How does your cat let you know they want fed?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight Mouse excelled himself.
    He came up with an entirely new way to tell me he wanted more food and wanted it now - and also how he wanted to be given it.  

Some of you may already know but he has been getting a little tubby of late and has recently been put back on strict rations.  He only gets fed his prescription dental food which comes as large, round kibble / biscuits and for what ever reason he has always preferred to eat 'on the go'  This has resulted in him getting a small amount of his daily ration in his bowl morning and night and the bulk of it from a tin I keep in the sitting room - thrown around the room for him to chase after and hunt to his little heart's content.   Because he is on rations I have been trying to drag out the feeding time with longer gaps between feeding play sessions as well as other games.

Usually if Mouse thinks I am taking too long to throw a biscuit he will sit and stare at me with that 'I haven't been fed for weeks' look in his eyes, lay on his back looking super cute, and eventually when all else fails he will slither up on to the sofa where the biscuit tin is and snatch a biscuit to run off and eat in hiding somewhere.   The look on his face when he comes in for the snatch is hilarious.  

Tonight Mouse decided he had been waiting long enough for his next biscuit chasing session but must have felt in need of more play too.   Instead of his regular snatch and run he slithered up onto the sofa, gripped a biscuit between his teeth, then flicked his head and threw the biscuit hard as he could right at my arm.   Then he jumped off the sofa, ran to the other end of the room and stared at me until I threw the biscuit for him to catch.    

He is such a funny guy, yet uses a wide range of ways to communicate.   He constantly amazes (and entertains) me but tonight he really did 'take the biscuit'.  

What funny ways have other people been told to feed their cats and FEED THEM NOW?   

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Mingo takes the cake. He is full of cupboard love, and I lap it up. I play along for as long as I can get away with it. He crawls up to my shoulder, which he doesn't usually do, purring, and giving me head butts.  I get to stroke him and tell him I love him, and he butts me some more. Eventually, my arm gets tired, and I have to go feed him.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I am usually at my desk working when they decide it has been too long since their last meal.  If I turn around and there are three cats sitting on the floor staring at me, that is the sign.  Since I work from home I feed them 4 times a day, small amounts (3 wet, 1 dry) and I have two snack/medicine sessions, so they rarely get real hungry.  

I used to have an incredibly fussy eater that was hard to put weight on, which Is why I started feeding so often.  He would only eat a little bit of each food, so he got 4 kinds a day (RIP Boris.) 
   The kitties seem to like the frequent feedings and since I am their servant, well, they get what they want.  There is nothing like a happy kitty household. 

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Paul pats my arm, over and over, until I get down to business with the bowls. He used to knead me but for some reason has changed his approach recently.

Chula does the usual thing when she wants something:  she stands up on her back legs and waves her front paws at me.  

Another thing they do sometimes is to sit side by side and stare at me pitifully.  I can feel those stares when I'm in a deep sleep.   Four big sad eyes are pretty much impossible to resist.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's so sweet that Mouse wanted more playtime and more treats.

Button Moon has learnt how to talk. He stands in front of the food cupboard and yells,

"Laura! Now! Now Laura, NOW!"

Hiro helps himself.

He can open the cupboard door. He then climbs on top of the cupboard and leans over to look for what he wants. Then he'll reach in, grab what he wants, flick it to the floor and jump down and claw it open.

He can open plastic packages, foil sachets and Tupperware. He hasn't learnt how to open cans yet, but I fear it's only a matter of time.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Casper is the King of the stare down. Very polite.Patient.  Very quiet but bores his eyes into mine like a laser beam.

See?  He's the Hypnotoad of cats (old meme reference).

Cocoa is much more animated.  Her "I'm hungry" belly flops are pretty awesome and persuasive 
  Don't have a photo of it because she blends into the flooring too well and it's hard to get one properly lit LOL

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we first adopted Carleton he barely used his voice but now that he's been with us a year he's found it big time, lol.  When he knows it's mealtime he follows me around making sounds like a lamb or goat.  If I'm sitting on the sofa he climbs on the arm and uses his paw to bop me on the head.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW

They have figured out how to feed themselves now though, this week they have chewed through four pouches of wet cat food, and a large bag of dry food. I have started keeping the cat food in the cupboard, instead of in boxes on top.

kutoja1987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I'm sitting at my desk around dinnertime, Sammy will stand up on her hind legs and give my upper arm a polite tap followed by an expectant look. In the morning, she takes great delight in plopping herself down on my side to annoy me into feeding her.

