How far along is my cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s also been meowing more than usual this morning and scratching her mat a lot and licking around her genitals a lot more than usual - are these all normal signs?

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to worry! She has been out now which likely means she has gone to the toilet and done her business - will let you know if the kittens arrive soon.

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they usually sleep less before giving birth? Ziggy here usually sleeps most of the day but she seems to be awake a lot of it now, walking around, cleaning and just laying

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not let her outside. Can you set up a litter box for her inside? After the kittens are born she may disappear for days when she goes into heat again, leaving her young kittens helpless.

Everything sounds normal so far!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She only goes in the garden to go to the toilet so she’s not wondering it’s no worry! When babies are here we will put the litter tray in but unfortunately as she isn’t my cat I can’t trap her in and being trapped in tends to stress her out so I have to let her in the garden so it’s fine. She’s back to sleeping so maybe she isn’t going into labour?

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Evening all, no kittens yet. I’ve been away for a couple of days so glad that hasn’t happened. Since being back today she seems pretty normal eating a little and sleeping lots, particularly on her side and back with her legs spread. I do notice however that she has been licking herself more than usual, particularly around her belly and genitals and her nipples are really becoming prominent and sticking out (no milk that I can see). Any thoughts?

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Apologies - first time, just want to make sure I’m prepared! She seems to be scratching a lot on my rug and her scratch post, is that usual behaviour or a sign of anything?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! Apologies - first time, just want to make sure I’m prepared! She seems to be scratching a lot on my rug and her scratch post, is that usual behaviour or a sign of anything?
She scratches more than her usual? Scratching by itself has no connection with being high preg or anything.... she perhaps wants to relieve her tensions...

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No kittens yet by the way - I actually think by my research she is only around 5 weeks pregnant so maybe she was just settling in. I will post when she has them!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just saw a little jab out her side that I believe was a kitten kicking so maybe we’re a couple weeks away!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wondering if anyone can help - so she is literally due any day now by my calculations but can’t see any signs of her going into labour yet. I can’t post the video but she’s been twitching down in her abdomen. It looks and feels like a heartbeat if that helps anyway - not sure if it’s a kitten but it’s very consistent and not how they usually move. She’s been eating lots more today than usual I’d say and is very sleepy, had slept all day. Any idea what the pulsing is or how close she may be? She’s sleeping through the pulsing which makes me feel like it’s nothing big. Also as this is her 6th pregnancy (she’s not my cat, she’s neglected by our neighbours so we have taken her in and planning to get her done after this before anyone says anything) could she carry longer or sleep through some of it. Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it may be early stage one labor, and yes, cats can sleep through this part until contractions get bigger and stronger.

Poor thing on her 6th pregnancy and shame on the neighbors who let her go. Thank YOU for taking her in and planning a spay after this litter weans.

Do keep us posted!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it breaks my heart - decided enough is enough and I will be looking after her from now. Praying I can get her done afterwards! She’s been extremely hungry but not eating her dinner now so maybe it is the start! Thanks for your help - will keep you posted!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 weeks since I first saw the kittens move and today she has been running around the house crying out, very restless. She also keeps going to the litter box, meowing while in there but not doing anything and jumping out. I’ve heard this is a common sign of pre-labour. Any idea why they do this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s hormonal. It sounds as though her body is either in early labor or getting ready to go into labor. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling, so she is simply expressing it through restlessness and crying.

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh yes that is what I thought - she’s quiet today and very tired. Her stomach looks like it’s almost gone away! She hardly looks pregnant anymore which is odd.

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and here they are!
Seems as thought she only had 3 tucked away although she was very big. It’s been about 3 hours since the last was born and she’s now snoring away so I think she’s done!
Thanks for all your help everyone!
0F3BBAC3-C53D-4A9C-B77E-8C2D7464DED5.jpeg

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again,
Kittens are doing really well and mum is doing amazing. However, she has laid in her litter box a few times today. Only for about 30 seconds but does anyone know why she’s doing this?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi again,
Kittens are doing really well and mum is doing amazing. However, she has laid in her litter box a few times today. Only for about 30 seconds but does anyone know why she’s doing this?
It may be a number of reasons.... One of them, is cats do it quite often. At least, if the litter if fresh and clean...
For example, cats on exhibitions very often rests in their little moveable litter box...

It seems to be comfortable.