How does your cat "talk" to you?

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Theodore is the first cat I have ever had that talks all the time. Mostly it is trills. He doesn't meow a lot. When he is charged up and I am playing with him with a toy, he trills as he races to catch the toy. If the toy lands on him, Trill! He also coos and makes grunting noises. He always has a smile on my face when he talks. Such a cute little voice. Does your cat mostly meow or trill?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix will do a combination of trilling, intense eye contact, and tapping me on the shoulder when he wants something. If he can't reach my shoulder, he'll just tap wherever he can reach.

Fayola will "chat" my meowing and making chirping noises. It's amazing how they can communicate what they need. It's almost human like in a way.

All this and also facial expressions. Felix's eyes tend to narrow and the skin between his eyes wrinkle when he doesn't want me to bother him. If I still try to play with him or pet him when he's like this, he usually bites me.

I've had him for almost a decade now so I'd say we know each other pretty well where communication isn't mind boggling. Quite easy in fact.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chesterfield is almost silent. He makes a little greeting meow for me once in a while or will make a low-pitched call to find out where I am. Sir Eats-A-Lot meows normally, but makes few other noises. Meep is very vocal, and has a raucous voice. She cries and trills all the time. You hardly can handle her without some kind of verbal protest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I imitate his meow to Fudge, he will meow back at me in return. Toffee does head gestures or paw gestures to converse with us, or just listens really intently to what we're saying.
Theodore will stretch out his paw reaching for me when he wants me to pick him up and hold him.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Diamond doesn't meow so much as he yells. Kinda "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" at a loud volume. And yeah, he definitely wants something. Fed first or through a door.

Seal's meow is a pitifully cute sound. It's usually when he wants something - a treat or through a door.

Leonid hardly makes any noises. When he meows, It's just a little squeak, more like a door hinge that needs to be oiled than a noise a cat would make.

New kitten Boden has a demanding meow. But as he becomes more comfortable in his new home, he meows less and less.

My first Siberian, Boris constantly trilled and chirped. I'm not sure if he ever meowed.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arnold very definitely talks to me.
He also makes eye contact when doing so.
Loud purrs when cuddling.
A " row row" when just walking by me and saying hi
A demanding looooong winded howl when he feels he has waited in inappropriate amount of time for.......anything. ( its a mystery as to how he fills his lungs with so much air to be able howl for so long without taking a breath.
Very forceful head butts when he first jumps on the recliner at night to watch tv with me.

Greg is a triller. He also has a very quiet little kitten meow (strange from such a large cat).

And then of course there is body language and expression.

"What am I thinking now?"
20180804_184503.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue makes lots of weird sounds and chats his head off but the one that gets me is his growling when eating..especially some nice and bloody raw meat
Its...rowwwrowrowrow..swallow...rowrowrowrowrowrow..swallow..etc. And when he has finished walks over to me saying ..meeyap...meeyap..while face rubbing my legs. I am sure he is saying he enjoyed his dinner.

Last edited:

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When she was a baby, she used to scream a lot - especially when she was eating. I think it's because she was a street baby. Nowadays she's very quiet; rarely talks.. UNLESS she's trying to do something she's not supposed to! She whines if you're trying to stop her from doing something bad. Even if you say "hey, spec, stop" she'll go "..Mew...." very softly, otherwise she only begs for her dinner very loudly!