How Does This Kitten Stack Up In Quality

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So ive been looking for a show quality kitten cause id like to start showing.

This is one of the kittens im looking at. I havent seen him in person, but the breeder sent me a few videos. (Hes a munchkin and the breeder says hes 4 months old).

Im new to showing, so i dont know a lot about the munchkin standard, and i thought id post her. His father is a champion apparently, and the breeder shows her cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
awww, I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen any munchkins except for the one sweetie years ago I met in a shelter I was volunteering at. I don't know too much about standards although I did happen to see one mention that the hind end is supposed to be taller than the front. In his case, is that exaggerated, and his back seems very long, but again maybe that's correct rather than an issue? I'm not sure. You might google/research breed standards and see what they say and also try and find photos of other champion winners. In any case what a lively, darling furbaby! For showing or not, I'm not sure I could resist :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
awww, I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen any munchkins except for the one sweetie years ago I met in a shelter I was volunteering at. I don't know too much about standards although I did happen to see one mention that the hind end is supposed to be taller than the front. In his case, is that exaggerated, and his back seems very long, but again maybe that's correct rather than an issue? I'm not sure. You might google/research breed standards and see what they say and also try and find photos of other champion winners. In any case what a lively, darling furbaby! For showing or not, I'm not sure I could resist :)
I noticed the long hind legs too. They almost look like a bunny’s hind legs.

Ive tried looking up pictures, but this is one of the more uncommon breeds, so there arent that many pictures and videos of champion cats. Even ticas own website only has head shots :/

Another thing i noticed was his back- his spine kind of sinks in a bit behind the head (in the video where he walks around). Ive been worried about spinal lordosis ever since i heard about it.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ceracera Ceracera - Please don't jump in until you know everything that you can learn about the breed. There's a very good reason why the CFA refuses to recognise Munchkins, and why some long-time TICA judges have resigned over the breed.

Responsible, ethical breeding should take into consideration the cats' health and welfare first and foremost - it shouldn't revolve around making money by perpetuating genetic deformities which can place the whole of a breed at risk.

Edit: Even if you don't read any of the current scientific research papers, please read these two very brief articles:

Munchkin Cat Trend: Is Breeding Deformity Animal Abuse? - CatTime

People Are Breeding Cats To Have Too-Short Legs

Last edited:

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive researched the breed before deciding to show.

Its just my opinion, but most purebreds have genetic problems, so it all depends on finding a good breeder. If the breeder isnt responsible, then it doesnt really matter if the cat is a munchkin or ragdoll or whatever; its going to have problems.

Sometimes i feel as if breeds like munchkins and scottish folds are targeted because bone problems are often visible on the outside. But hcm and ckd can be just as lethal.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Ceracera Ceracera I'm not seeing your videos, just error messages. Does anyone else see them? Trying to figure out if it's an issue with the site or with my computer.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, i deleted the videos cause i met him already. I went to see him the other day and i didnt feel he would be a good show quality cat. This was just based on looking at pictures and what i read from ticas breed standard.

The breeder said he wont be a champion, but hes good enough to show.

So im still thinking about it.

Plus i live in beijing, and i see tica just cancelled the april show in beijing. The next one is in november.