not sure what i can do. What tips do you have! Thanks :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is he immune compromised (for example, feline herpes)? Does he go outside? Are you in a household with multiple cats? Tbh, if none of that applies, I am not sure why you feel the need to boost his immune system at this point. I took on two strays - at different times - both at 6 months old. Long time ago, I will admit, but I had them tested for diseases, and then receive vaccinations - as well as some follow up boosters, but never worried about deliberately giving them immune system boosters, since there didn't seem to be any reason to do so. They were, however, indoor only cats and there were no other cats in the household.

I am sure some members will come along and offer some ideas for you, but unless he is already immune compromised, I am just curious why you think he needs it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Is he immune compromised (for example, feline herpes)? Does he go outside? Are you in a household with multiple cats? Tbh, if none of that applies, I am not sure why you feel the need to boost his immune system at this point. I took on two strays - at different times - both at 6 months old. Long time ago, I will admit, but I had them tested for diseases, and then receive vaccinations - as well as some follow up boosters, but never worried about deliberately giving them immune system boosters, since there didn't seem to be any reason to do so. They were, however, indoor only cats and there were no other cats in the household.

I am sure some members will come along and offer some ideas for you, but unless he is already immune compromised, I am just curious why you think he needs it.

Thanks this was informative! My kitten is healthy. A friend of mine said her cat was often ill because he had a low immune system. I've never had a cat until now so I thought I should do something to boost it lol.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just give them quality food and water and a low-stress environment with lots of playtime. Unless your cat has a medical condition there’s nothing you need to do to “boost” their immune system and mostly likely there’s not much you actually can do. Their bodies know what they’re doing much like ours do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding a quality diet is key. We also give our kitties a supplement called Missing Link and a probiotic daily.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boosting immune systems is mostly woo, in any species. As long as your cat does not have any conditions that affect their immune system, all a healthy cat needs to stay in the best health possible is a good diet (cat food should be mostly meat, so meat should be the first ingredient, some are basically meat flavoured cereal), clean fresh water, regular vet care and exercise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boosting immune systems is mostly woo, in any species. As long as your cat does not have any conditions that affect their immune system, all a healthy cat needs to stay in the best health possible is a good diet (cat food should be mostly meat, so meat should be the first ingredient, some are basically meat flavoured cereal), clean fresh water, regular vet care and exercise.
Thanks!