How does your cat wake you up

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What doesn't she do!

She used to bite my face at 5 am for breakfast. I assume I didn't hear her meows because I'm a heavy sleeper, and she did what needed to be done. I'm still proud that I've (mostly) managed to train her out of that by ignoring her completely. So she usually settles for sitting an inch away from my face and staring at me until I wake up. Some days she feels like being sweet and rubs her head on my face. Some days she feels like being annoying and starts banging the kitchen cabinets. And days when I'm sleeping in, she usually tries a bit of everything.

Our life is a constant battle of wills between her desire for breakfast and my desire to sleep. Both are very strong forces!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maisie lays on me when she wants food in the morning. It's the only time she does. Remy and Flora will also lay on me in the morning but they do that all the time anyway, so it's not always because they want to wake me up.

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Old cat used to gently touch my face with his paw. New cat , the devils spawn, wakes me up at any hour either by pretending to be affectionate, if that don’t work he either digs his claws in my arm or bites me..got a automatic feeder for night time, problem solved lol

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Old cat used to gently touch my face with his paw. New cat , the devils spawn, wakes me up at any hour either by pretending to be affectionate, if that don’t work he either digs his claws in my arm or bites me..got a automatic feeder for night time, problem solved lol
Funny you call your cat that. My husband calls Gracie "yellow eyed devil spawn" because she always up to no good. He also said this is the first cat he's had with yellow eyes. (His parents are huge cat people and will have 6 at a time) I was surprised he/his parents had never had a cat with yellow eyes before.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we first adopted Carleton he didn't make a peep, he would just come in our bedroom, sit and stare at us. Now that he's the prince of the house, he comes in and lets out a huge yowl sound which he proudly repeats if we don't get out of bed. :ohwell:
Same. I still barely comprehend how they produce that amount of decibels lol. Ever since i got myself a cat i always wake up before my actual alarm goes

Kittenkrazed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ember doesn’t really try to wake us up, but Ash will meow at us, sometimes in the middle of the night or around 5-6am, for playtime. It’s never about food, always about play time. She is only 10 months old though, so still very playful all the time. Hopefully being woken up for play time won’t last the rest of her life.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hear LOUD cries at 3 am sometimes 4 am and its not about food water love or anything shes old and deaf and has no idea shes
SCREEEEMING!!! just something she does......also when I would go to bed without her even though shes free to hop in bed she cries loudly in the front room so I will get up and carry her into bed. Then she leaves later and cries again!!!!! arrrrgh
why do I tolerate such abuse?
hey she doesnt bark, need walks, bite people and has outlived most every dog I ever knew! shes 19 in September.
Heres her imitating the elephant. Her eye "freckles" went away now at age 19 shes 17 here
hibounearelephant2012 (2).JPG
an elephant

Last edited:

SheriGoddart24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the summer, my cat does not sleep with me. but when the cold comes she sleeps in my room or even in my bed. In the morning, when the cat wants to eat, she climbs on me and begins to wrinkle the blanket, doing this until I get up.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive has the routine. Phase 1 is use her scratching post. Phase 2 is use the blinds as a scratching post. Phase 3 is to jump on the back of the bed and sit, escalation to trying to commit suicide by jumping between the bed and the wall.

The final escalation is to scramble up the back of the bed with the sound of 100 elephants with claws climbing up a tree. 100% effective.

Gohan bites wires.
39BCBC68-B54D-438F-8420-8C63FE5CD93C.jpeg

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She does not. At my house purposefully waking me is ground for losing bedroom privileges. Willow being a sensitive soul only had to lose them once and never again. She does come up on the bed very quietly and peeks to see if I am awake and then leaves if my eyes aren’t open.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neither Shade or Noka wakes us up. They get the oldest dog to wake us up. Shade will usually wake up Rebel which then he will need to go out to pee. This means Rebel has to come into the bedroom and wake me up to let him out the backdoor. This gives Shade the opening to start asking for food. Noka starts chiming in about cleaning the litter box.

That is my typical morning: Cat wakes dog, dog wakes me, cat gets food and litter box cleaned.

JulieHarr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nubi: he is quiet & won't wake me.
Simon: Days with alarm: He waits till my alarm sounds, then if I don't get up he loudly meows at the door.
Days with no alarm: Around the time the alarm would normally sound, he will start scratching on the door and meowing, loud, very loud.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Olive has the routine. Phase 1 is use her scratching post. Phase 2 is use the blinds as a scratching post. Phase 3 is to jump on the back of the bed and sit, escalation to trying to commit suicide by jumping between the bed and the wall.

The final escalation is to scramble up the back of the bed with the sound of 100 elephants with claws climbing up a tree. 100% effective.

Gohan bites wires. View attachment 346791
Funny, my last cat used to run and jump over my head. You would of swore it was a heard of elephants stampeding across.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally if Boone were to wake me up, it would be from him suckling on my shirt. For some reason, I must have been super tired last night because I woke up with a wet shirt by my shoulder/neck. :oops: Gracie woke me up around midnight wanting affection. She was nudging my hand until I woke up and petted her. Then it wasn't enough so she just kept nudging my hand. I must have fallen back asleep still petting her because I honestly don't remember stopping. That is sort of weird for her to do. Normally I will happen to wake up and she's asleep on my pillow if she comes into the room during the night.