Silky will sometimes wake me up by stroking my face with just enough of one claw that I can feel it scraping my cheek. He'll also persist in jumping on my lap, if Sammy hasn't bugged me first, in the evening (and WILL NOT take "Shoo!" for an answer).

Suzie will either trip me up, meow loudly, or take out her frustrations on Silky (the grumpy old baggage!
).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh what fun we all have.  
   These cats are far too smart I fear, and far too entertaining.  Us humans have no chance in resisting their 'charms'.  

@Norachan  That is amazing mastery of human langauge there from Button Moon - and I can totally imagine how that cat-voice sounds while calling your name too.  
   Does he double as a hypnotist?  For some reason I imagine him calling out in a sort of hypnotic rhythm - persistently for as long as it takes for you to obey.    

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy January will meow when it's time to eat or when he's hungry or whichever comes first :lol3:

He'll meow and meow even if I'm asleep. So whenever he meows, I'll ask him - ' January, are you hungry? In response he'll meow. Then I'll ask - do you want 'mom mom?', in one of our local dialects meaning do you want to eat? And he'll response by meowing. Ask him these two questions over again, he'll meow and meow. So I'll say, let's go 'mom mom', and he'll trail behind me meowing in his shaky voice as he runs :lol3: sometimes he seems that he has forgotten the time to eat he's in the room and so I'll just say aloud from outside and say, January, are you hungry? He'll come running out meowing all the way and sometimes his meow lasts for quite a number of steps :lol3:
And he has one command for me, that is he wants food and he wants it NOW! His meow is not the long melodious meow but an abrupt MEOWED! Meaning, immediately now!
:lol3:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
haha! love these stories!!

If I am at home, watching tv or whatever, Monet would first stare, then he'd start pacing and finding ways to try to grab my attention with things he knows he shouldn't do (playing with the blind cords, picking at my rug for some examples). If I ignore him, he'll start to meow and jump on me. Not jump in lap for attention, but a full HARD leap on me and right off, using me as a spring board. He'll continue to do this until I finally get up.

Cassie doesn't beg or anything for food, but once Monet starts jumping on me, she'll start meowing and spin in circles like a dog.

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At 6pm it is Good Food time. This is can food + sometimes mixed with greens. If I pass the time up Tiger meows like he is king of the jungle. He will not shut up until I put the bowl in front of him. Cally meows softly and tries to charm me with all her purring and rubbing. I enjoy Good Food time as much as the do. They put on a great show + I love them.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok got one of Cocoabean feigning starvation this morning, in full flop, right about at the threshold of the kitchen entry.

She rolled over, I gave her belly pets (which she loves) but no more food LOL  Breakfast was over, kitchen closed for business!

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello again. I told you about Good Food time. Breakfast is Crunchy Food time. At that point about 6am I get walked on, meows, + even friendly love bites. Wake up momma time for our food.Then right about 10pm they stare me down. That is Good Kitty Treat Time.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the morning, Leroy starts whining and walking all over me. For dinner, it's Leroy again whining and getting underfoot
Emma is perfectly happy to wait quietly until she gets a bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

In the morning, Leroy starts whining and walking all over me. For dinner, it's Leroy again whining and getting underfoot
Emma is perfectly happy to wait quietly until she gets a bowl.
  That will be because she's reminded Leroy somehow that he must be starving (so he does all the hard work).  
   It's a bit high risk trying to trip up a human though, I mean how long would they have to wait for food if you ened up going to ER with a broken leg? 

You can't help love cats when they come up with so many charming (and not so charming) ploys to get their humans' attention and then spell out what they want.  Awesome creatures, every single cat.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me so much of my beloved Rani, who would start haranguing me about an hour before bedtime and would not stop until she walked me out to the breakfast room for her treats!  Sometimes she would climb the 7' cat pipe across from the bed and launch herself onto the bed.  THAT really let me know she was getting impatient!