How far along is my cat?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't look that far along, I would say she has at least a month left. Of course, it depends on how many kittens she is having too. If she is only carrying a couple, she could be further along. Bless you for helping her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought that too although she seems to be a bit restless the past couple of days, becoming quite vocal and can’t seem to stay still - she would usually sleep in the back of our cupboard for hours and now she doesn’t last long before she’s on the bed and then on the floor and just wandering around. Can’t take her to the vet either as she’s not my cat! Thank you though

She’s also grooming herself a lot more, especially around her nipples, vagina and back legs

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once you see and feel kitten movement there’s generally about 2 weeks left. Have you seen movement yet?

Please have a vet number handy in case she gets in trouble during delivery and needs help.

Thanks for caring for her!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes I do have a vet number on hand just in case.
I think I felt them a few days ago but I can’t be sure, can’t feel much now. Should I be able to feel them constantly?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not necessarily. Towards the very end, as the kittens become larger and more squished, there is less movement. But you can usually see or feel twitches regardless. Hang in there!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s difficult to tell if I’m seeing kittens moving or her breathing as she purrs a lot and her breathing can be quite odd. She’s been acting very strange today - can’t seem to sit still and has been climbing in the strangest places; in my drawer, behind my bed and even on top of the boiler. She’s also eaten a lot less, about 2/3 of a bowl of food all day where she usually eats 2 to 3 whole bowls a day. I suppose I’ll just have to wait and see!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she’s trying out nesting places. Cats like dark, private places to give birth. It would be ideal if you could set up a nesting box in a bedroom closet with the door slightly ajar, and limit her access to places like behind the boiler. You don’t want her moving her kittens all over the house and into places where they cannot be easily accessed by you.

It also sounds like she’s getting close!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah we have set up some blankets and a box in the cupboard that she seems to like sleeping in a lot - how soon before birth do they start this frantic nesting behaviour? I have read online anywhere from 3 weeks before to 24 hours before so want to be prepared!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah we have set up some blankets and a box in the cupboard that she seems to like sleeping in a lot - how soon before birth do they start this frantic nesting behaviour? I have read online anywhere from 3 weeks before to 24 hours before so want to be prepared!
Some deliver even before they take the nest - they dont want to get the nest smelly... But they want to know there IS a nest waiting, to carry the kittens into safety.
Anyways, I get the impression its near now. Her restlessness is prob prelabor contraction Braxton Hicks. So its at most a few days, possibly less. As SArthur said, in the very end kittens arent very movable, and you feel them move further down...
Has she "dropped"? ie suddenly seem less pregnant?? Its in this stage kittens move less... And this happens a day or two before delivery, so its a sure sign if you see it...

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does seem to “look” less pregnant yeah and she just doesn’t seem to be able to sleep for long and just wonders around all night so maybe it’s soon! Thank you, will keep you all updated

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems a bit calmer today so maybe a false alarm - she’s licking her stomach a lot more and her nipples have become much more prominent in the last couple of days and she has hardly eaten today but she’s a lot calmer so maybe another week or 2? Any advice/thoughts feel free to post here, otherwise I’ll update soon!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She seems a bit calmer today so maybe a false alarm - she’s licking her stomach a lot more and her nipples have become much more prominent in the last couple of days and she has hardly eaten today but she’s a lot calmer so maybe another week or 2? Any advice/thoughts feel free to post here, otherwise I’ll update soon!
I think its very near now, days at most... May be just hours...

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that until she keeps throwing me off! She’s very calm, sleeping a fair amount but still not really eaten anything all day - do cats usually sleep until they go into active labour? Is it normal for her to still be this calm even if she is due to give birth in a low as 24 hours?

She also hasn’t been to the toilet all day - is that normal before birth?

Her nipples are also huge and bright red but no milk that I have seen

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milk comes often very late, even after the self delivery... But the wise is prepared, and have some kmr or goats milk at hand, to not be captured unprepared in the middle of the night...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it could be any day now. Be patient and be prepared. Things usually go well. Hang in there!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys, notbing last night but she has woken me up this morning extremely affectionate and won’t leave me alone so maybe soon!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it also normal for her to not be going to the toilet as she nears birth? She hasn’t been outside to go to the toilet in over 24 hours but she did eat about half a bowl of food this morning

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it also normal for her to not be going to the toilet as she nears birth? She hasn’t been outside to go to the toilet in over 24 hours but she did eat about half a bowl of food this morning
Its more common they empty their bowels, even if its some diarrhea...
But no pooping every day happens of course.

No peeing either? THIS would be more alarming.

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hasn’t gone anywhere that im aware of which is also worrying me - she’s licking around her tail and back of her legs quite a lot. Not sure if this is just her getting ready to give birth or if there’s a problem