How does the vet get a urine sample?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gang are all young and the vet has never had to take a urine sample. The day will come I'm sure when it will be needed. How do they get a sample????

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

My gang are all young and the vet has never had to take a urine sample. The day will come I'm sure when it will be needed. How do they get a sample????
Your vet is not likely to try and get the urine sample unless the cat is sick, because for a sterile sample, vets get it with a needle.
It's not easy. When my cat had cystitis vets never managed to get a sterile sample.
They had to analyze whatever cat peed on the table.

areias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For female cats, usually a needle into the bladder. For males cats, we have..er..put a tube up the penis and gotten urine that way.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet I went to once just pressed on the cats bladder and held a cup behind the cat to catch the urine. I think she just happened to have a full bladder though. But otherwise they do a Cystocentesis (a needle in the bladder to remove urine).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the needle in the bladder painful???

Coco is so terrified of the trip to the vet that she always empties her bladder long before we even get there. What would be done for her? I'm working on desensitizes her to the carrier and being in a car but haven't made much progress yet.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Is the needle in the bladder painful???

Coco is so terrified of the trip to the vet that she always empties her bladder long before we even get there. What would be done for her? I'm working on desensitizes her to the carrier and being in a car but haven't made much progress yet.
If the bladder is empty vet won't be able to get a sample.
That's what happened with my cat. The vet could not get a sample out of him.
Vet kept him there for a day and still could not get a sample.
Anyhow, I don't think you need to worry unless the cat is sick.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I'm aware that the vet won't need to get a urine sample unless there is some reason for it. But I believe that "forewarned is forearmed". I don't want to wait until the need arises before I consider the possible problems that might occur. In particular I'd like to know what to expect so if the I'm at the vet and she wants to stick a humongous needle into one of my furbabies. I'd like to know beforehand that it is (or possibly *isn't*) necessary. Finding out afterwards doesn't help much.

So, does anyone know if the needle method is painful? Are there alternatives?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure it can be quite uncomfortable, but I don't know how else the vet will do it. If it needs to be done it needs to be done. The vet will make the cat as comfortable as possible.

That is good you are trying to get your cats used to the carrier. Just leave it out all the time and put blankets and toys in it, even put food or treats in them too. Never shut the door on the cat though until it is time to go somewhere. This is what I have done and I have never had a problem getting cats into the carriers.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco just had alot of Urine Tests for a Bladder Infection. I never asked how they did them though. Her last one was the day Yoshi was Pts Jan 11 and itwas Neg. Sometimes if there isnt enough Urine they give her Sub Q's and keep her for a hour.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It varies quite a bit from vet to vet, but the best sample is a cystocentesis, where they stick a needle directly into the bladder. The sample really isn't all that hard to get as long as you have a moderately cooperative patient and a couple sets of hands to lay the kitty on their side/back and keep them still.

If your cat has a small bladder, its common to give subcutaneous fluids to encourage faster urine formation. This makes the specific gravity innacurate, so its a bad plan for cats with renal failure, but when diagnosing diabetes or UTI, its a great way to get the very important diagnostic sample you need.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I mean I guess there's no real way to tell how painful/uncomfortable it is, but I assisted on several cystos when I worked at the vet and I can't recall ever having a problem with any cat... of course they are squrimy, but with the proper hold, it's usually not a problem... it's really the only way to get a good sterile sample out of a cat... my vet has done the bladder squeeze too, but it doesnt always work

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has a UTI (I'm pretty sure) and has a vet appointment in a day or so. The vet recommended I get my own sample to keep stress down, and explained to clean out the litterbox, keep it empty and place some shredded trash bags in there. I also read online, suggested to put aluminum foil in the bottom, then pour it into a container. My poor cat has been through a needle and a cath, and I do NOT want to put him through it again. Of course this may not always be an option, as every situation is different ...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some kind of special litter from the vet. It looks like white beads. You clean out the litter box and put the beads in, then wait for the cat to do his thing. It won't absorb the urine, so you can scoop it into the sterile jar. I didn't actually try it, because it was just for an annual checkup, so I don't know how well it would work.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the helpful information! Now I know what my options are. I'm especially glad that getting my own sample at home might be an option.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
May want to check with your vet first -- I don't know if they may take your sample? I'd hate for you to go through getting it yourself, taking it in then hearing "We take our own urine samples, sorry". I was excited when my vet told me that, because my cat has had the horrible crystal blockage and necessary next step sometimes - "wee-wee-go-bye-bye" surgery for crystal blockage and despises the very word "vet". I wanted nothing to do with keeping the cat at the vet longer than necessary, and to keep his stress down as much as possible! I want to stay with him at all times, as well, to try and keep him calm. He almost lost his little mind last time!

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found this old thread via google (notice it has over 1000 views, so lets get this right :D )

1) I don't feel we give a definitive answer here.

2) + 3) And I feel we may have misinformation.

1) So, if the needle is not painful or invasive or dangerous, no anestisia and  is sterile, then

why on earth would they cath the poor thing?

Rubbing the bladder I get, why go poking into organs when you can just squeeze?

Is cathing a healthier alternative to cystocentesis (needle) test?

Is my human man psychology and youth clouding my judgement here?  I have never had that done to me, and is one of the reasons I did not follow in my Dr Dads footsteps, I could never insert something into another humans urethrea.

As far as collecting at home, they once told me to bring in the clumps ?!?!? sounds like a scam there.

I would figure the vets would choose whatever method is fastest, safest, and payable.

If cystocentesis is safe, then again, why would they ask you to try and get it, you are more likely to give up and never pay them the 40$ fee.

Same goes for fecal sample, its so hard to get that especially in multi cat households. (check poop for pasasites)

2) It was mentioned that doctors won't perform this test unless the cat is very sick.  Well only 2 people hinted at it.

I plan on having urine screens every year for my cats (have for my current cat, and plan on for my new kittens).

This is to early detect acidic urine and formation of crystals.  I can afford the tests, and is only for the future health of the cats.

3) Areias posted that girls get the needle, and boys get the cath.

Again I am going to assume they were misinformed, or they have one of those old school private practice vets.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the manner of getting a urine sample from a cat is mostly a matter of a vet's preference. The vet I did my internship with used cystocentesis only while my own previous vet preferred to use a special litter that would allow the owner to get a urine sample at home (and no, you can't use the clumps). Others use the press the bladder method but it doesn't always work well. I have never heard of a catheter being commonly used to get a urine sample. That seems like something that would be way too painful and stressful than necessary.

The benefit of using the special litter is of course that there is no stress or pain involved but the drawback is that the sample isn't sterile and it can be tricky to get since any poop in the litter box would make the sample unusable. If you have more than one cat you would also have to isolate the cat in question until you get a sample which can be a bit of a pain in the butt. Cystocentesis isn't completely painless, of course, but it's quick and the cats I've seen get it done don't seem very bothered by it. It helps if the vet is good at it because you don't want to stick more than once if you can help it. I'm guessing that some vets don't choose this method routinely is because they aren't comfortable doing it. Using the special litter is of course beneficial because the cat doesn't have to go to the vet to get the test done.

I don't agree with the comment that a urine analysis is only done for cats that are very sick. I've had it done on my cats due to minor concerns. I don't see why it couldn't be done as part of a routine physical as a preventive measure.